Leakng brake fluid from Master Cylinder/Prop Valve?

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Leakng brake fluid from Master Cylinder/Prop Valve?

Post by Wiley »

I thought I fixed all my leaks 2 weeks ago...Where would you experts start with you diagnosing, I will try and clean up around the Master Cylinder, and will try and get some of the oil off of everything as my engine bay is covered in it, but that is tough as I cannot do it at my place. 2 weeks ago I was leaking oil and tranny fluid. I replaced my oil cooler lines and tried to replace the clip to the radiator hose...turned out it wasnt the right part but by taking off the orig and cleaning/putting it back on the leak has stopped for now. Today I saw some drops under the van as I have been keeping my eye on it just in case. Assumed it was oil, maybe it was, but it looked more golden like new oil, or the fluid in my brake reservoir. I wish I had paid more attention as my brake fluid is low, would oil turn black in 2 weeks?. My brake fluid was a bit low, and I def have black oil on my tie rod, so I may be leaking both Oil and Brake fluid, but 1 of them is def leaking. My oil cooler lines are spotless, that is the only place that I can confirm is not leaking. I want to focus on the master cylinder 1st if people agree its leaking...it seems like it is obviously leaking to me but I know oil will go everywhere due to my high speed chases I often have with the cops always trying to keep me down. I have had problems with my brakes in the past, so it is possible that led to an early failure of the MC. Sorry for rambling.

edit: Now that I took a quick look while the sun was actually out, I have determined there is too much oil to make any decision on what is going on, so I will need to think about cleaning this thing somehow.
Attachments
IMG_1250.JPG
IMG_1252.JPG
IMG_1257.JPG
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

chuck.z
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Re: Leakng brake fluid from Master Cylinder/Prop Valve?

Post by chuck.z »

Have you checked power steering fluid? It's also golden brown.. Have you looked into the hydroboost unit?

A few weeks ago I had a leak in the same area. The drips show up right under the steering box on the driveway. It turned out my hydroboost was leaking from an internal seal and fluid was coming out of the weep hole at the bottom where it connects to the MC. If you feel around on the bottom you'd be able to find the weep hole. In my case I had a buddy press and hold the brakes as if he were helping me bleed the brakes while I felt around until I found the leak.

Hope this helps.
1996 Astro Awd - All stock, soon to be lifted and camperized
1998 GMC Safari 2wd - Work van. 258k miles and counting

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Get some of that fluid on your hand. If it washes off with just water it's brake fluid. If not then it's steering fluid.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Awesome thanks guys, I will look into that, those are both great starting points. Appreciate it, I will report back.

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

Just to update-Its a slow leak, but I think it is oil coming from the oil pan, and looks golden since its new. I will let this thread die unless I end up finding that the brake fluid or power steering is also leaking when I get more time under the van. Thanks for the tips.