Hello from sunny Fl

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
capedave
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Hello from sunny Fl

Post by capedave »

Bought a 1999 Astro AWD off the cash lot for 1,200$ ran and drove it for the winter 2014-2015.
This is a winter driver for me in FL so I don't have to tow the boat with the camper.
It as close to 240,000 miles on it and may have a replaced trany or engine, has Jasper pamphlet in console..
Had a skip a Highway speeds like hitting bumps in the road ran well enough so I ignored it.
Took a 4 hour trip the other day out and back ran like a champ. That after noon it made it 5 feet out of the drive and died.....
Cap and rotor and no go, fuel pump tester, checked spark, would not fire on starting fluid.
A call to a friends nephew and he nailed it! Replaced the crankshaft position sensor and the green monster runs again!
I will say this is my first Astro van and it is a great vehicle I almost want to drive it back to MA and use it in the summer too.
Yea I will try to get some pics up. So hello all from sunny and warm FL. :supz:

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: Hello from sunny Fl

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Congratulations and welcome. The Astro/Safari van really is a great platform. They have stood the test of time and have a loyal possibly fanatical following. AWD in Florida is kinda like a monster truck in manhattan. Not really much in the way of using it to its maximum potential. Now winter in Mass. and you get a look at what these things are like in the snow, you might forego Florida just so you can have fun blowing up snow drifts and waving at stuck people!
Glad you were able to locate your issue quickly. Enjoy your van.
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s