Any solution for more front lift?

Topic author
nick.
I am merely driving my van

Any solution for more front lift?

Post by nick. »

So tonight as I was cutting my fan shroud and drilling my ebrake bracket in prep for throwing on my 2"spacers tomorrow, I decided to crank the t bars to see if I could get an extra inch of lift...much to my dismay, I found that they were only about three threads from bottomed already. After I tightened the bolt in as far as it would go, I got less than a half inch of lift.

So the issue with this is that now the front is sitting between 29.75" and 30" high, while the rear is at 29.5. From everything I've read, the s10 3+1 pack I have waiting will give me between 3" and 4" in the rear. This means that I'm realistically looking at like a 2" differential in the front with no way to crank it further.

Is there any way that I could source slightly longer bolts for the front bars to get a little extra out of them? I've got a big trip in a cople weeks and really wanted to get the van lifted and put 30"s onit prior to leaving. Not sure if there is any other timely solution at this point, but I figure I'm going to need at least one more inch in the front. THanks in advance for any good ideas...

Topic author
nick.

Re: Any solution for more front lift?

Post by nick. »

I should ad that the van is a 97 with 117k and isin really amazing shape otherwise. It seems a bit odd that the stock bars would be that sagged

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Overland Vans offeres re-indexed torsion keys. I'm not sure if you can bring the alignment back into specs with them though.

Otherwise, you will need more subframe lift and the only safe way (in my opinion) is with welded in spacers.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Also, if the torsion bars have sagged that much, maybe you should buy new torsion bars.
Just like worn out saggy old leaf springs make for a poor handling van, so will worn out saggy old T-Bars.
New T-Bars should give you more lift and better ride quality, at least, it sure did for me !
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

mdmead wrote:Overland Vans offeres re-indexed torsion keys. I'm not sure if you can bring the alignment back into specs with them though.

Otherwise, you will need more subframe lift and the only safe way (in my opinion) is with welded in spacers.
I agree.

It is the safe and practical way to still use a warmed over stock suspension and ride.Anything over 2" you either have to find a full size van intermediate steering shaft like a Express or buy the Overlands one.Notice how I on purpose left out welding one yourself.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I would say the re-indexed keys are the way to go for now and then as time and money permits, go with new torsion bars.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
nick.

Post by nick. »

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll be ordering up a set of the indexed keys. I'll probably throw the rear leaves in first just to get a sense of whether I will need new keys or not, but I suspect that if the rear gives me closer to 4" I will be needing them.

Does anyone know which set of keys a 97 would take from Airbagit? They list a 1.5" hex, and a 2 1/8" hex at the link below.
http://www.airbagit.com/category-s/2067.htm

For anyone who has ordered from them in the past, do they tend to ship pretty quickly?

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

nick. wrote:Does anyone know which set of keys a 97 would take from Airbagit? They list a 1.5" hex, and a 2 1/8" hex at the link below.
http://www.airbagit.com/category-s/2067.htm
You can easily lay eyes on this just by crawling under with a ruler and looking at it.
I suggest you do before you order, but I bet its the small one.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.