Michelins cracking, need new tires, fewer Astro choices...

HAVE A TIRE QUESTION? LIKE YOUR TIRES AND WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW? NEED TO KNOW IF THEY WILL FIT? POST IT HERE.

Topic author
deleteitall
I am merely driving my van

Michelins cracking, need new tires, fewer Astro choices...

Post by deleteitall »

Here's the tire history of my 97 Astro with stock 15 x 6.5 aluminum rims:

P215/75/15
Stock from factory.

P235/75/15 Michelin XC LT4 (Sears version of LTS MS) (4.26% larger diameter than stock)
These tires were on the van when I bought the van used. I loved the increased load capacity of this size P rated tire and the wider footprint. BUT the increased diameter caused noticeable reduced braking power, reduced engine power, transmission shifting late, sluggish steering, slower driving in general and I think worse gas mileage. I will not go back to this size.

P235/70/15 Michelin LTS MS (.92% larger diameter than stock)
Of all tire sizes my rims can take this is the closest diameter (larger or smaller) to the stock size. The larger air volume still gives a higher load capacity over P215's without going to a Light Truck tire. I got my long wear and safety/performance I expected from these Michelins BUT they started to form cracks a year ago in the sidewalls and between the treads. Now they have 4 years and 48,000 miles on these tires and they are looking bad and even unsafe with so much cracking although the tire shop says it's just cosmetic. Did not expect this from Michelin. It is hot here in Texas but tons of cracking after 3 years? I don't use any chemicals on the tires, just sprayed water, and keep all tires at the 35psi cold sidewall rating. Disappointed. Called Michelin.

Michelin is offering to sell me new replacement tires at 30% (70% off tire price) at Discount Tire. BUT Michelin no longer makes tires for these 15" rims except for the new Michelin LTS MS2 P235/75/15XL and I'm not going back to that size. I can also choose Uniroyal or BF Goodrich tires since they are owned by Michelin.

I am also considering going back to stock size 215/75/15 in P or LT and not worrying about the load capacity but my choices are so few now.

My choices are...

BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO LT215/75/15 50psi
Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country P215/75/15 44psi
BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour P215/75/15 44psi
BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour P235/70/15 44psi

The P235's will give me 140 lbs extra load capacity per tire over P215's so I'll probably go with those. Plus the sidewall rating is 44psi and I'd like to keep my tires higher than the 35psi of my current tires. We'll see what I end up with in th next few weeks. Maybe I'll just get a different brand and pay the extra $$$, who knows gotta get tires in the next few weeks. Can't argue with 70% off though I guess....

justice
I sleep in my van

Re: Michelins cracking, need new tires, fewer Astro choices.

Post by justice »

if you have Pep Boys near you, check out their Definity EX600 tires. Made by Cooper and have a good life and performance. I have had them on 3 of my vans.

My current 04 has Firestone Destinations which have been pretty good as well.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Can't argue with 70% off! I would go with the 235/7R15's as they look better on the van. The Long Trails should give good traction and wear. I like the Cooper line but you would be paying a bunch more.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

maestro
I am smitten with my van

Post by maestro »

I am also looking for tires and considered the Long Trails but I want something that will also work well with the occasional snow fall and I don't think the LT will do that for me. I currently have a like new pair of Kelly Safari Trex 215/75/15 tires on the rear of my '91 that I wanted to swap onto my new '93 which is in need of tires. Problem is, they stopped making them and I can't find a pair; ugh! :cry: They are great tires, good in the rain & snow, super quiet on the highway and nice looking. If I have to replace all four, I would consider going with a 235/70/15 since they seem to be about the same diameter but I wouldn't want to sacrifice towing power. The difference is so minimal that it should remain about the same I think... The Yokohama Geolander appears to be the best overall tire I've been able to research.

With that being said, I would go for the tires they are offering you at 70% off. How can you go wrong at that price?

Topic author
deleteitall

Post by deleteitall »

I ended up special ordering 4 Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country Tour P235/70/15 44psi max tires from Discount Tire with the Michelin 70% warranty discount which put my total cost out the door at $234. Very happy with the Uniroyals so far. They are very similar to the BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour which Discount Tire stocked but I liked the more solid tread pattern of the Uniroyals so I special orderd those. I used to run the Michelins at the max sidewall pressure of 35 psi, but now I run the Uniroyals at the higher max sidewall pressure of 44 psi which has improved the ride substantially regardless of what the GM door placard of 35 psi rating states. The Astro is a truck not a Cadillac. I much prefer the higher psi and I get better gas mileage.

So to pass on some info to others... I learned that a standard load passenger tire with 44 psi max on the sidewall has the exact same LOAD rating at 35 psi as a standard load passenger tire with 35 psi max on the sidewall. The difference is that the 44 psi tire is only built stronger to hold higher psi (not higher load) for certain handling / performance requirements and has nothing to do with increasing load capacity. The 44 psi tire has the same max LOAD rating capacity when set to any pressure between 35 psi and 44 psi. The 35 psi tire's load rating goes down if inflated over 35 psi. Clear as mud? :rolleyes: