Shavin my 97 Astro Cargo Van.

Major projects, rebuilds and overhauls covering multiple areas

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Shavin my 97 Astro Cargo Van.

Post by SafariRoadster »

Figured I'd start a thread on my 97 astro van I just picked up for $450.00. It runs good just wasn't feelin the whole work van thing. So I've removed the ladder rack, storage shelves inside. Also removed all the badges. I decided to shave all the door handles, locks. I couldn't find any premade ones so I made them myself. First I'm starting with the rear door. I cut out the template welded in place. Then fiberglassed over the top to fill in any holes.
This is how the van looked when I picked it up.
First day I got it home. Removed ladder rack and inside storage racks. Also started fixing some of the dings and dents.
Today started on the rear door. Welding up the old license plate box. I have a 2" recessed license box on the way. It'll be going in the drivers side rear door at a slight angle.
Here with a thin layer of fiberglass to fill in any holes.
Thats all for now. I'm sure I'll get a lot more done this weekend.

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Re: Shavin my 97 Astro Cargo Van.

Post by SafariRoadster »

Added some bondo to smooth things over.
Spent the better part of the day putting together a door release for the rear door. Its mounted under the drivers seat. Totally hidden from sight. I made it out of a dodge advenger trunk release. I also had to weld a bracket onto my rear door bracket to make it work right. Don't even have to have a door popper. Pops out just enough.

Astro-SS-V8
I get chills without my van.
Location: Chilhowie,Va......I know you've never heard of it...

Post by Astro-SS-V8 »

Nice work so far....as for the filler panels for your doors...suicidedoors.com has them all in a kit for around $25 all laser cut and pre-made...I have the whole set including the rear door panel
93 Astro cargo .... Newest Aquisition !
95 Safari , on the injured list

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Post by SafariRoadster »

Astro-SS-V8 wrote:Nice work so far....as for the filler panels for your doors...suicidedoors.com has them all in a kit for around $25 all laser cut and pre-made...I have the whole set including the rear door panel
Thanks for the info. I think I'll be placing an order.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I Love to read about members shaving their vans, do a search here for shaving all the body parts on my van. Check out Rebel also, he has done alot of work to his van too.

This is my rearend.

`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Post by SafariRoadster »

SoCalli V8 wrote:I Love to read about members shaving their vans, do a search here for shaving all the body parts on my van. Check out Rebel also, he has done alot of work to his van too.

This is my rearend.

Thats one nice lookin ass. :supz:

5/16/2010

Today I didn't get near what I wanted accomplished. I worked some more on the rear door trying to get it all smoothed out. Really starting to aggrevate me. So I took a break from that and started on my custom mirrors I'm making from some stock Dodge Avenger mirrors. I like doing mods like this because you get a custom look without having that weird looking distorted mirror glass from the cheap aftermarket companies. My brother had the avenger given to him. So he said I could take whatever I want off the car. Heres the pics.ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Now I just gotta wait on the fiberglass to harden. Then I'll clean up the edges and alittle bondo to smooth everything out.

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Post by SafariRoadster »

Here you can see the difference in size.

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Post by SafariRoadster »

I've decided that I'm going to put the license plate box on the passenger door at a slight tilt.

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Post by SafariRoadster »

Just got my license plate box in today. Cut the hole at an angle on the passengers door. Also started on my cheap $50 Rustoleum Regal Red rolled on paint job. This is the 3rd vehicle I've painted this way. The light spots only have one coat and the darker has about 3 coats.

ImageImageImageImage
I will have it all painted within a week. With this type of paint job it takes a lot longer as you have to do more coats, appox 8-10 for full coverage. You thin the paint with mineral spirtits about 50/50 and apply with a 4" foam roller.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Your new Avenger mirror install is very inspiring, It`s cool to see that you used those, it is a much cheaper alternative to the expensive $150 SS Custom mirrors that I bought.

We are all Lovin` your pictures..... :supz: Keep them coming, as we love pictures here.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Love the shot of your rear Darren. Now that's smooth.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Post by SafariRoadster »

Coming further along on the paint job. Now just getting frustrated with the fuel pump. I have to pour gas in the fuel injector to get it to start, then it'll stay running just fine. So I'm guessing thats gotta be the fuel pump, right? Anyway the previous owner cut a hole in the floor to replace the fuel pump so changing it shouldn't be to hard. I just don't really want to spring the $180-$400 for a new Ac Delco one. So I'm thinking about going to the salvage yard and pullin one. Only cost $10 there.

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Keep up the good work. You will ariive at destination down the road. Body work will keep you up at night for sure. :yawinkle:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
SafariRoadster
I am smitten with my van

Post by SafariRoadster »

I got the license plate box welded in place. Then added a thin layer of fiberglass over the top to fill in any holes and to finish seal'n it up. Now I just gotta finish smooth'n it all out. Also not pictured, I moved the door bolt foward a little. I had to drill a new hole. That way the door closes tighter.

Astro-SS-V8
I get chills without my van.
Location: Chilhowie,Va......I know you've never heard of it...

Post by Astro-SS-V8 »

Nice work and MORE pics.....we love pics....did I say we love pics...oh yeah I did !!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
93 Astro cargo .... Newest Aquisition !
95 Safari , on the injured list