Missing jack

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Missing jack

Post by WE7X »

Jack crossover sources?
Not sure if this is the correct forum for such a odd question...but..
Does anybody know what other GM models may use the same jack. (Most similar year vans and pickups?)
I just discovered I did not get the jack and lug wrench with the vehicle. Glad I figured it out now, and not ten miles from nowhere. The PO is too far away to make it a worthwhile trip to collect it.

So, off to the Pick'n'Pull soon.

TIA,
Rod J
Issaquah, WA
'98 Astro AWD Forest Green metallic
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Missing jack

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I’ll check and see if my van and my s-10 Blazer share that commonality and report back
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

I a jack listed as GM# 15714338 lised for 1995-2002; and the lug wrench as #156597321; but I know there were several other pieces, that came with that kit. There were two chocks and a tool for the doghouse cover that I have seen mentioned at different times. It would be nice to find the whole kit in a P'n'P .
However, just finding the jack and handle would be a plus. I have seldom like the lug wrenches supplied by any manufacturer.
Rod Johnson AKA WE7X
Issaquah, WA
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

I guess I didn't get whatever tool there is for the doghouse, but I've got the rest. I was really pleasantly surprised by the chocks. I bought a 2nd pair on ebay and I use them frequently (though I store them elsewhere so I don't have to un-do the jack mounting bolt to get them out)

The lug "wrench" is a two-piece combo tool that includes the ratchet, then the lug tool on one of the shaft and the driver for the spare tire "winch" on the other. As you guess, it's fairly useless as a lunch wrench, but absolutely necessary for moving the spare tire around.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

Herbie,
Thanks much for the info.,
Great point about the spare tire lift. I had not even considered that. I will look at that setup to see what type of socket or wrench I will need to carry, until I find the correct stuff. I have located a dozen A/S vans that were recently (withing the last month) inducted into the local P'n'P's.
I might get lucky and find the whole kit.

Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

SCORED!
Coming home from a dentist appointment, and I decided to stop at a very small local wrecking yard, which I pass almost every day. I parked right next to a ramp truck with a rough old Safari on it.
When I inquired about buying a jack, the guy headed right out to that van. I got the jack and lug wrench assembly, and the wheel chocks for $20. They were pristine. I don't think the pieces had ever been used.
They have two early '80's vintage 2WD vans in the yard.

Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

WE7X wrote:SCORED!
Coming home from a dentist appointment, and I decided to stop at a very small local wrecking yard, which I pass almost every day. I parked right next to a ramp truck with a rough old Safari on it.
When I inquired about buying a jack, the guy headed right out to that van. I got the jack and lug wrench assembly, and the wheel chocks for $20. They were pristine. I don't think the pieces had ever been used.
They have two early '80's vintage 2WD vans in the yard.

Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA
Nice!
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

That is great. So just to be clear, you also have the racheting tire iron and ratchet that you use to un wind the steel cable and lower the spare?

I am thinking of mounting one of the 36" High Lift farm jacks inside my 2003 AWD Astro on right rear side. I have mounted 3/4" plywood to side wall to allow mounting accessories.

AP
Attachments
image.jpeg

Topic author
WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WE7X »

Yes, I even got the original operations instruction sheet. I got everything but actual bag for the tools, and the hold-down bolt and nut assembly. I can make that, or I can just use heavy bungees. I'll see what works.

Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA
'98 Forest green AWD Astro
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Issaquah, WA

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi All,
Just read on off road sites, that the new "hot set up" for a jack is to get the Harbor Freight Aluminum floor jack instead of High Lift jack. HF Sky 62309, 2.5 ton, w/rapid pump, dual piston, made by Pittsburg. $154.99 , 52 lbs, handle length 45 1/4" two pieces, max lift 18 1/2" and min lift 3 3/8". Jack is 26" long, 12" wide by 6"high. For off road use in dirt, sand, or mud, put an aluminum skid plate under floor jack. Or 3/4" plywood or 1 1/8" sub floor plywood.
And get rubber Jack pads, by Amz, $10 per pair.
HF also has aluminum Jack stands, 3 ton, $39.99 per pair. Weight is listed as 4.5 lbs.

AP
Attachments
Added extra 4" "hill Billy's lift kit, he he.
Added extra 4" "hill Billy's lift kit, he he.