Rack & PInion Install

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Xephius
I get chills without my van.

Re: Rack & PInion Install

Post by Xephius »

Fantastic write up guys. Once I wrap up my LT1 install, I will move on to the suspension. I hope that you guys will post up the bracket drawings for the Rack and Pinion and IRS by then. Power is nothing without control!

BTW, why are all the posts from HPbyStan tuned into "*"?

-X
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Yeah.... This is an Awesome post filled with all the technical specifics that I really enjoy to absorb....

Now if I can only finish my Astro`s modified smooothe body-lines.... (that I keep muckin` up....! And have to begin over again..! and again..! and a, friggin` again....!!)

Where is that website or manual, that tells you "How to Modify your StroFari, > for the Ultimate Looks ? "

Then I will move onto a rack & pinion install....
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Reading through this again, I find it more and more tempting. Has anyone else done this other than Larry and Skip?
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Rileysowner wrote:Reading through this again, I find it more and more tempting. Has anyone else done this other than Larry and Skip?
I know who HASN'T done it...lol

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

I haven't done it yet. It is looking more and more tempting though.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Out of respect for Stan, we should let him respond if he sees fit. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

man i dont suppose us awd guys can do this mod can we?
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Topic author
Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

man i dont suppose us awd guys can do this mod can we?
someone asked that earlier and think Skip was going to check the next AWD he ran across but not sure if he was able to check this out and post his findings.
Skip,,,where you be my man ?
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I have no defense. [-X I just haven't gotten off my lazy butt and investigated that possibility. \:D/

Topic author
Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I have no defense. I just haven't gotten off my lazy butt and investigated that possibility.
You may get a spanking from our Smurf friend up north but I'm sure it'll be gentle. :yawinkle:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Smiliesafari wrote:I have no defense. [-X I just haven't gotten off my lazy butt and investigated that possibility. \:D/
Getting ready to replace my idler arms on my '95. Was looking around and ended up reading this thread again. Great read! Was wondering if you guys ever got a chance to check out a AWD ? Thanks! :cheers:
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

No, Bill, I haven't done anything with the R&P since that member from the other site came over and started that big argument. I thought it was best to stay out of it and let everyone decide for themselves. All of the info is there for anyone who wants to do it. As far as the AWD, I still haven't looked at one. So, at this time I don't know if it's possible.

icebrrg3rd
I am smitten with my van

Post by icebrrg3rd »

Smilie, after getting my van, I knew about the idler arm problems, thought of a r&p replacement, found this site, this thread, and knew that this is now on my list of mods that are feasable. Not immediately, but it is up there. I'll have to bug you for some more of the details, since it would be easier than starting from scratch. Being new here, I guess I missed all the fireworks. Hope you'll be open to share your info with us "new" vanners.

-Thanks, Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim XJ650, Black & Green, 64k miles
83 Yamaha Venture 1200cc, White, 74k miles
91 Chevy Astro 2WD, 4.3L, Maroon, 229k miles
00 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L, Blue, 145k miles

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

Once I complete the install of my new "4.3" in the wife's 1999 AWD, I plan to really look at the rack and pinion since it is ready for idlers and tie rods. That is, if my wife allows me to ever touch it again.
My only worry is that the pumpkin may put the rack out too far forward. A small amount of ackerman angle is OK, but it has to be really small. I'm not real sure on that whole subject to be honest.
I'll get some pics of my 1991 4x4 subframe when it is out of the van and easy to see.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Andrew.......I'm more than willing to help. If you do this it has to be done right. One past member had a so called professional fabricator install a R&P. It was so messed up he removed it and reinstalled all of the original steering. There's no shortcuts.