Second Alt ?

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Second Alt ?

Post by Rebel »

Just curious and won't go into any detail but would I need to run a second alt. if I were going to run a 550 watt AC unit ? It would only be on while driving.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Second Alt ?

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

That A/C unit will draw around 46 amps by itself. Since you run a carb'd engine, I would think a stock 105 amp alternator would be good since you will be driving with it. If you were sitting idling for longer periods I would look at swapping in a single high amp alternator. You could also add a second battery to make sure it doesn't pull the voltage down too much.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

thanks for the info. I think the 140 amp alt might be the way to go but still not sure on wire size. This electric thing is not my cup of tea or Mint Julip that is.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

violent b
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by violent b »

if you are upgrading the alternator upgrade the wires going to the battery also. there are many posts about upgraging the "BIG 3"; the power wire going from the alternator to the battery, the ground wire going from the battery to the frame, and the ground wire going from the battery to the engine block.
I would recommend this upgrade to everyone, using at least 4ga. wire. I would add wire going to the alternator from the battery and keep the stock wire connected, current will go the path of the least resistance.
one more thing I did was add a ground wire from the case of the alternator(s) to the battery's ground. this way I am not relying just on the block ground for a good ground.
The Midget and Monkey madman!

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Yep,,did all these a couple of years ago. Think with a 140 amp. alt I'll be ok but just not sure on wire size from battery to invertor and invertor to ac unit.

VIDEO

violent b

Post by violent b »

Rebel wrote:just not sure on wire size from battery to invertor and invertor to ac unit.
depending on how far back the invertor is I would say at least 4ga. (remember to add your fuse at the battery too). the a/c unit has a regular 3 pronged cord correct?

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

no, it's not the regular 3 prong,,it's looks more like a three prong 220 plug but fits regular 110 recepticle. Very large,,first time I've ever seen one.

VIDEO

violent b

Post by violent b »

Rebel wrote:no, it's not the regular 3 prong,,it's looks more like a three prong 220 plug but fits regular 110 recepticle. Very large,,first time I've ever seen one.

is it just the plug and no wires?
if so 8 ga. wires should be fine.

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

No, plug is attached to wires that run to AC unit.
Thanks for all the info,,really appreciate it.

VIDEO

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The plug on the end of the A/C unit is probably one of the new arc fault interrupters. Our A/C units here at work all have them now. They have a test and reset button just like a GFCI does.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

That's exactly right,,forgot about the reset button on the plug.

VIDEO

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Just a reminder Larry,its better to have the inverter closer to the batt and run a longer A.C cord than the other way around
oh yea, take lotsa pics :supz:

Topic author
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Just a reminder Larry,its better to have the inverter closer to the batt and run a longer A.C cord than the other way around
Good point Keith. Thanks for the electrical help you guys. It's not one of my things for sure. I've got the plan in my head as far as fab work. Will do on the pics.
Got to lay 179 feet of shoemolding in the house and after that, think Susan may let me back in the garage. :yawinkle:

VIDEO

uncle-vinny
I am smitten with my van

Post by uncle-vinny »

Hey Larry,

You don't need AC you're too cool already. How you been guy? How are you feeling?

:supz: :supz: :supz:

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I like to run 2 guage welding ground cable for everything HD including my big three.

The fine strands and the fat diameter make it a great conductor,no matter how long the length is, make sure that you solder the ends. (use a blow torch)
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc