Removed front driveshaft, now need guidance with cv's

THIS FORUM IS FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON THE 7.25" IFS FRONT DIFF, CV HALF SHAFTS AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

Topic author
91rockwoodAWD
I am merely driving my van

Removed front driveshaft, now need guidance with cv's

Post by 91rockwoodAWD »

I have a 1991 AWD astro, ext, 4.3... I'm by no means a mechanic so I'll try to make this easy as I can to understand.... i bought the van 5 yrs ago, my dad and a few local mechanics have put a TON of work into it.... (shocks, alternator, starter, tranny serviced, and a handful of other parts have been replaced or serviced.... the thing i need some help figuring out is with the cv axle...... so about 3 months ago my u-joints in the front drive shaft went bad, I took it off myself, the guys at the shop took one look and said there's no fixing it I need a new one... so I asked them (and a few other guys) if it was possible to leave it off and just have a 2wheel-rwd van for the time being..... before I finish explaining I think it's important for anyone reading this to know that that before removing front driveshaft I had the whole front end rebuilt, or most of it, brand new cv's, kept old a-frames but replaced the bushings, new tires to match [I know I'm leaving something out].... anyway.... I haven't had any issues since making it 2wd... today I noticed a clicking or 'clunking'sound while coasting and not turning the wheel at all.... it reminded me of the bad u joints but not as rough sounding..... I checked the front end, the cv axle on the driver side has an insane amount of play and looks like it's not far from just falling out.... I know I've got a warranty to get it replaced, but I'm far from home, and basically my question is this: is it possible to slide it back together and take it easy getting home? I don't have the transfer case engaged since removing front driveshaft, and it hasn't caused any operational problems yet.... I just wanted to know if I can do something to help my chances trying to drive it back home (35-45 miles)

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Removed front driveshaft, now need guidance with cv's

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Hey
Is the insane amount of play on the inner portion of the shaft ie the end that slips into the front differential? If so I suggest you try to slip it back in and drive it home. There is a c clip on the shaft that needs to click in place. It’s possible that wasnt done initially. You may have to use a large pry bar. Good luck on the drive home
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Topic author
91rockwoodAWD

Post by 91rockwoodAWD »

Yes it is the inner part of the axle, I spent a few minutes trying to work it back into place, It doesn't want to go all the way in, and before I could get the jack laid down it's already slipping right back to the way I found it... I'll take a pry bar to it and get back to you on it, thank you for the response. :D
LONG LIVE THE GNAR-VAN!!

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

There are flat spots on the corners where you can find purchase with a pry bar. A 2 lb. short handed sledge can be the persuasion that may put you over the top. You’ll know when it pops in. Hopefully you are someplace warm and dry. I personally can’t wait for the morning commute in a full blown nor’easter with my twin Torsened awd! :guitar: it rocks!
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT

Topic author
91rockwoodAWD

Post by 91rockwoodAWD »

Got it back in place! Thanks for the insight wish me luck.
LONG LIVE THE GNAR-VAN!!

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

If you got it to seat then you no longer need luck. All you needed was a good whack. Now enjoy your van and check on that axle once or twice just for piece of mind
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

Sounds like the Captn. got you sorted, but I'm here to commiserate. Sometimes getting those C-clips to seat can be a bitch and a half.

I spent literally an entire weekend or two trying to get one of the CVs to seat after doing a front-end job. There's a thread on here somewhere where I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Short answer: Bigger hammer.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
91rockwoodAWD

Post by 91rockwoodAWD »

So I'm guessing it didn't quite seat properly, I made it where I was going, checked it, pretty late last night after getting home, the thing was still in place, but after dropping the kids off to school I heard the same dreaded 'clunk'... checked it and found it was in the same position of almost falling out... I put it back one more time. I'm pretty sure I have a seal messed up now, there's a pretty steady drip of oil coming from the spot in question... so I have another question, or two, if the differential isn't being used (No front drive-shaft) is there anyway to take the cv off and drive the van with one or even take both off, I don't really need the four wheel drive as bad as I need the van rolling... lol?
LONG LIVE THE GNAR-VAN!!

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I’m sorry my friend but you are currently running with at maximum missing parts mode. On a bright note, the seal on the drivers side is in a bolted on plate and is $35.00 at the local dealer. This makes changing that seal very simple.
The fact that it happened again has me asking two things. First, is this original axle? If so is the c clip on the axle worn and no longer performing as designed? I don’t know if that clip is something that can be bought and installed.
My other thought is are you sure you got it to seat? Once seated, you can feel as you pull on it that it doesn’t want to come back out and there’s no shaft showing. The shoulder of the axle is snug to the seal.
Good job getting everyone home safe. Stick with it you’ve almost got this
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT