anyone here ever used a hayden electric fan?

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

anyone here ever used a hayden electric fan?

Post by markmitchinnh »

Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: anyone here ever used a hayden electric fan?

Post by 1Gary »

Crown Vic 14" fan is the way to go from a pick and pull.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

The motor on those sticks out to much the hayden can be mounted in front of the AC radiator and be used to push instead of pull. That's why I was asking. I believe in my last van I used a flex metal non clutch fan but when I researched them they say on the label "do not use on engines larger then 4.1 liters. My van is an RS and is loaded and that is the main difference between this van and the last one I built.. I am using the same water pump as I did before. The only other problem I see is the trans cooler location.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Mark,Hayden is a known brand name.Don't see a problem with using them.Thing is I hate seeing you spend money on stuff that is setting in a pick and pull.If by chance you can't reverse wire a Crown Vic fan so it ran in reverse and make rm for it up front,then could you use a Taurus dual fan set up instead.Sure does sound like a short W/P would resolve all this. :-k
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I figured out what I had on my last van it was a old school 7 blade non clutch fan. as far as the water pump, its high performance with a flow disc and I used it before. Thanks for the info though. I will measure the different fans at the local pick a part and see what I come up with.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I bought 2 ten inch fans to blow through the radiator with a controller that is adjustable, I am going to see if I can use a shroud from a S-10 on the engine side of the radiator just to cover the brackets and such and to make it look better.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Those 2 - 10" fans will not provide enough cooling. I tried 2 - 12" Haydens and ended up saw[[ing one for a 14". Still ran hot. I then pulled them both off and got a Ford Taurus 2 speed fan from a 3.8L car and it ran nice and cool on low speed only. It is what I am running now and the engine temps never climb above 195.

How much room do you have to spare if it is set up as a puller?
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I tried an electric single fan in the engine side of the radiator and the electric motor would hit the serpentine belt there is approximately 2.5 inches. I think the reason I am running into this problem is due to the van having front and rare a/c. The brackets are totally different from and van I have had in the past. Basically two intersecting steel brackets that bolt into the front and the exhaust and the water pump. I am in California at this time but I will take a pictures when I get back the first of September.