Is it worth 3x the price for OEM bearings/ABS sensor?

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
JustSomeGuy
I am smitten with my van

Is it worth 3x the price for OEM bearings/ABS sensor?

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I see many of you also have the issue of ABS coming on at low speeds on dry pavement. Mine does it all the time now - wet, dry, snowy or icy. Only in forwards - never experienced it in reverse. In one year of ownership of my 2005 Astro RWD, this is the only significant issue I've had with it. From what I've read here and heard from a mechanic, it seems the non-serviceable front bearings also contain the ABS sensor. I've gotten used to driving with it like this, so I always brake extra early and leave lots of space, but I really should get it fixed right. I don't want to pull the fuse - I like having the ABS working.

I'm not very mechanically inclined, so I went to a mechanic I found on Craigslist. He has a small shop and is really trying to drum up business. He's willing to sell me aftermarket bearings (with the ABS sensor, of course) for his price - the jobber rate he gets. I recall it being around $230 per side (I forget the brand name, but it's a decent quality aftermarket brand), plus he would charge me one hour's labor per side so around $600 total, no tax if I pay cash. Seemed a bit high, until I called the stealership. They wanted something well over $650 PER BEARING, per side, and if they install them, and collect tax, it would be close to $2000. I can't afford $2000 but I can afford $600. Please note, these are prices in Canadian dollars, so it may be a bit more than US dollars, but shouldn't be too far off.

Should I save up a bit more and get the OEM parts? I could buy the parts from the Chevy dealer and get the independent garage to install them and just pay cash for the labor. Kind of a compromise. Is it really worth almost triple the price for OEM parts? Will they last three times as long? I know aftermarket parts might not be the best, but I can't see the OEM parts being three times better for three times the price.
2005 Astro RWD, base model, ex-cop van, cadet blue

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Is it worth 3x the price for OEM bearings/ABS sensor?

Post by MountainManJoe »

Sounds pretty good for stealership service.
I paid a reliable mechanic:
$528 parts + $80 labour per hub. I went with a premium aftermarket brand. (can't remember which).

Topic author
JustSomeGuy
I am smitten with my van

Post by JustSomeGuy »

I guess the small independent garage's prices are pretty good then - about $600 to $650 cash, no tax, including parts and installation. It's apparently premium quality aftermarket parts.

But paying close to $2000 for the same job, but with OEM parts and tax at the stealership sounds a bit too rich. I'm not sure it's worth triple the price. Even if I have to change the aftermarket bearings twice for the same period of time the OEM ones would last, I'd still be ahead of the game. But I don't know how long the aftermarket parts will last.

For those premium aftermarket bearings you got, how long did (or have they so far) lasted?

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Did the left one around 210,000 km and the right one @ 233k.
Both are working fine and I'm around 250k now.

Before deciding to go to a mechanic to do it, I remember calling around for prices. There were cheaper hubs available, but this was a part I didn't want to skimp on. I went with the better ones my mechanic suggested.

Topic author
JustSomeGuy
I am smitten with my van

Post by JustSomeGuy »

You got more mileage out of your original ones than I did! I don't know how my van was driven before I got it - could have been a lot of city driving that caused the bearing to wear out sooner. I actually had the mechanic check and he said the bearings weren't really that bad yet, so it wasn't urgent to replace them. I don't know if one side was better than the other, but when I get this done, I'll just get both sides done at once. It's more for the ABS issue, and since the ABS sensor is connected to be bearings, I'll probably get it done sooner rather than later. I agree, this is not a part worth skimping on. If there wasn't such a big gap in price between OEM and aftermarket, I'd go with the OEM parts. If the original ones lasted this long (107,000 kms) I'll be happy if the new ones last another 100,000 kms (65,000 miles). Maybe even longer if I do more highway than city driving.

I'll probably get this done in the next few weeks, but good idea to call around and get prices on parts and settle on one of the better quality brands. I know where I'll go for the labor.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

The right side one was on its very last legs. At first it started squeeking. Then, it started crunching. By the time I replaced it, the wheel had so much play it looked like it might fall off LOL \:D/

If your bearings are still good, then don't waste your money. Especially if you've got another 100k in them. You know you can fix the ABS issue without replacing the hub right? You just have to clean the surfaces between the sensor and reluctor ring.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Google this TSB and DO IT before you waste your money.

03-05-25-007D https://www.google.com/search?ix=hcb&so ... 05-25-007D

Good Luck, Jim

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

You will also want to become familiar with www.rockauto.com

Take Care, Jim

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

astroturf wrote:You will also want to become familiar with http://www.rockauto.com
Jim, he's from :canuk: , eh.

Topic author
JustSomeGuy
I am smitten with my van

Post by JustSomeGuy »

timelessbeing wrote:The right side one was on its very last legs. At first it started squeeking. Then, it started crunching. By the time I replaced it, the wheel had so much play it looked like it might fall off LOL \:D/

If your bearings are still good, then don't waste your money. Especially if you've got another 100k in them. You know you can fix the ABS issue without replacing the hub right? You just have to clean the surfaces between the sensor and reluctor ring.

Yeah, if my wheel bearings are still OK I'd rather stick it out a bit longer if possible. The mechanic said they're not perfect, but he lead me to believe they were still good for quite a while. It was more for the ABS issue I was going to replace them. I'll see if I can pay him an hour's labor and see if maybe he can attempt to clean the surface between the sensor and reluctor ring. That might buy me a bit of time. Not sure how much time, but it's worth a try.
astroturf wrote:Google this TSB and DO IT before you waste your money.

03-05-25-007D https://www.google.com/search?ix=hcb&so ... 05-25-007D

Good Luck, Jim
Thanks. I see many GM trucks are affected by this. I called General Motors head office to have them check my VIN for any outstanding recalls. I was told there were none, and in fact there had never been any recalls on my van, ever. I called the local Chevy dealer and spoke to a service adviser and mentioned the TSB but was told a TSB is more for extra info for a mechanic, but is not a recall. Of course, there's no warranty left on my van (except the emissions and PCM, which won't help me with this). So, according to the service adviser at the Chevy dealer, I'm on my own for this repair.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

timelessbeing wrote:
astroturf wrote:You will also want to become familiar with http://www.rockauto.com
Jim, he's from :canuk: , eh.
Oh... I'm Sorry aye, the land of milk and honey aye, and lots and lots of money aye... LOLz

Carry On aye

Jim aye

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

GM wrenches should be very familiar with this procedure.

Keep us posted.

Topic author
JustSomeGuy
I am smitten with my van

Post by JustSomeGuy »

timelessbeing wrote:GM wrenches should be very familiar with this procedure.

Keep us posted.
Yes, I bet they are! :D

I'm on the fence... deciding whether or not I should take up the offer from the small independent garage for the cash deal of around $650 for parts and labor using (supposedly) decent aftermarket parts, since my bearings are a bit worn anyways. Or get a bit more mileage out of the bearings and just get him to try and clean up the area around the ABS sensors to see if that gets the ABS to stop activating at low speeds on every stop. Or... save up a for a bit longer and get genuine GM parts (around $1300 plus tax) and then get the independent shop to put them in for 2 hours labor. Normally I'm all for getting OEM parts, unless the aftermarket parts are a significant upgrade. But in this case, they're not. It's the price difference! I can get 2 aftermarket bearings for less than the price of one OEM!

So... I'm kind of leaning towards just getting the aftermarket bearings. They might not be as good as OEM parts, but in this case, brand new aftermarket parts should be better than partially worn OEM bearings with defective ABS sensors. Might be the best compromise. I might be moving out of province in the summer and the van will need to be inspected to register it. I don't want it to fail an inspection because the bearings are too worn. Might as well do it now while I have the time and can get a good deal.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

There's nothing wrong with partially worn bearings as long as the keep you rolling straight. Keep in mind that it's not the sensors that are defective, and a new hub will start rusting just the same, eventually arriving at the same problem. Maybe you should get a quote for doing the procedure in the TSB from both GM and the other mechanic.

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

definately try cleaning the abs sensor before forking out the cash. I replaced the DS front bearing on my van at about 120kms, my cost for the GM Part was just over $400 with a deep discount. I left my bearing for almost a year until it started making grinding noise and wearing the outside of the tire so its a trade off ( whats cheaper tires or the bearing ).