Right front brake system leak

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Right front brake system leak

Post by ihatemybike »

RWD and AWD have completely different routing.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

Your right... I thought they were close but they arent anything alike. Here is a picture from the GM Parts catalog. Totally different..

Scott

Topic author
hpygolkyone
I am smitten with my van

Post by hpygolkyone »

My pin-prick leak is right where the two clips, numbered #17.....connect to the flex line going into the front right side drum.

Aaron.........where did you purchase your "roll" of brake line? It's a special order everywhere I go! Even the Chevy dealer needs to order the stupid thing and put the nuts on. Did you have to cut the line into several pieces to make it fit around the frame?

Holy cow.......that's about a 10 foot piece of 1/4" tubing to try and bend without kinking?
2000 Astro AWD
173,000 original miles

My children have been notified they are inheriting my van.......they stopped speaking to me.

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I bought a roll at Advance Auto and a tubing bender, and picked up a loaner flaring tool. I kept the old and new lines in one piece.

Basic directions
Practice making a couple double flares on the roll and cut them off.

Carefully removed the old line from the front of the van, trying to preserve the stock bends. Pulling the bumper cover makes this a little easier.

Using the stock line as a template, bend and cut the new line to match. Leave both ends a little long, as flares need to be put in them.

Cut the flares off the old line to remove the nuts. Put the nuts on the new line, making sure the threads face the ends of the line. Flare the ends of the new line.

Install the new line. This will be a bit of a pain. Relax, take your time, enjoy a tasty beverage. (Fat Tire recommended)

Bleed the brakes. (I am now highly recommending Speed Bleeders)

Sit back, feel accomplished. Call the dealer and ask how much to do the job you just did. Brag about the savings to co-workers.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

Topic author
hpygolkyone
I am smitten with my van

Post by hpygolkyone »

Aaron............hold my hand a little longer, please?

I really don't plan on opening my own shop at this stage of my life so I am trying to do this "on the cheap" and yet, I still realize that these are MY BRAKES I am fixing........ [-o<

1. Did you get one of those $10.00 tube bending pliers.....or did you purchase another, pricier setup?

2. "Green"...and my manship look like twins (mines a 2000)........it looks like 1/4" tubing (not 3/16") coming from the ABS module to the right front wheel......would you agree with my assessment?

3. Can't find anyone with a double flaring tool, so I am going to have to purchase one.......between $25.00 and $35.00.

It looks like you have explained just about everything else to the point of actually coming over to my house and doing the job for me!!!...............I would be more than happy to hold your beer........ :drinkers:
2000 Astro AWD
173,000 original miles

My children have been notified they are inheriting my van.......they stopped speaking to me.

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

I'm all about "on the cheap".

1) I bought one of the $10 ones and returned it. 8-[

2) Top my head I don't know. I can check the left over roll when I get home or maybe someone will chime in.

3) Schuck's-O'Reilly and AutoZone both have loaners around here.

If you lived in the Chicagoland area, I'd be drinking that beer. I also make myself available for phone support. PM for number and available hours.
Aaron

Topic author
hpygolkyone
I am smitten with my van

Post by hpygolkyone »

Thank you, Sensei.........

I have spent more time in research and development on this project than on the actual project. I am all about asking every question imaginable before I attempt something (I wish I had done that with my ex-wife before I married her.....I forgot to ask her the ONE important question: "just how crazy are you"? ) :axe:

Even though I think I have it all squared away, I always leave out something that leaves scratching my head.

I appreciate all your help and patience ( and everyone else on this site).

Grasshopper (aka John)
2000 Astro AWD
173,000 original miles

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Aaron

Topic author
hpygolkyone
I am smitten with my van

UPDATE: Right front brake system leak

Post by hpygolkyone »

Thanks to everyone on this site for all your help.

Here is the update:

After tearing off the front end of my manship, I was able to find a tiny pin-prick of a leak that occurred from another line rubbing against the right front brake line on my 2000 Astro AWD. Removing the front end to gain more access was relatively easy, about an hour and a half of labor....getting the original line out of the vehicle required much more labor and cussing (as the brake line was absolutely unforgiving and seemed to be French-braided amongst the other brake lines) ](*,) After several personal "timeouts" I finally cut out the brake line and was merrily on my way.

I replaced the line with a new poly-vinyl coated 1/4" line which is much more flexible and user friendly than the old hard steel line. I did use the proper tube bending tool to avoid kinks and bends. As anal as I am......there was absolutely NO WAY I was either going to duplicate (or had any desire to duplicate) the original line. If the person who designed those brake lines was paid by the offset, ninety degree and kick......they made a butt-load of money.

I used the same threaded fittings and the double flairs I needed to make were a breeze after a couple of practice runs. A little dob of threading poo-kee and some new speed bleeders finished off the installation.

I am always leery of over tightening these types of fittings....so after I started 'er up and pumped the brakes I found a couple of nice sized puddles forming. An extra 1/4 turn on the fittings sealed the deal........and the green manship is back in action! =D>

Total cost:

Tools: $30.00
Parts: $38.00
Labor: $00.00.......well, a band-aid

I am extremely happy my "baby" is back in action... \:D/ ...my "child units" do not share my enthusiasm.... #-o Much thanks to the many (on this site)......who helped the few (me). I hope I can return the favor.
2000 Astro AWD
173,000 original miles

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

what kind of speed bleeders?

Topic author
hpygolkyone
I am smitten with my van

Post by hpygolkyone »

Manufacturer: HELP!

Model #: 12702

Retailer: AutoZone

Cost: $9.99 / 2 pack
2000 Astro AWD
173,000 original miles

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

These guys?

They look like regular bleeders. What makes em speedy?

Topic author
hpygolkyone
I am smitten with my van

Post by hpygolkyone »

Those are the guys. It's a one man job....attach them.....hook up your hose (so you don't drip fluid all over your disc brakes....open them up a half a turn.....pump the brakes until all the fluid runs clear with no air.....close them down tight. Done.

It takes 10 minutes to bleed your front.......10 for your back. That includes set up! Worth the $10.00 (in my opinion).
2000 Astro AWD
173,000 original miles

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

So do they have a check-valve or something built in to prevent air from getting in?

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Yes, Speed Bleeders have a built in check valve.
Aaron