Routing wires to dashboard -

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Routing wires to dashboard -

Post by phr1$k37 »

hi Folks,

What is the quickest way to route some small wires from engine bay to dash? I have not looked (or remember) if we can stuff through a crack in the side panels or whatever. I am asking because I received my KC HiLites and I want them on ASAP so I can show off to you all hah ha but also cause I want to know if I made a wise purchase or not ... :D

I think I will put them in on Sunday as Saturday is filled with appointments.
Keith if you read this, does your lights mounted in the grill bounce? I guess worst case for me is if they bounce to fabricate some plates later :)
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Routing wires to dashboard -

Post by potskie »

Through the steering shaft grommet / foam proctor thingie. :yawinkle:
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Scratching head ... I think battery was in the way right? Or is that simple just slip it through with some grease? LOL
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

I think I ran wires thru the E-brake grommet.
Just use an ice pick or similar tool and poke a hole in the grommet.
Fast
Easy
Clean
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

phr1$k37 wrote:

Keith if you read this, does your lights mounted in the grill bounce? I guess worst case for me is if they bounce to fabricate some plates later :)
No, the lights ( are not heavy) and seemed to stay solid when tightened down,never noticed any bounce or flicker with them while driving.

Are you going to power them direct from the batt with a decent gauge? if so (don't forget your fuse) and then fire them from the dash switch through a relay? Wire them properly and you'll be much happier with the results,lookin forward to the pics :supz:

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

You bet dude! Power coming off battery, relay switch from an ignition wire so I do not get in crap from the local law enforcement, on/off switch in cabin and then another relay to have it come on with hi-beams even if on/off switch is off. :)

I think I will mount them today I hope but wiring maybe tomorrow as I am busy but that is no excuse muahhaha

thevalleyboy
I sleep in my van

Post by thevalleyboy »

I ran a wire for my trailer brakes - I posted a photo on the old board - give me a minute..... Um yes there it is - I drilled a new hole heres some links to photos

Drill Hole for Grommet

I thought I had more but cannot find them - hope this helps - don't forget to seal it up good! :)
2001 Astro LT AWD - SOLD @ 180,200KM
Now I got a 2006 Ford Expedition King Ranch 4 x 4
to pull a Hybrid RV - 2006 Kodiak 235
Calgary, Alberta