Dead Kitty

Manifolds, flexpipe, catalytic converters, mufflers, hangers, piping, EGR etc.

Topic author
CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Dead Kitty

Post by CaptSquid »

Well, i gritted my teeth and parted ways with $275 and had a new cat installed. This one is a hi-flow cat. Granted, cats are supposed to last the life of the vehicle, assuming nothing goes wrong with the beastie. Unfortunately, the O2 sensor that the dealer installed was a low-quality sensor and failed relatively early, resulting in a very rich mixture which, in turn, plugged the cat.

My fuel consumption went from approximately 18.5 mpg down to a low of about 10 mpg. It rebounded to almost 14mpg after I replaced the sensor, but it has gone back down to around 12.5mpg. After the new cat was installed, one immediate result was that the van idled much smoother. It did idle like a Hog for a while. We'll see in about a month when I refill the tank just how much better Klementine operates.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Supersport
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Re: Dead Kitty

Post by Supersport »

I think I have the same problem. Did you have any of these symptoms?

It was running rich, found vacuum leaks that seamed to fix the rich symptom but it still idles rough

Runs good when its movin, but wants to die when I put it in Park or Neutral.

Changed out all 3 02 sensors/ Plugs n wires / Cap-rotor/ IAC valve/ERG valve/ Fuel filter and it still doesnt want to idle right. Im thinking I either need to replace the Cat, or Injector assembly.
We do three types of jobs around here....GOOD, FAST and CHEAP.........you may choose any TWO!

If it is Good and Cheap.... It will not be Fast
It it is Good and Fast...... It will not be Cheap.
If it is Fast and Cheap.... It will not be Good.

Lumpy
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Lumpy »

Supersport wrote:
...Changed out all 3 02 sensors/ Plugs n wires / Cap-rotor/ IAC valve/ERG valve/ Fuel filter and it still doesnt want to idle right. Im thinking I either need to replace the Cat, or Injector assembly.
I went through incredibly similar hair-pulling troubleshooting on my 89, only to find that it seems my air intake preheat flapper was staying in the closed position. It would only breathe through the preheat hose coming off the hot exhaust manifold.

After spending a couple of hundred dead presidents on all that same stuff you list, it seems that adjusting that little spring thingie made my 89 idle nicely.

Lump

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Lumpy wrote:
Supersport wrote:
...Changed out all 3 02 sensors/ Plugs n wires / Cap-rotor/ IAC valve/ERG valve/ Fuel filter and it still doesnt want to idle right. Im thinking I either need to replace the Cat, or Injector assembly.
I went through incredibly similar hair-pulling troubleshooting on my 89, only to find that it seems my air intake preheat flapper was staying in the closed position. It would only breathe through the preheat hose coming off the hot exhaust manifold.

After spending a couple of hundred dead presidents on all that same stuff you list, it seems that adjusting that little spring thingie made my 89 idle nicely.

Lump
fortunately, I live a very warm climate, so I just removed the preheat flapper since it was frozen at about half mast anyway.
During the summer I remove the preheat hose. In the winter I keep it on. the intake duct work breaths pretty good now.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Lumpy
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Lumpy »

kings-x59 wrote:

fortunately, I live a very warm climate, so I just removed the preheat flapper since it was frozen at about half mast anyway.
During the summer I remove the preheat hose. In the winter I keep it on. the intake duct work breaths pretty good now.
I'm in Phoenix. It's 102 on my back portch as I type this at 2009 hrs local.. :rolleyes:

I wanted to keep the preheat intact for the smog inspection.
But I'm happy to hear that wasn't your problem. Well, actually,
it would have been simpler if that WAS your problem. Oh well.
Back to the drawing board.

Stay cool

Lumpy

You played on "The Love Boat"?
Yes. White tux, huge sideburns.

http://www.LumpyMusic.com

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

A stock cat is actually designed to last 10 years. You can get more out of them depending on mileage and the type of driving you do. If you are mostly highway miles you will get more if you are short trips around town so it doesn't get hot and stay hot to clean itself out you will get less. Most aftermarket cats are rated at a 5 year life. Once again it all depends on use. Glad to hear your van is running better now.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Supersport wrote:I think I have the same problem. Did you have any of these symptoms?

It was running rich, found vacuum leaks that seamed to fix the rich symptom but it still idles rough

Runs good when its movin, but wants to die when I put it in Park or Neutral.

Changed out all 3 02 sensors/ Plugs n wires / Cap-rotor/ IAC valve/ERG valve/ Fuel filter and it still doesnt want to idle right. Im thinking I either need to replace the Cat, or Injector assembly.
Have you done a compression check on the cylinders to see if the valves are sealing?
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Topic author
CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

This Friday is payday. I think I'll make a trip to the Little Big Horn Battlefield or Pompey's Pillar to blow out the crud and get the kitty warmed up. It's all highway driving.
98 AWD Stro LS

ImageImage

Topic author
CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

Well, didn't do what I said last time. but after this morning's fill, my fuel consumption went from 12 mpg to 15.3 mpg.
98 AWD Stro LS

ImageImage

draggnastro
I am smitten with my van

Post by draggnastro »

i believe this may be the problem with mine. My cat has 165k and 22 years on it. thank goodness here in FL no inspections. The cat is scrap metal as far as im concerned.