timing question

Topic author
dj_joker_2002
I finally get the smurf thing

timing question

Post by dj_joker_2002 »

awhile back I wrote in about my new engine and so on......
I never put the van on the road due to winter and I could never get the timing correct either. So my question is this: with the TBI system is there something that should be unplugged when attempting to set the timing with a timing light? One of my neighbors said he believes I have to unplug an electricle plug
from one of the sensors in order to set the timing correctly.
Any help is appreciated. Mark

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: timing question

Post by 91AWDAstro »

You have single wire connector (brown I believe) by the distributer that has to be dis-connected. Your check engine light will go on and the idle will change. Then you can check base timing with the timing light. If you don't unplug it, your reading ECM adjusted timing.

The book calls out for 0 degrees base timing. I've got mine set at 4 degrees advance right now.
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

91AWDAstro wrote:You have single wire connector (brown I believe) by the distributer that has to be dis-connected. Your check engine light will go on and the idle will change. Then you can check base timing with the timing light. If you don't unplug it, your reading ECM adjusted timing.

The book calls out for 0 degrees base timing. I've got mine set at 4 degrees advance right now.
yes you MUST unplug the tan/black wire that's on the distributor on the ford they call this the SPOUT but heck if I know what they call it on a GM. There is a signle wire connector in line with the distributor wire, just follow it down.

Topic author
dj_joker_2002
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by dj_joker_2002 »

Thank you, I found it and attempted to set the timing but somehow my timing light got broken. I will buy a new one soon and finish the job.

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Good luck. Remeber this is base timing that the ECM will retard and advance from that point. I set my base timing to what CompCams recomended. I do think I will change it back to zero when I start modifing my spark tables soon.
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

chevymaher
I get chills without my van.

Post by chevymaher »

I crank my timing way up obviously past the point where the computer can compensate.It runs alot better than it should.It got more quarter pedal acceleration than it had at the floor before.Just sayin.It sittin right there works fine.
Image90 astro parts van gone.94 safari SLE.68 chevelle SS clone.

kamenz

Post by kamenz »

What is way up,you have number in degrees?
Kamenz

1998 Astro AWD Conversion

chevymaher

Post by chevymaher »

No I set it by ear.Literally in reverse brake torqued it till it ran the best.Stock being flat part of distributer facing rear.Mine points at right leg as you sit there.Heres a pic.I also got the EGR blocked off I showed pic of that in EGR thread
timing.jpg
Image90 astro parts van gone.94 safari SLE.68 chevelle SS clone.