Home Brew Lift Kit 95 AWD

Topic author
SnoDrtRider
I get chills without my van.

Re: Home Brew Lift Kit 95 AWD

Post by SnoDrtRider »

doyoulikeithere wrote:
SnoDrtRider wrote:Thanks! Here is the link to the shackles... http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access ... 204654_0_0_
Nice, Thanks, those have a lot more holes than the OLV units. What were the complaints you heard and were they real, or just whiners?
China made junk is one I remember... most likely completely unfounded.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Hmmm. I've always wondered where to get some other than OLV.
Well for 40 bux instead of over a hundred, We need someone to step up and install some, and let us all know how that works out , eh?

Do ya think they are as long as the overland units?
:cheers:
Last edited by doyoulikeithere on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
SnoDrtRider
I get chills without my van.

Post by SnoDrtRider »

doyoulikeithere wrote:Hmmm. Well for 40 bux instead of over a hundred, We need someone to step up and install some, and let us all know how that works out , eh?

Do ya think they are as long as the overland units?
Have no idea... they stock them at the stores. I looked at the but that was it. I decided to do the rear using springs only, no blocks or shackles.

OKflyboy
I am smitten with my van

Post by OKflyboy »

I have the Autozone shackles, have had for many many months, in fact, just waiting for the time to install them. (Right around the time I bought the stuff to lift the Astro - also sourced my own parts - I rescued a Volvo 240 Wagon that had been sitting derelict for almost 10 years, decided to turn it into a +t project, but promised the wife I wouldn't take apart her van until I was sure the Volvo would be safe/reliable enough for her to use while the van is down. The Volvo has taken longer then I thought but is now ready, minus the turbo addition that we're not done sourcing parts for).

I will be using 2" body pucks with the Fastenall hardware shown in this thread (thanks for that, BTW, I was planning on just taking my existing bolts into my local Fastenall store and telling them "I need this - only 2" longer..." but now i Don't have to), and the Autozone Shackles. I'm working full time and going to night school full time, AND volunteering as an Assistant Scoutmaster for my sons' scout troop, so time has been in short supply lately but hopefully will attempt over Thanksgiving break. I'll keep ya' posted, may even start my own thread for it...

kcorleyap
I am merely driving my van

Post by kcorleyap »

I bought direct replacements for my front OVL 2" puck lift from Fastenal. M12x130mmx1.75 pitch. Perfect fit and no additional washers needed.
Attachments
DSCF6410.JPG

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

It's sad that we are even bringing in things like bolts from China. Especially with the unemployment rate.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

OKflyboy wrote:I have the Autozone shackles, have had for many many months, in fact, just waiting for the time to install them. hopefully will attempt over Thanksgiving break. I'll keep ya' posted, may even start my own thread for it...
Any news on these Shackles? I would love to know how you like them...
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

OKflyboy
I am smitten with my van

Post by OKflyboy »

doyoulikeithere wrote:
OKflyboy wrote:I have the Autozone shackles, have had for many many months, in fact, just waiting for the time to install them. hopefully will attempt over Thanksgiving break. I'll keep ya' posted, may even start my own thread for it...
Any news on these Shackles? I would love to know how you like them...
Did the front last night, will be doing the rear tonight after school. Will keep you posted.

AquaAngel
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AquaAngel »

Great post my man and your van is looking good, great job on your work

you showed earlier a set of Shackles which were similar to the one i just received today as i want to lift my van for another 2" but the box says "LOWERING KIT" I am pretty sure i can lift it or is it unsafe to go the other way around?

the one i received was from Beltech part # 6400-100

let me know. Thank you and keep on the good work
93 Astro Van army blue [V8/350/5.7L]
------------

Chevy owned:
93 Astro cargo Van "Phantom Rebel"
98 GMC Safari AWD
09 GMC C5500 6.6L, Duramax "3 ton truck"

AquaAngel
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AquaAngel »

As you went for the lift on your van! have you noticed that your shift linkage got a little tighter? how did you manage to solve that problem as my van is finally on it's new 2" spacers, but my shift linkage is now a little shorter and barely reach the transmission.
93 Astro Van army blue [V8/350/5.7L]
------------

Chevy owned:
93 Astro cargo Van "Phantom Rebel"
98 GMC Safari AWD
09 GMC C5500 6.6L, Duramax "3 ton truck"

clem

Post by clem »

ok here it is I took a skyjacker 6 inch lift sub frame for a full size chevy cut it down to fit and have installed it on a astro sub frame I had from my parts van. I took a set of upper control arms cut the bj ends off and made spacers I flipped the ball joints to the under side of the control arm made a set of spacers to drop the crossmember. I used a set of s10 drop brackets to drop the front diff.
it looks really good but before I will know how it will work I need to finish the welding and put it on my working van.
what do you think doable ?

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

AquaAngel wrote:Great post my man and your van is looking good, great job on your work

you showed earlier a set of Shackles which were similar to the one i just received today as i want to lift my van for another 2" but the box says "LOWERING KIT" I am pretty sure i can lift it or is it unsafe to go the other way around?

the one i received was from Beltech part # 6400-100

let me know. Thank you and keep on the good work
I've been wondering about these shackles as well. They are noticeably cheaper than the astro specific shackles http://www.airbagit.com/lowering-shackl ... s8400a.htm, but they lack the offset. My stock shackles with S10 springs, hit the unibody frame when the suspension is fully compressed, I'm thinking it might be that much worse with a straight shackle.

As far as lowering vs raising; those shackles I believe are for the large trucks that have the leaf spring above the frame mount (shackles face up). So adding length to the shackle actually lowers the stance. Used on our vans they should work fine for lifting other than the above concern.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

clem wrote:ok here it is I took a skyjacker 6 inch lift sub frame for a full size chevy cut it down to fit and have installed it on a astro sub frame I had from my parts van. I took a set of upper control arms cut the bj ends off and made spacers I flipped the ball joints to the under side of the control arm made a set of spacers to drop the crossmember. I used a set of s10 drop brackets to drop the front diff.
it looks really good but before I will know how it will work I need to finish the welding and put it on my working van.
what do you think doable ?
Ambitious project!

I've often wondered if a full-size Chevy lift could be used... with some work... on an Astro/Safari. Guess we'll know soon!

Pics... where are the pics! :bounce:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

clem

Post by clem »

oh this project is nothing compaired to the one I just finished.
I just got done with a solid axle swap on my 1993 s10 blazer I did full width 3/4 ton axles
all hand built link and coil suspension with 37 inch good year MTRs.
this build is just me taking a breather before I start on my k5 turbo diesel crawler build
(I need to create or I think I will just stop living)
besides someone needed to build a real working ifs lift. :muhaha:
I want to fit like a 33/9.50/15 under it

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

clem wrote:I want to fit like a 33/9.50/15 under it
This would be a great tire size to see under one.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!