Recovery Strap

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Recovery Strap

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I have to agree with potskie about the strength of those eye bolts. Do not do any side pulls and use both at the same time when pulling forward. Be sure to lay a blanket or jacket over the tow strap just in case something lets go. Also use a strap with no metal ends if snatching.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Yes, I think Potskie has some valid points on my eye bolt recovery hooks. The pirate 4x4 recovey site should give me more info. Thanks for the update on the safety issues of serious recovery. I was trying to keep the original factory look of the front bumper and plastic trim but a more robust tow hook is probably a good idea.
I am thinking of some possible improvements:

1. I need heavier L bracket or a bigger flat plate under cross member so the shank length of the eye bolts can be shortened from 6 inch to maybe 2 or 3 inch.

2. mabe I could use a heavy duty U bolt instead of the eye bolt.

thanks
back to the dwg board.

Astrophysics

Topic author
midnighthunder89
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by midnighthunder89 »

Thanks all this is all great help. I am curious what is the biggest mess everyone has gotten into or recovered someone from. I hit a deer not to long ago and put the van into a ditch with 3 ft of snow all around and 50ft from the road. The wrecker had to pull me out. no damage to the van though they are built like tanks.
99 sle awd safari
Another addition to cash for clunkers.

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

A few years ago me and buddy were tooling around some known trails around here in my RWD van. They were some tough trails too so we brought along recovery gear expecting to get suck. We didn't but we cam across a Lifted 70s Bronco buried upto the doors in mud. Boy was he embarrassed when a RWD Safari backed into the same muck and dragged him out of it.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I haven't studied this yet... but I will as I put my van back together... but I think installing a 3" receiver on the front is the answer. I want the receiver coming out where the license plate is so the plate can hide it when not in use. Obviously this will require fab work...
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Rockwerx

Post by Rockwerx »

Astrophysics wrote:Yes, I think Potskie has some valid points on my eye bolt recovery hooks. The pirate 4x4 recovey site should give me more info. Thanks for the update on the safety issues of serious recovery. I was trying to keep the original factory look of the front bumper and plastic trim but a more robust tow hook is probably a good idea.
I am thinking of some possible improvements:

1. I need heavier L bracket or a bigger flat plate under cross member so the shank length of the eye bolts can be shortened from 6 inch to maybe 2 or 3 inch.

2. mabe I could use a heavy duty U bolt instead of the eye bolt.

thanks
back to the dwg board.

Astrophysics
I think that you are on the right track with your tow hook mods. Lots of semi trucks use an eye bolt system for towing them in and out of oil field leases around here. If you are concerned about the strength then use some larger eye bolts. It is easy to fab up a tow bar that attaches to both eye hooks. Can you post a pic or two of your setup? Good luck!
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

I read the 4x4 recovery article and learned a lot. I then made my front tow hooks much stronger.
After understanding that the eye bolts are weak. I got 3/4 ton 1999 Chevy truck tow hooks from Dealer for $25 each and beefed up the steel plate from 3/16 to 1/4 using a bigger USP strap, actually 2 of the heavy straps. I think I posted some of the details on another thread, sorry bout that.

anyway the USP straps are 6 inch wide by 25 1/2 long and already have 12 large holes drilled into them.
the 3 drain holes on the bottom of the Astro AWD cross member just happen to line up so it is a bolt on.
the 3 inch center on the OEM Chevy tow hooks also just happen to line up with the holes in the plate.

one future mod I might do is to put a 2 1/2 inch spacer box tube under the hooks to move them up higher so they are accessbile via the oval knock out holes in the Astro oem plastic spoiler under the bumper.
I used the old trailer hitch trick of blind install of bolts into the cross memeber and used grade 8 bolts and lock washers and nuts.

Astrophysics
Attachments
DSC03262.JPG

Topic author
midnighthunder89

Post by midnighthunder89 »

thanks alot I like the looks of that I might do similar but it will be later summer maybe...
99 sle awd safari
Another addition to cash for clunkers.

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Looks good and strong! Definitely a vast safety improvement. It also appears liek it would act like a bit of a skid plate which can be good aswell.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Wow - This is just perfect ... more time and money to kiss good bye! LOL I will be looking into do some front tow points as well for recovery. I think T.Low will as well. Hopefully I will never need to have them used ... but blah might have to.

I dont mean to hijack the thread but can you folks recommend some recovery kits? I like the Master-Pull (google it) but here where I am nothing to of that quality is available.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

phr1$k37 wrote:
Wow - This is just perfect ... more time and money to kiss good bye! LOL I will be looking into do some front tow points as well for recovery. I think T.Low will as well. Hopefully I will never need to have them used ... but blah might have to.

I dont mean to hijack the thread but can you folks recommend some recovery kits? I like the Master-Pull (google it) but here where I am nothing to of that quality is available.
Try tooling around http://www.pirate4x4.com in the forums.

There's alot of stuff there for offroading and such. The for sale section is massive.

That's about all the advice I can give. I personally just buy what's avail locally.

If you have the right equipment on your van fromt he get go all you really need is some snatch straps preferably with a leather wrapped loop and maybe a shovel / something to use for traction like traction mats for those winter months.

Now if you wanna get into winching then this will become a VERY long discussion LOL.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Thanks Pots! I am on that site right now under your recommendations!
Well what is in your neck of the woods? I am quite tempted to just order the master-pull for $150 + shipping. The shops here for a nylon 22,500lbs strap (just one) goes for $60 alone - wow.

As for snow ... I dont plan to get stuck much in snow. She dont get stuck in snow and with the lift it works better. The only time I almost got stuck was pulling my buddies 1994 lifted Sierra on 35" out of the side for tooling around in front of me on HWY 3 in 2-3' untouched, unplowed snow. We were trying to cut time to the Okanagan instead of taking the main toll roads ;p He was showing off to me and hit something cover by the snow -_- He is the same buddy who would often say "its not deep, lets go!" and when we hit the mud hole he will rapid scream "go go go!!!"
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Yup this kit is pretty good looking
http://www.masterpull.com/item.cfm?itemid=9120

That essentially all I've got and pieced together at various stores around here. IIRC I did it for 120 or so. Got my hitch insert at crappy tire and along with some shackles and the snatch strap I got at a surplus military place. Same place I got my hi-lift jack from actually. My hi-lift is a 48" all cast that I got for $35! I also carry some 30,000# tow straps as well for those times when you just need to flat tow.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Uh Pots - any chance you can still get that hi-lift for $35? I was about to buy the one from Dan at Overlands ... ;p

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

phr1$k37 wrote:
Uh Pots - any chance you can still get that hi-lift for $35? I was about to buy the one from Dan at Overlands ... ;p
I could definitely look but I can't guarantee it wouldn't be the same amount with shipping. Then again you have to ship and pay for import from OLV so it probably would be cheaper lol. There are tons of places in Canada that sell this stuff. Look for agricultural supply places Hi-Lifts are very commonly used and actually marketed to agriculture it wasn't till recently that they were marketed toward offroading.