Re: torsion bar keys

Post by skidrowpete »

THX FOR THE REPLY

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Anyone out there ever tried to get/use slightly longer bolts rather than re-indexed keys?
Also, looking at the pic earlier where on key lays on top ot the other to show the index difference got me to wondering...
If you flipped the stock key over and then lay it over the indexed key, what would it show?
Could they be useable and re-indexed by about the right amount, just by flipping it over?
Anyone got a set of each to look at and maybe show us another pic, with the stock key flipped ?
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

doyoulikeithere wrote:Anyone out there ever tried to get/use slightly longer bolts rather than re-indexed keys?
Good question. The key might hit the top of the inside of the crossmember.

Snowgeek
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Snowgeek »

Ok so here are a few thoughts. I don't know them to be true just my 2cents.

Testing this would obviously be the key and i may be over thinking it all.

~ As to welding onto the bolt surface of the key, this would be possible and likely work but there is a dimple in the face that that the tensioner rides in. I think mimicking this in the new face will be important. This helps keep the pressure on the bolt perpendicular to the key as it spins upward so that it won't bend the bolt.

~ i think this also becomes an issue with the longer bolt. When you spin up to the point that the tensioner bolt is nearing the edge of the dimple on its rotational path you are likely to bend the bolt because the key is pushing sideways not down. You also begin loosing leverage over the key as it passes perpendicular to the bolt. The new bolt would also need a rounded end as the stock bolt is to ride smoothly in the key dimple and not create to much galling.

~ if no one else does it first....next time i am under my van i will look at flipping the stock key and see where it sits. The dimple on the surface and the surface will again need to be mimicked and would need to sit somewhere near perpendicular to the bolt for this to work out ok.

With all this said, there is some ability for the bolt retainer to pivot to help facilitate this the bolt sitting correctly in relation to the key...... Sounds like a good experiment.

Ryan
2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here

Topic author
skidrowpete
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by skidrowpete »

thx everyone to these replies

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

timelessbeing wrote:
doyoulikeithere wrote:Anyone out there ever tried to get/use slightly longer bolts rather than re-indexed keys?
Good question. The key might hit the top of the inside of the crossmember.
Ya, I checked that out, you would have to cut a notch in the cross member. I got my keys at Air-Bag-It, around $80. Here's the thread that shows the comparison. viewtopic.php?f=67&t=8761
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710