Stackers Concept

Manifolds, flexpipe, catalytic converters, mufflers, hangers, piping, EGR etc.

Topic author
Mr Bean
I finally get the smurf thing

Stackers Concept

Post by Mr Bean »

Just wanted to be sure everyone knew I'm not the kind of individual who puts exhaust stacks and peterbuilt stickers on my vehicle in the hopes it will grow up to be a semi someday...I am interested in a single very discreet stack on the drivers' side to route the exhaust up and away from the van for those times when we idle for heat/ a/c We are purchasing two carbon monoxide alarms to install in the van that will let us know if there happens to be a problem and we don't idle now for fear of CO poisoning of course. But if we installed a stainless and well-sealed stack, it would reduce the chances of CO entering the van. Is this even possible? Here's a horrible photochop I made quickly to give an idea of dual stacks...my deepest apologies to 97CargoCrawler for messing with your photo...but it was one of the BEST on the web...really...perfect for a quickie photochop. If the photo makes you sick, let me know and I'll delete 8-[ Once again, I'm not a trucker wannabe...just exploring a single stack for safety/utilitarian purposes...

~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT
All about me, my girl, & our van with loads of pics:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5281

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Stackers Concept

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

When we were wheeling at Paragon AP in the winter, the van would idle all day long unless we were moving. We never had any issue with CO or any fumes at all getting in. I had stock exhaust as well as duals out the rear bumper and neither one showed any issues. I think the problem comes in when the exhaust system has leaks in it under the vehicle.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Also, there are much better ways to heat/cool the interior of the van that using the engine.

A propane catalyst heater can handle the heating duties. While many companies say you don't need to worry about venting with them, it's a good idea to do so as they can deplete the oxygen in the vehicle. Platinum Cat Heaters is a brand that I'm looking at as I daydream about creating a ski bum van. They use a design that is made to vent to the outside of the vehicle.

For cooling, I haven't looked into this too much yet. A good starting point would be an RV style roof vent (that's what the square on the roof is for) and some window shades. If heat venting isn't enough, then maybe look into an RV's AC unit.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

I just may have an exhaust leak...cause we can certainly smell it pretty soon after starting the van. You had stock and dual exhaust without issues...so that's how ours should behave. As for the Cat heater...I am definitely interested...but I also know of two real-life situations where they became deadly. And I read a full government article outlining the tests performed in a gas chamber for the cat heaters...and the risk of hypoxia if you make a mistake still exists. But the concept of running your exhaust high would technically solve the issue...maybe. It would have to make a very good seal at the manifold of course...if there's a problem, that's what the dual CO sensors are for.
~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I think it's kind of cool, but if I were going to do it, I'd run 1 stack up in the far right rear corner like where the jack is stored. It would be the easiest, since that is where the stock tailpipe is anyway. A section of double wall tube would be enough to stop the heat transfer that far from the engine, in my opinion, and I'd put a flapper on top like a tractor just for grins. I'd sleeve it so that the outside of the pipe was sealed to the van and the inside pipe just passed through it from bottom to top with an air gap of like 1", open on both ends so air and heat can pass through.

You could put it on the left side behind the drivers seat, I guess, but if you look underneath your van, you'll see that it won't be easy to do. The gas tank, fuel lines, and if you're AWD, your drive shaft, T-case, torsion bars, ABS module (newer vans), e-brake cable, etc, are all kinds of in the way. The right side is pretty open.

Have you thought about running up on the outside of the van? It would look wild and be easier to do and un-do.

Topic author
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

True Roy....that's still on my mind...but I thought about the fact that less exhaust pipe running under the chassis, the less chance a leak could form and cause issues...thinking about the possibility of actually running it up just behind the drivers' seat...Still trying to brainstorm...if I actually do this...I'll post here about it...
~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Post by GnarliSafari »

seems like having a hole in your floor and an actual exhaust pipe inside would worsen your problems. i would like mentioned just have it looked at by a legit exhaust shop and fix any leaks they may find.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.

Topic author
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

GnarliSafari wrote:seems like having a hole in your floor and an actual exhaust pipe inside would worsen your problems. i would like mentioned just have it looked at by a legit exhaust shop and fix any leaks they may find.
you know...I might just do that. at least in the meantime. if I get some spare time and a huge dump of creativity, i just might get something fabbed for fun. but for the moment...i'll worry about the leak...
~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT

markinnh

Post by markinnh »

You may want to look into the states laws for exhaust systems, I know in my state that whole idea of exhaust run through a passenger area is totally illegal. Not only do you present a possible leak situation but also an easy way to get burned &/ or a possible fire from something falling on the hot exhaust.
always tinkering with stuff

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

still scratchin' my head on this one scott. i'm not really sure what you are trying to accomplish with this exhaust 'mod' :-k

if you are concerned about CO2 at idle, you either must sit and idle a LOT and/or already have a bad leak. any properly maintained, installed exhaust would resolve this issue/risk

as mentioned, there are better ways to heat the interior than cutting holes in the floor and roof, just to have a stack. also as mentioned the risk of CO2 getting in would be greater I'd think. if you really MUST have a stack, go under the rocker on the drivers side and run it up the outside of the van.. although, I'm still not getting it.... 8-[
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

crash wrote:still scratchin' my head on this one scott. i'm not really sure what you are trying to accomplish with this exhaust 'mod' :-k

if you are concerned about CO2 at idle, you either must sit and idle a LOT and/or already have a bad leak. any properly maintained, installed exhaust would resolve this issue/risk

as mentioned, there are better ways to heat the interior than cutting holes in the floor and roof, just to have a stack. also as mentioned the risk of CO2 getting in would be greater I'd think. if you really MUST have a stack, go under the rocker on the drivers side and run it up the outside of the van.. although, I'm still not getting it.... 8-[
we sleep in the van every weekend. literally. i do concerts all over the place...and hate to stay with people, so we chill in our van. but wanted to be able to idle.well...the exhaust stack would nearly eliminate the CO issue...but I've solved the issue a MUCH easier way. we just bought a motorcoach :) this thread is no longer applicable.
~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Congrats on your purchase! :cheers:
Of course we will need to see pics! :D
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

Topic author
Mr Bean

Post by Mr Bean »

snapple wrote:Congrats on your purchase! :cheers:
Of course we will need to see pics! :D
Here's the thread :)