anyone here ever buy an engine from Summit racing?

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

anyone here ever buy an engine from Summit racing?

Post by markmitchinnh »

Chevrolet Performance 350 C.I.D. L31-R Long Block Assemblies 12530283

This is the one I may buy in the near future and go with the stock type egr set up and an edelbrock 4 barrel intake then a TBI adapter, stock (new from rock auto) exhaust manifolds and a cam change. Not in a hurry if I do this the new engine will go in after we move to a western state.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

Drummernaut
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: anyone here ever buy an engine from Summit racing?

Post by Drummernaut »

I am not sure what kind of info you are looking for but I bought a blueprint 383 short block from Summit. It arrived in about a week and is installed in my Monte waiting to be wired up. I had no problems but I think it may depend on which manufacture the engine is coming from.

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

That is a stone stock Vortec 350. I'd call a local builder/rebuilder around you and see if you could get a similar engine for a better price. The other thing is that you can get heads set up for higher valve lift and/or a bit warmer camshaft.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Packaged deals in order for the seller to come up with those deal pricing and still make a decent profit margin requires the lowest common denominater parts. Summit,Jegs,farms out those builds.Yrs ago my partner and me where in Jeg's shop when they still had it open and back then they did build their own stuff.But no more.
The Goodwrench option is a vendor in Mexico with questionable machine tolerances.

Not much changes because it is a pre-packaged deal-you get what you pay for. At the very least if you where to buy a 1996 to 2000 L31 donor vehicle and harvest the engine,harness,and anything else you need,then scrap the rest,you would get back some of the purchase price for needed machine work.Doing it that way with a good local machine shop,the money is spent on a build that you have direct control of what that build consists of.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

Ok thank you all for your replies. I am not looking for a race engine I just think a V8 would be better for towing and hauling things then the V6. I now have two vans one is my 89 Rs and the other is a 93 safari I just picked up for 400 bucks and it needs a spider assembly. As soon as winter is gone I will get the 93 on the road so I can take my time customizing the 89.
The V8 is a future project for the 89 so I was seeing what would be the best route.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Mark,
NOT Everything THAT Comes Out Of My Mouth Is For Race Cars. In fact quite the opposite. If I give you some in sight to what is being sold in the aftermarket,it is solely for your benefit.

The business I am involved in has sold both hard core engines and street well manner daily drivers and everything in between.We're backlogged and are not accepting any new customers.

Do your remember ever me trying to sell you anything??. Nope.

Oh well,just another case of me "trying" to help you out with a question your asking that you already made your mind up on. #-o ](*,) ](*,)

One thing I am very sure about from the number of yrs of being on these forums.You can survey a idea you want to do over a number of web sites until you find answers that are more acceptable. :yawinkle: :toimonster: :muhaha: :muhaha:
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY