4" HD Spindle Lift Teaser Pix!!

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

4" HD Spindle Lift Teaser Pix!!

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Well, I would be done by now if my new stainless braided brake hoses had come with the correct flare fitting. Also as it turns out, if you work on your van for say 7 days in a row at your apartment complex......it will most likely result in eviction which will likely be my fate. #-o Not good when the manager parks next to you, hates your guts, has been lookin' for a reason to get rid of you and is a total @ssh0le.

I will create a build post at some point when it is all finished, but I thought I would share a few teaser pix since I have nothing better to do.......@#!%* brake lines! ](*,)

This is my garage, to the left is the managers parking stall. I love her, to death. )>) I did the entire lift in my carport with about 1 foot of room on the passenger side to maneuver, and sometimes less than that on the drivers side. The BIOTCH did come and go every so often so I had more space to move.

Now, I'm just gonna throw up some images that show the parts and work involved in Overland's 4" spindle lift. I spent many, many hours researching exactly what parts I would need in order to get all the goodies that a 1500 series GMC/Chevy pickup would have bolted to it's spindle. The list of parts is significant, expensive and not all readily availble at your local autoparts store. I literally had stuff shipped from all over the USA.

Dan and I exchanged about 10 million emails back and forth, and when all was said and done he informed me that I might need wheel spacers to prevent my wheels (ProComp 1079 15x8" 3.75 backspacing and -19mm offset) from rubbing the caliper and spindle. I pretty much $hit my pants when I heard that because I had asked him VERY specifically if I would have issues like that BEFORE I placed my order. I just spent $600 on those wheels 5 months ago and I wasn't about to get new ones for this lift. So, I thought it would be a GREAT IDEA to make a test fixture, the exact wheel/tire combo I intended to run. Everything fit perfect, with 1/2 - 3/4" room to spare.

The spindles from Overland arrived unpainted with ever so slight surface rust beginning to form so I knew the parts would need to be painted for longevity. Only problem was we had a friggin' freak rain storm here in CA with tornados :yikes: and the works one day after a triple digit heat wave, go figure. So great painting days quickly turned to crap by the time I was ready to paint. I painted on the balcony, then moved the parts inside to dry. I found the bathroom with a space heater running and the door closed worked great!

Now it's time to get dirty! 8-[

Old spindle comes off:

Now if your gonna bother with replacing the entire spindle, rotor and calipers it seems like a good time to install new Moog Heavy Duty BJ's as well. I had issues with this, but I'll save that for later. Long story.

To remove the ball joints You MUST rent a ball joint press. Cannot be done otherwise!

Out with the old:

Get yourself a new 1/8" and 1/2" drill bit, and a stool to sit on. You will be drilling for a long ass time I gaurantee it. But those rivets come out pretty easy afterward:

In with the new:

Now, as some of you may have seen in my "TRW / Moog Variable Rate Coil Springs" post, I decided to get some! Spent $100 plus $50 shipping at Kragen, only to find them for $65 on Amazon with free shipping a week later. #-o As you can see, they are about 1" taller than the stock spring. They are variable rate, as opposed to constant rate like the stock spring. Variable rate meaning they require more force to compress as they shorten. They start at 622# rate, which is the same as Overland's 1.5" HD coils, and as far as I can tell they are the same. Cannot comment on their feel yet as I have yet to move the van an inch with no brakes! )>) You MUST rent an INSIDE coil spring compressor to install these springs. They will lift the van off your jackstands if you try to compress them under the vehicle weight alone. No need for any pneumatic tools though. They don't need to compress too much to get things aligned.

(Note: springs are upside down in this photo)

Bolting up the new components:

Don't be a jackass and install the spring compressor incorrectly like I did! :withstupid: There were no instructions with the tool, and having never used one before I certainly wasn't expecting this:

I was able to get it out eventually, but save yourself some trouble and put the bottom cup in so you can pull it out afterwards!

Right away I was concerned with the angle of the upper ball joint in relation to the spindle. Dan had recommended using his ball joint spacers, which he kindly provided at no charge. They are VERY beefy:

I couldn't use them because they require the use of a 5/16" bolt, and my ball joints would only accept a 1/4" bolt. And no, you can't just drill out super hardened steel like I thought. Dan did tell me which BJ to purchase, but they were the cheap $10 kind. I thought I'd go HD, but as it turns out the cheapos have an 11/32" hole which nicely accepts a 5/16" bolt. I thought I was saving myself a headache, when in reality I should have listened to Dan and bought what he specified. So, the result is a nasty angle, which will eventually lead me to purchasing the cheap BJ's and redoing the upper control arm. :rolleyes:

Now for the new rotors. Wish I had bought drilled and slotted, but this lift was already growing way too expensive. I will upgrade at a later more financially secure date:

Painted my calipers red, 'cause I'm cool like that and they will look bitchin' through the holes in my wheels! The 1500 series calipers and shoes are pretty nice. The shoes just snap on:

I had to zip tie the ABS sensor cable to the spindle for a lack of better fastener. I will buy some large steel hose clamps for this eventually. I totally lucked out in that the 1500 series ABS sensors I got used had the same connector as the original, and it just snapped right into the wiring harness! That never happens!

And FINALLY what you have all been waiting for:

Tada! Looks AWESOME, and right after you get the tires on you discover all the unforseen problems of your new spindles!

MAJOR bad TOE-IN! But it's adjusted rather easily so you can then drive it to the shop for an alignment. I freaked out at first though. I was wondering why Dan had sent me tie rod couplings.

The wheels should be pointed straight!

More pix to come once I get the brake problem solved and I can get it out of the garage. I did also install Overland's 4" HD leaf springs in back but I purposely left that out because it seems old hat in this forum and I didn't want to bore anybody. The end result is my fender lips are about 36" above ground running 235/75 tires. I do have new BFG 31x10.5" Mud Terrains waiting to go on so it might get an inch or so taller. I also left out pix with shocks becuase I am doing something a bit unique and it's TOP SECRET for now. Hope you enjoy the pix! :supz: Jack

P.S. The spindles provide 4" lift. I already had Overland's 2" lift (body spacers and shackles) installed. I also installed 4" HD leaf springs. So the end result is a 6" lift.
Last edited by 97CargoCrawler on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 4" HD Spindle Lift Teaser Pix!!

Post by astrozam »

Looks great :supz:

Nice job on the pics and info,I'll need to read this a little more thoroughly when I get home from work :cheers:

ScottS
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by ScottS »

Excellent write-up !

I would post the rear lift as well , new members will want to see it
1998 Safari AWD NE OHIO
1995 Safari AWD

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Congrads Crawler!
Looks great and thanks for all the indepth pics and info.
Yep, a second time around would always take less time. It's that old learnin' curve. #-o
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Very Cool! Thanks for a great write up! =D> =P~
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Suwheeeet! That thing looks awesome and its not even done yet! Its gonna be great. We're gonna have to meet somewhere to go on an off road camping trip or something.

Excellent photos. I love the parts in the bathroom; brings back many good memories.

I agree with the others; if you have some time, go ahead and post the rear spring lift as well if you took any pics. I didn't stop to take enough pics of mine.

Is that your apt manager's Ford Ranger that's crowdin' the line toward your side? That little uncooperative weasel.

I am going to be in Sebastopol for a wedding next weekend, then we are taking our time driving back north. I assume you are probably much farther south.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Great pictures with a good write-up, you certainly are an inspiration to all the raised 4wd guys......

And you live here in KarlyFornia, where most StroFaris roll low.

Do you live in Montrose in LA County, just off the 210 North?

If so, you are only about 25 miles from me, I`m in Arcadia, near Irwindale Speedway.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Yes! Right off the 210. I have yet to see another "StroFari" lifted around these parts. I did however hear of one spotted somewhere in Van Nuys or Simi Valley area by coworker. And the guy at the 4WheelParts store in Van Nuys told me of a guy who lifted a Stro with spindles too down the street from there. Would be awesome to see it on the street someday. One thing I have always liked about driving my FJ40 LandCruiser is that other Cruiser owners always wave when they see you because it such a rare occurance.

One thing I forgot to mention about the spindles is the track width. Of course all that will be included in my official write up, along with part numbers and cost. The front track width is now 3" wider than the rear! It's not as noticeable now with most of the fender removed, but I'm sure it will look odd when it's all back together. Looks like I might need some 1.5" wheel spacers in the rear to compensate. One more expensive item to buy. And I wouldn't get anything but billet steel as the aluminum ones scare the crap out of me. Oh and I now have metric front lugs and standard rears! Now I really gotta watch any moron who changes my tires!

I will post some leaf pix in a few days. I didn't take as many as I did of the spindles.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

AWESOME write-up and pics! Your van looks great...if you wanna send it out to me I'll test drive it for ya'! :muhaha:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Great job!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Yep, you are just up the street. (25 miles)

Not too many lifted StoFaris around here to wave at, but if you drive your van to the EastCoast, you will be slapping "hi fives" at the corner of every block.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I've just been all over hell and back trying to get an adapter for the brake lines. Of course the specialty brake shop down the street had the correct bubble flange to inverted flange adapter......but he only had ONE! Ahhhhhh sheeeeeit! Kragen didn't have them so I went to CarQuest. I tell you, it's only my second visit to a CarQuest, but I love that place. I have been to two different ones and both guys that helped me had worked there for over 16 years! Try to find that kind of experienced sales associate at your local autoparts store! Incredible! He walked right over to the bin and had it in my hands in 10 seconds! I also bought the correct BJ's that Dan at Overland had told me to get. They are the cheapos, but the 5/16" bolt slid right in! Now I can use the BJ spacers and correct that nasty angle. I am so friggin' stoked right now. I was howling in the car on the way home! :supz: :guitar:

So I'm headed back down to the infamous carport to install these adapters, then drive to some vacant parking lot and replace the BJ's so as not to have to loose another good tool up the managers @ss. And I'm not talking about my special service tool, but rather a nice big, fat, greased up wrench. \:D/

With any luck I will be wheeling my mini-MONSTER around within the hour! I tell you, after a full week of working on it I am pretty much lookin' forward to driving it.......over the managers truck! :butthead:

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Nice!!! :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Let me know if you ever have any problems with getting brake parts or any kind of fittings, as a auto technician I have good resources for 'strange fittings' and other stuff.

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Crawler, well done and well documented. I just love it when others take the time to photo shoot their projects--almost makes me feel like I was the one who was doing the work without any of the expense or sore muscles!
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.