Suspension lift

Topic author
Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Suspension lift

Post by Captn. Crunch »

I have done the 2" body lift and the S-10 rear springs. Can any one think of a good reason why I shouldn't make a custom set of motor mounts to raise the engine 2", shim up the trans cross member and bring my drivetrain back up under the body? An increase in tire size to 31's will alleviate the added axle angle. Any thoughts on if 2" will cause problems with the front prop shaft due to leaving the front diff in its original position in the frame?
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Suspension lift

Post by Astrophysics »

Interesting idea! But, it would raise the Center of gravity of the entire vehicle. And you would loose the nice 2" gap that allows access to the spark plugs!

AP

Topic author
Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Hmmmm. Well to start with, now that I've re-read what I posted, I rescind half of what I wrote. If I don't raise the front diff I don't change axle angle. I am still somewhat worried about raising engine/ trans and not raising front diff because now I am introducing a new angle on the front prop shaft. It's short and might not take much to develop a vibration which I won't be able to shim out like you can with rear end issues.
While its true I will be raising c/g I don't road race anymore. When I was in stock configuration and a nice set of sticky tires I used to scare to crap out of people but no more. I will make sure to do a tuneup first. With 180k on the clock it might just be the last one I ever do
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Capt, did you do any torsion lift? I don't see 31" tires without a lot of work on 2" body lift.

I guess it depends what you're going to be using the van for and trying to achieve.

With 3" body lift, torsion lift, shackles, add-a-leafs an 31" tires (approx 36"-36.5" fender height all around), I have the following clearance:

Front subframe: 13.5"

Engine oil pan: 12"

Transmission crossmember: 11.75"

Rear differential: 9.75"

I also replaced worn engine mounts with urethane a while back which raised the engine back up a bit.

Given the lack of rear differential clearance, I think I'd be happy enough with a skid plate to protect the oil and transmission pans from damage.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

Topic author
Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

[quote="Stroverlander"]Capt, did you do any torsion lift? I don't see 31" tires without a lot of work on 2" body lift.

I guess it depends what you're going to be using the van for and trying to achieve.

With 3" body lift, torsion lift, shackles, add-a-leafs an 31" tires (approx 36"-36.5" fender height all around), I have the following clearance:

Front subframe: 13.5"

Engine oil pan: 12"

Transmission crossmember: 11.75"

Rear differential: 9.75"

So as your rig sits now your oil pan sits 1.5" below the front crossmember. A two inch raising of the drivetrain will get all the tender parts at least level with the front crossmember. Shimming up the trans x-member will even everything out underneath making skid plating much more simple and effective. This will also put skid plates on the same plane as the rock rails
Tire size won't need to increase if I don't move the front diff and alter the front axle angle
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Again, for me I don't think it's something I would deem necessary and the feel the protection from the skid plate would suffice. Honestly, I prefer the additional access room to engine components now.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander