egr delete

Topic author
moparnut
I am merely driving my van

egr delete

Post by moparnut »

When u do the blankoff plate for egr, do you remove egr permenantly or reinstall over plate? Will u get a check engine light?

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: egr delete

Post by kings-x59 »

unless there is a way to fool the 'puter into thinking the egr is still there, you will get a check engine light.
what year van would that be? :-k
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
moparnut

Post by moparnut »

95 and a 97 astro. I've read posts of people doing them. I was just wondering how it works out with the computer.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Someone with a newer van might know how to do it. Not sure about your '95, but I suspect the '98's egr is electronic.
On my '89 it'd be easy enough to cut the pintle off the egr, put in a blank off plate and reinstall the egr since it's vacuum controlled. As far at the computer'd know, the egr would still be doing it's thing. The pintle just wouldn't be moving in and out of the port.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Actually, from what I can see on an older van (mines 87 & 90) , the only thing actually hooked to the EGR is a vacuum line.
That fact makes me believe the only way that the computer can tell if the EGR is completly removed, is if it sends a signal to the switch that allows vacuum to activate the EGR and doesnt read any change in the condition that prompted it. The EGR is not actually hooked to the computer with any wire, so the computer can not tell if it pintle moves, or not.
many people with s10's are using the Non EGR Edelbrock 2111 or 2114 4bbl manifolds, and putting their TBI on top with an adapter. No EGR, but the computer works fine no codes and better performance.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

chevymaher
I get chills without my van.

Post by chevymaher »

This is to a 90 and I blocked my 94 electronic control.Huge performance difference no dash light and I could care less about code as long as it runs good
EGR Block.jpg
Image90 astro parts van gone.94 safari SLE.68 chevelle SS clone.