Can a 6'6" freak of nature sleep in the back of a Astro?

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
F451
I am merely driving my van

Can a 6'6" freak of nature sleep in the back of a Astro?

Post by F451 »

Hey guys,

Can a 6'6" freak of nature sleep in the back of a Astro comfortably?

I searched for the dimensions of the Gen 2 Astros and could not find the dimensions of the cargo area.

Can anyone tell me the rough dimensions from say the back of the drivers seat to the rear doors?

I saw this thread viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9878 where the OP is using a regular camp cot, and it looks like there is plenty of extra room. I can just fit on one of those camp cots. It would be good if there was additional room to stretch out though, I think I need around 84 -86 inches to be really comfy (6'6" = 80").

I'm hoping to get a Gen 2 Astro AWD before too long, adding a lift kit, wheels, etc, and camperizing it for dirt bike hauling and general camping duties.

Thanks for any info!

Ed
Last edited by F451 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Re: Can a 6'6" freak of nature sleep in the back of a Astro?

Post by photo_van »

I'm pretty sure I've had a full sheet of plywood in there (4x8), but can't remember for sure.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
F451

Post by F451 »

photo_van wrote:I'm pretty sure I've had a full sheet of plywood in there (4x8), but can't remember for sure.
Ah right on! I googled "can you fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in a astro van" and the answer is YES! Excellent.

http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2452

Additional info from that thread: sounds like the Gen 2's fit a 4x8 with room to spare (and also the extended Gen 1's).

Thanks for the info on the 4x8 plywood, such a simple thing I would have never thought of.

Ok, I am officially starting my (probably months long) search for a low mileage, excellent condition Gen 2. Of course I would love to find one already setup with a lift kit and wheels, but it doesn't seem like they come up for sale too often.

Excited!

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I'm hoping to get a Gen 2 Astro AWD before too long, adding a lift kit, wheels, etc, and camperizing it for dirt bike hauling and general camping duties.

"Before too long"... I see what you did there-that's funny. You can easily fit lengthwise in a gen II van. What cracks me up being 6'4" and 240lbs myself is those that can bunk sideways in one of these things. I finally get the smurf thing! One thing you will find as I did. I look thu the very top of the windshield. You being 2" taller than I might have trouble with driving position. If so maybe getting a seat base from a jy and test modify to your liking. I've always been a van guy. I love climbing up- not falling into a vehicle.
With the seats out, my 76 FX with straight bars and no mirrors fits in the van-just. The seat stantions work perfect for ratcheting down the bike. The awd will get you places you won't believe. Good choice and good luck.
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Sleeping sideways is pretty nice, at 5'10" I have to shoehorn in there a bit. Always wondered how you tall guys see out the windshield! Never could figure out why they put those seats so high! I've got the power seat in the lowest position and still can't see the sky!
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Being tall has its drawbacks. First one to find out its raining...
But we do get to use that strip of tinting at the top of the windshield that noboby else does. And as far as seeing the sky? I don't need to see the sky. I just have to have faith that its still there while I pay attention to the road and all the idiots on it. Hopefully nothing falls from the sky while I'm not looking and ruin my day. Remember Skylab? I remember that missing me by inches
I also have my electric seat full back and full down. Driving position is fine, very comfortable in fact. The top of the windscreen view has never had a detrimental effect but being 6'6"" might be finding what the tolerance limits are
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Captn. Crunch wrote:Being tall has its drawbacks. First one to find out its raining...
And not being able to sleep sideways eh?

As for being able to see the sky? Where I drive there's more of this and less people on the road! :muhaha: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ogSmH8M84

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ogSmH8M84[/youtube]
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I hope you realize how good you have it. All that wide open space. I'm stuck here fighting for every inch. No place to wheel-freakn hate it. I do have the ocean tho and that's a major plus. I have a theory about living by the ocean. If you look at a political map of the US all the red states are in the middle, away from the ocean. I think once you get to far away from the ocean we crawled from eons ago, you lose your mind and become republican
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

:muhaha: :) \:D/ :supz: LOL, well that was bold! :cheers:
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
F451

Post by F451 »

Captn. Crunch wrote:"Before too long"... I see what you did there-that's funny.
Oh man, you are giving me WAY too much credit, never even realized the little joke there, ha ha, very good!

And thanks everyone for the tips on the seating issue, I will be checking that out once I start shopping. It's pretty much a given for me that whatever vehicle I'm driving in that it will be a bit cramped. I've gotten pretty good at finding "acceptable" adjustments or replacement seats/mounts over the years (my '88 928 has been a particular challenge but its an "extra" car so I can fiddle around with it at my leisure).

Like I always say, cars, clothes, and women, the bane of being tall, Lol.

And that boulder slide video, SCARY! I can't believe that guy was walking around his car after, I would out of there so fast. Lucky dude.

Topic author
F451

Post by F451 »

Captn. Crunch wrote:I hope you realize how good you have it. All that wide open space. I'm stuck here fighting for every inch. No place to wheel-freakn hate it. I do have the ocean tho and that's a major plus. I have a theory about living by the ocean. If you look at a political map of the US all the red states are in the middle, away from the ocean. I think once you get to far away from the ocean we crawled from eons ago, you lose your mind and become republican
Captn, I grew up in NJ, very familiar with the "tri-state" area, I feel your pain. Come on out to Washington, we still have room for a few more, and there are still some amazing places they will let us serfs go, although they are steadily shutting down more and more areas. Get here before its all gone. Unless you hate rain and gloom like I do, then it kind of sucks for 9 months of the year.

We even have the ocean, although the water is freaking freezing, can't really swim in it for any length of time. Knuckleheads out here don't know what they are missing. Oh how I miss the NJ shore (the nice parts of it), the cape, all of New England, etc, etc.

Topic author
F451

Post by F451 »

So I spent half the insomnia night reading about Astro/Safari's, lift kits, tongue weights and my head is spinning.

Then I found a Mitsu Delica 4x4 diesel for sale just over the border, and its going to be 25 yrs old soon, so would be easily imported, and at a great price (they go for a premium in Canada).

If I get a response from the owner I'm going to have to go up there and check it out.

Things just got real! Ha ha....

But in all reality, the Astro AWD would probably be a better fit and a no hassle purchase vs importing a 25 yr old Japan market car. But I do love the idea of a little diesel 4x4 van that can be configured like a transformer.

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

F451 wrote: I searched for the dimensions of the Gen 2 Astros and could not find the dimensions of the cargo area.

Can anyone tell me the rough dimensions from say the back of the drivers seat to the rear doors?
Here's my favorite resource for all great Astro measurement data
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

photo_van wrote::muhaha: :) \:D/ :supz: LOL, well that was bold! :cheers:

Well it's just a theory and with any theories they can be proved or disproved. But really-youll never look at a political map he same way again without wondering hmmmmm...... :usa:
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

But in all reality, the Astro AWD would probably be a better fit and a no hassle purchase vs importing a 25 yr old Japan market car. But I do love the idea of a little diesel 4x4 van that can be configured like a transformer.

These things are eight passenger S-10's. The parts swap possibilities are endless and easy. We'll be here if you lean this way
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT