Transmission Cooler

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Transmission Cooler

Post by astroturf »

timelessbeing wrote:Jim, I don't have a regular interval but I believe the manufacturer recommended 48,000km is fine for average driving. My tranny has 250,000km and is still going strong. How often do you service yours?
Nor have I kept to the Manu Interval. It then makes better sense to me to use the best product, to buy yourself some extra protection.

The Amsoil ATF interval is 100,000 miles. As I said earlier, I did a pan drop, filter, and 5 qts at 150,000 miles. That allowed me to see inside the trans pan. With that under my belt, I will look for the opportunity to completely flush the system with 20 qts in the very near future. This will allow me to close the book on any future trans oil changes.

I have got a line on an old T-Tech trans flush machine. This machine hooks to the cooler lines, and is mechanical (not electronic). That is how I will perform the 20 qt flush (mechanically). Be very careful of the newer style flush machines.

Lost in a busy life too, Jim

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

I'd rather do a pan drop with cheaper fluid every 48k, so I can see what's going on inside, than to do a full flush with expensive stuff every 160k. What's the point of buying fancy fluid if it's just going to fill up with dirty clutch material?

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Not to rain on people's parade here.We have had threads where in full flushes resulted in leaking worn seals or other tranny issues. :-k On stuff that has high miles on it,the cleanest might not be a good answer. :peep: Yeah,I know not the most popular thought..............
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

To each their own...

Jim

PS Think of the lesser friction of a Full Synthetic Fluid.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

astroturf wrote:To each their own...

Jim

PS Think of the lesser friction of a Full Synthetic Fluid.
Yepper-the synthetic side of the question Dean and many others say they like.Cooler tranny temps I have heard.I would think after the first filter swap,you would take that advantage to put on a pan with a drain magnetic plug.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Water makes a pretty good lubricant to sharpen a knife on a stone...

But, Oil is Better.

silver mist AWD
I am merely driving my van

Post by silver mist AWD »

Hi-

New to the forum, but found this thread very helpful and joined up last night.

I first noticed hard shifting out of first gear after a long road trip in the mountains. We came down into Roswell NM, and after the first stop light there was a very hard slam into second. It did it a couple more times on the way to the motel.

The next morning (cold van and cold weather) there was no problem, but added a half a can of trans-x before leaving Rosewell for any benefit it might provide. The Van had about 116k miles, is a 2000 AWD and never had any problems like this. It has had regular maintainence and done very little towing.

I finished install of a tru-cool (9054 if I remember correct) rated for 18,000 lbs towing which is plenty for my needs. I found a nice stick of Aluminum to use across the bottom for a mount, and the supplied strapping for the top, leaving room for a fan if ever I decide to use one. I tied mine in with the top line going to the cooler. (Should be okay as far as typically not extreme cold here?)

I noticed most installations pictured here mount the units with both pipes facing the port side of the venicle. I did mine with both on top. I have seen factory installations on other vehicles this way. Any problems with that that anyone can articulate? A friend said it would be best if it held fluid rather than drained. At first drive it warms up well, so it is doing what it is supposed to, no leaks.

And as a last question, add comment, etc, I put off the messier job of filter/gasket replacement until later, perhaps wait until I can order a drain plug kit. Anyone know for sure that this method of total replacement of fluid works, and if you have done it, can you describe again exactly how you do it for me?

Thanks in advance. Off to do another test in the heat of the 102' day!
2000 AWD, 120k, dad first owner, regular maint, hiway miles, color silver mist. Before that I had a '94 for a while. (wait 'til I get the pics.) Had astros in the family since '91.

I Bought Dad's Chevy 3/4 ton when he bought astro. I grew up on the middle seat of '68 Dodge (great in winter, not summer). Brother got it when Dad bought the chevy in '76. Before that Greenbriar, I was a baby when it was doing camping trips to Colorado.

Toyota vanwagon years ago, loved it, wish it 4wd.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

silver mist AWD wrote:Hi-

New to the forum, but found this thread very helpful and joined up last night.
Welcome Aboard!!!
silver mist AWD wrote:I first noticed hard shifting out of first gear after a long road trip in the mountains. We came down into Roswell NM, and after the first stop light there was a very hard slam into second. It did it a couple more times on the way to the motel.

The next morning (cold van and cold weather) there was no problem, but added a half a can of trans-x before leaving Rosewell for any benefit it might provide. The Van had about 116k miles, is a 2000 AWD and never had any problems like this. It has had regular maintainence and done very little towing.
I have got to say that when my tranny begins to shift funny, it is generally due to a fluid level issue. Maybe only 2 oz low on stick, but a fluid level issue none the less. How many oz of trans=x went into the tranny? Do Not OverFill Your Tranny!!!
silver mist AWD wrote:I finished install of a tru-cool (9054 if I remember correct) rated for 18,000 lbs towing which is plenty for my needs. I found a nice stick of Aluminum to use across the bottom for a mount, and the supplied strapping for the top, leaving room for a fan if ever I decide to use one. I tied mine in with the top line going to the cooler. (Should be okay as far as typically not extreme cold here?)

I noticed most installations pictured here mount the units with both pipes facing the port side of the venicle. I did mine with both on top. I have seen factory installations on other vehicles this way. Any problems with that that anyone can articulate? A friend said it would be best if it held fluid rather than drained. At first drive it warms up well, so it is doing what it is supposed to, no leaks.
How did the Manu instruct it to be put in? Sometimes they only show pictures, but if they don't show it mounted on the roof, it generally doesn't go there. I would contact them for clarification of a proper direction for install.
silver mist AWD wrote:And as a last question, add comment, etc, I put off the messier job of filter/gasket replacement until later, perhaps wait until I can order a drain plug kit. Anyone know for sure that this method of total replacement of fluid works, and if you have done it, can you describe again exactly how you do it for me?
I would not dink around with a drain plug configuration. Service according to the Service Manual, and you will be fine. A pan drop will require about 5 qts of Atf. Use Amsoil, Like I do. Your trans will thank you for it.
silver mist AWD wrote:Thanks in advance. Off to do another test in the heat of the 102' day!
Post up some Pix... We do have a Rule 6b.

LOLz, Jim

PS Again Welcome Aboard

silver mist AWD

Is there a way to post small 68 k byte pictures here without sending them to a host like photobucket or image shack first?

Other forums I am used to have an "additional options" feature where if the file is under a certain size it will take it without linking.
2000 AWD, 120k, dad first owner, regular maint, hiway miles, color silver mist. Before that I had a '94 for a while. (wait 'til I get the pics.) Had astros in the family since '91.

I Bought Dad's Chevy 3/4 ton when he bought astro. I grew up on the middle seat of '68 Dodge (great in winter, not summer). Brother got it when Dad bought the chevy in '76. Before that Greenbriar, I was a baby when it was doing camping trips to Colorado.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

silver mist AWD wrote:Is there a way to post small 68 k byte pictures here without sending them to a host like photobucket or image shack first?

Other forums I am used to have an "additional options" feature where if the file is under a certain size it will take it without linking.
Why Yes There Is...

The box below your text reply is labeled: Upload attachment.

Click Browse, and Bob is yer Uncle.

Try it out, Jim

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

silver mist AWD wrote:I noticed most installations pictured here mount the units with both pipes facing the port side of the venicle. I did mine with both on top. I have seen factory installations on other vehicles this way. Any problems with that that anyone can articulate? A friend said it would be best if it held fluid rather than drained.
The only difference I can see it making, is if you had an air bubble trapped inside the cooler. Convection -- warmer/thinner fluid rising -- might possibly have an effect too. I don't think it matters too much, but maybe there's a reason that the factory cooler flows bottom to top.

Here are some installation guidelines from B&M.

Here is a topic on the BobIsTheOilGuy forum: Overcool a transmission.

And here is a thermostat for $14

This is from the Hayden FAQ:
Q. Can you over cool the transmission fluid?
A. Transmissions are not highly sensitive to cool operating temperatures. However, in sub-zero (20-30° F) weather conditions transmission fluid can actually gel up in an external cooler and cease to flow, causing damage. Use of the radiator cooler actually helps warm the fluid under these conditions. It is critical in extreme cold conditions to use the original equipment cooler in series with the auxiliary cooler and allow the vehicle to warm up before driving.

silver mist AWD

I only added about a little over half a 12 oz. can of trans-x last January when the trouble first noticed.

On a long trip to Texas it again appeared a month ago, and then on shorter trips on the hiway it would slam into second after it was hot and back in stop and go traffic.

After adding the cooler I checked the level hot and it was just at the bottom of the cross hatched area so I added the rest of a the can of trans-x and a about 4oz. of transmission fluid.

I actually did not notice any instructions that came with my tru-cool kit, but maybe I misplaced them. The one I have seems to fit and mount better with the cooling fins horizontal, so that is the way I did it.

So far no such problems as before, seems like I am ready to tow. Filter and pan gasket will come later when I 'm in the mood to take a shower in hot transmission fluid (ha ha). I have the $10 kit ready to go, duralast from O'reily or Autozone more likely. Delco brand was 10x the price or somthining like that.

Photos are kind of cruddy, taken in low light with a camera designed for daylight, but it is an image. Not really ready to take the grill back off for a better pic.
Attachments
I used zip ties on the top, and to hold the hoses away from sharp edges and tucked them in so they didn't interfere with the grill. It will be quick and easy to cut them if I need to get to the hose clamps.
I used zip ties on the top, and to hold the hoses away from sharp edges and tucked them in so they didn't interfere with the grill. It will be quick and easy to cut them if I need to get to the hose clamps.
I used the supplied brackets to brace the  top, one attached to the center stantion  is a bit redundent.  Actually the bottom stick holds it pretty solid by itself.
I used the supplied brackets to brace the top, one attached to the center stantion is a bit redundent. Actually the bottom stick holds it pretty solid by itself.
Here is the stick of Aluminum I found, bent it a bit to hold it away from the radiator, and perpendicular to the air flow when in motion.   This also leaves room for a fan behind, or perhaps even in front if needed later.<br /><br />I left the aluminum run long into the driver's side in case of future additions of an oil cooler or who knows what.
Here is the stick of Aluminum I found, bent it a bit to hold it away from the radiator, and perpendicular to the air flow when in motion. This also leaves room for a fan behind, or perhaps even in front if needed later.

I left the aluminum run long into the driver's side in case of future additions of an oil cooler or who knows what.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Hey that looks pretty good.

Sounds like you got the fluid level sorted out too.

What is an S10 kit?

Thanks, Jim

silver mist AWD

astroturf wrote:
What is an S10 kit?
Oh that's not an "S" it's a "$." Duralast auto trans filter and pan gasket. I think I got it at Autozone.

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Well, finally did the cooler. Wish I had done it sooner as this oil change looked more like black cherry then "cherry" #-o Also finally decided to change out the filter seal/o-ring this time. It was every bit the PITA I always thought it would be. For a regular maintenance item, the engineers fell short on that one!

Anyway, here are some picks from the cooler install (at least that was easy!)
Attachments
_MG_8238.jpg
piece of garden hose fit perfect around upper line for extra protection from body sheet metal edge
piece of garden hose fit perfect around upper line for extra protection from body sheet metal edge
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710