2005 fuel pump from hell

Topic author
slackdaddy
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

2005 fuel pump from hell

Post by slackdaddy »

Fuel pump died 6 months ago (no hum on key), towed to shop, new pump all was good for 6 months.
I started to get an occasional "no hum, no start" but it would hum and start after 2-5 attempts (10-60 seconds of trying).
Then it started cutting out while driving, I would drift onto shoulder and restart, after 1-5 attempts, it would only start after I would get the hum of the fuel pump. The cutting out while driving comes in waves, I can drive for 2 hours fine, then 20 min of cutting out every 2-10 min. I have had it back to the shop 2 times, they can not get it to cut out.
I finally dropped it off and told them don't call me till it's fixed, they "said" they put a 2nd new pump in. 2 hours later it is cutting out again. I can not verify if they really put a 2nd pump in,, I don't trust them, they said they use "Autozone pumps"
When it went out yesterday and would not restart for 10 min, I noticed the relay was REAL hot to the touch. I have replaced the relay twice, no change.

Does anyone have a fuel pump wiring diagram for 2005?
Does the fuel pump run continually when the engine is running?
Is the wiring harness a know issue with 2005?
Its a cargo van, can I cut an access in the floor, or does 2005 have a shield on the tank?
I am thinking about splicing a wire onto the fuel pump hot and putting a 12v bulb to show if I am getting 12v to the pump when I loose the engine.

Many thanks for any help,
Slack

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Re: 2005 fuel pump from hell

Post by Stroverlander »

Every new fuel pump should come with an upgraded replacement harness/connector that is spliced in. Was the filter changed?

Yes, the fuel pump runs constantly, a pressure and leakdown test will tell you if the pump is putting out the correct amount of pressure (55-62 psi) and if system is maintaining pressure.

My 2004 didn't have a shield over the fuel pump on top of the tank.

Here's the 2005 fuel pump wiring diagram:

Larger image here: http://i.imgur.com/JTYhSDm.jpg

2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander