Transfer case swap to a 2 speed - electric shift

FROM AWD'S TO 2-SPEED MANUAL SHIFT, IF IT LINKS THE REAR AXLE TO THE FRONT AXLE, POST IT HERE.

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Transfer case swap to a 2 speed - electric shift

Post by T.Low »

OK, I just bought a '97 s10 Blazer for $300, (no motor) a couple hours before leaving for a 10 day van tour of Northern California. My bud (obviously a very good bud) drove across the county and towed the thing home to his barn for me. :supz:

I just got home Sunday, and he's already got a lot of the parts off it for me. He asks where on the Blazer is the Transfer case control module? Is this explainable over the computer, or...? He says there are a couple of boxes that look like they could be it.

I'm afraid the original "stripper" that got the motor also may have just wacked off all the wiring. Won't be able to make it out to his barn till tomorrow.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Aha.

A phone call to the brother in law gets an email reply stating that the TCCM on the '97 Blazer is located behind the dash, behind/below the radio. It plugs in from the top.

Hopefully I can check tonite after work.
ImageImageImageImage

COMP
I am smitten with my van

Post by COMP »

anything new ???

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

COMP wrote:anything new ???

Sorry, I jumped to a new thread with it. I followed the above instructions with the exception of needing the wiring diagram from the transfer case donor vehicle.

The job took less than a day. The only real snag was that the clocking on the NP233 was different, which created clearence issues between the front drive shaft and the crossmember. We notched out the crossmember and welded in reinforcement steel and problem was solved.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2586
ImageImageImageImage

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Time to do some reading...Posi-Lok
Ok, am I missing something here: a hood release cable, some wire ties and two little pieces of bent metal... $204!!!! :yikes: I mean call me old school, I do remember when a loaf of day old bread was .10. But $200 is what I can get the entire axle assembly for....
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Got a NP233 T case and wiring and TCCM from 98 Blazer to install in my 2003 AWD Astro.
Does the TCCM fit under dash or on passenger side kick panel? Where did you guys mount the tccm?
I got the smaller dash switch plate from a 95 Blazer. The 98 sw panel was too big for astro dash.
I would like to get unlock type axle from Blazer too. What donor axle foits in 2003 Astro? Does it matter that my 2003 has 6 lug wheels?

My 3.43 axle makes slow starts. Should i also buy the 3.73 diff front from blazer, and the blazer rear diff with G80 3.73.
2003 Astro awd
2inch overland lift
225/70-16 Mich LTX tires

Thank you.
AP

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I dont think the 5 bolt 6 bolt makes any difference since the axle assembly in only the center section and there are half shafts out to the wheels.
As for what years are compatible, My vans are all gen 1. Sorry. I am not certain on the newer ones like yours.
I would just suggest you keep to a similar year, or take yours out and look it over really well so you know what to look for.
as far as I know the only differences are the early vs late gen axles having a different flange style with either a stub or no stub where the CV half shaft flange bolts on.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Thank you for the explanation. Now i understand how the front axle and half shafts and axle tube work together. This weekend i will work on electric connections and test the T case motor encoder .
AP

Topic author
LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Look for as close to a 2003 blazer or S-10 donor as you can. The rear diff will not work in your van but the 3.73 gears and G80 posi will swap over.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]Excellent ideas. Thanks
AP
Attachments
98 switch plate is bigger than 95-96, so i will use smaller switch that i got from a 95 blazer.  Does TCCM just get stuffed under dash on drivers side, or did you mount it to kick panel or under seat, etc?
98 switch plate is bigger than 95-96, so i will use smaller switch that i got from a 95 blazer. Does TCCM just get stuffed under dash on drivers side, or did you mount it to kick panel or under seat, etc?
image.jpg
1998 Blazer Dash switch is larger than 1995-96.  Wiring is the same so i will use smaller switch to mount on dash.  Does the TCCM module just get stuffed under dash by driver or did you mount it on kick panel ?
1998 Blazer Dash switch is larger than 1995-96. Wiring is the same so i will use smaller switch to mount on dash. Does the TCCM module just get stuffed under dash by driver or did you mount it on kick panel ?

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

[attachment=0]image.jpg[/attachment]
Np233 from 98 blazer+ tccm + wiring harness+ switch
Attachments
image.jpg

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

More photos of parts for NP233 T case project.
Attachments
95 blazer switch, vs 98 blazer switch, TCCM from 98,  wiring from 98 Blazer.
95 blazer switch, vs 98 blazer switch, TCCM from 98, wiring from 98 Blazer.

Topic author
LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I don't recall where the guys have mounted the TCCM but I would mount it where it is most convenient.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,
Is the 4x4 Posi lock cable still working good?
I made a little progress degreasing the NP233C i got from a 1998 ZR2 Blazer.
I and sorting out the harness wiring and plan to test the TCCM and motor encoder to see if it can shift into 4hi and 4 lo.
I hope it all works, then i can do t-case install.
I would like to have the disconnect on front axle too. I will try to pull the right axle slider from junk yard from the Blazer.
Does unlocking front make front steering and feel more supple? Is our existing Astro axle actually strong and more reliable since it is always locked? I probably don't really need 2W LO.
I have 3.42 axle ratios and no G80 in rear . I may try to get the 3.73 G80 rear diff and front diff from the 98 blazer ZR2 as well.
AP
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Do you carry a spare TCCM module on off road treks? How about a spare motor encoder and dash switch?
AP