help!!! 94 safari 4.3l awd and a 01 astro 4.3l 2wd

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
rallyvan93
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

help!!! 94 safari 4.3l awd and a 01 astro 4.3l 2wd

Post by rallyvan93 »

ok guys heres the deal i have 93 awd gmc safari that has a rod knock and i have a 01 astro 2wd witha 4.3l that runs great now i want the awd and i like the newer style vans but the 01 is a cargo van and id like to have all the seats and windows in ... so whats interchangeable can i swap the engine/trans nose dash etc and then make it work with the 94's awd? or do i swap the awd into the 01 astro whats the better bet? or whats a good route to take?

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: help!!! 94 safari 4.3l awd and a 01 astro 4.3l 2wd

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Oh boy....hope you are ready for a LOT of hard and frustrating work! Your best bet would be to swap the bad 4.3 in the AWD with a nice little 350 V8 and freshen the tranny at the same time. You can then sell the 2WD van to pay for it. Basically the only interchangeable parts are doors, rear axle and the interior from the front seats back. The engine, transmission and all associated electrical wiring is different 100%. No easy swap.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Re: help !!! 01 astro van 2wd 4.3l and a 93 4.l awd

Post by Moreforles »

front seats for sure, rear.... depends on the way their bolted in, all the windows should be interchangeable, doors are all the same, mirrors, (I like the newer sun visors with the extra visor built in.) running boards if you have them, are all the same length... rim should have the same bolt pattern (at least with the 5 lug) not sure about the rest... if most astro's have 4.3 and all have the same wheel length, I would think the trans would be interchangeable, but not sure... you might try Pull a part, they have an interchange book, or someone like that... if you live in an area where you don't need the awd, I'ld say go with the 2wd for better mileage.
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)