Astro motorhomes also partial frame unibody?

Topic author
T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Astro motorhomes also partial frame unibody?

Post by T.Low »

How are the Astro based motorhomes by Tiger and Chinook etc.? Do they put frames under them or do they have their own respective unibody systems?

And unfortunately, no, I'm not buying one. My buddy and I were just wondering.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Astro motorhomes also partial frame unibody?

Post by 1Gary »

To be honest I have been looking at both motor home manufactures for sometime and I never found a good answer to your question.The web site that used to be a Tiger motor home owners forum on MSN was canceled.Provans that built them moved and doesn't have any info for them any longer.I do remember a member here(but not his user name)that owned one of these motorhome.Sorry I can't offer anymore to help out.

One other thing I remember reading over and over again in the Tigermotorhomeowners forum was around was how limited these motor homes where in terms of their ability to tow anything.Pretty much limited to the M/H's wt only.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I looked under one once and saw no difference in the subframe compared to a regular astro. I was thinking "AWD subframe swap" when I looked. My wife said "I don't think so.". it looked like the stock astro floorpan was fairly complete under the rear part also, seemed kind of weird.

If that thing is still for sale I'll get another look at it, as long as my wife isn't around.

kamenz
I get chills without my van.

Post by kamenz »

Tom,my friend has a 98 AWD Astro Tiger,and no there is no special sub frame. Provan just cut the body behind the driver cabin down to the floor and build the camper body on top of it.I was often a rear passenger in the back of the rig off road and the flexing is quite severe.But some how it seems to stay together.We navigated roads where my other friend with a Quigly equipped Sportmobile got hopelessly stuck.My friend installed rear air bags which helps the ground clearance but not the twisting.Naturally his front torsion bars are maxed out.
Kamenz

1998 Astro AWD Conversion

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

kamenz wrote:Tom,my friend has a 98 AWD Astro Tiger,and no there is no special sub frame. Provan just cut the body behind the driver cabin down to the floor and build the camper body on top of it.I was often a rear passenger in the back of the rig off road and the flexing is quite severe.But some how it seems to stay together.We navigated roads where my other friend with a Quigly equipped Sportmobile got hopelessly stuck.My friend installed rear air bags which helps the ground clearance but not the twisting.Naturally his front torsion bars are maxed out.

Well that answers that! Thanks, K, and good to hear from you.
ImageImageImageImage

VanGeorge
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by VanGeorge »

I thought I'd drop in to give some info on this subject. I have owned two of the Tiger motorhome versions. The Astro Unit ( XL model) and the truck version (the CX) There was an earlier version called the GT which was on the Astro chassis but it had a pop top. Both of the "camper" units are almost identical except the XL (Astro) unit was about 10 inches shorter and 8" narrower. The mounting was a bit different. The truck (CX) has 2" by 2" steel tubes welded to the frame and the "Camper" was positioned in place and bolted to the cross tubes. On the Astro (XL) the "Camper" is placed right down on the rear floor area of the van and bolted to it. The walls and roof having been cut off as described above. The "Camper" walls are fabricated from square aluminum tubing and jigged together and set on the flooring, which has been precut to accept the camper frame. They then add all the interior walls and the major components like Refrig, heater, stove etc. The bathroom is built as the camper comes together and very difficult to renovate or enlarge if one wanted to. After all electrical and plumbing is done the fiberglass roof section is lowered into place and attached. All the wiring and lights have been added the top as soon as it was delivered to the factory. Now comes the exterior Aluminum sheeting,( NOT FIBERGLASS as some believed) the windows added and on and on...I live one hour from the factory and spent quite a bit of time there when they moved from Northglenn, CO about six years ago. In 2004 the owner (back then) Dave sent me out on a sales trip with the factory demo. I drove it up to Ohio then out to CO. WY, NV, CA, AZ, NM, TX where I showed it to interested parties who had called the factory and showed some interest. I didn't sell any but have a great time in it. It was the CX version with 4 wheel drive. I told the new company owner that I'd do it for him if he wanted me to. If that happens, I'll post it here and maybe some of you guys can get a good look at it right from your own driveway.

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Great Info! Would love to check one out! :supz:
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

Mr Bean
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Mr Bean »

Had to scour the net for these...but rustled up some pics. Also here's a link to one for sale in Nevada:

http://reno.en.craigslist.org/rvs/1480547556.html

SOFT TOP:

HARD TOP:
~Scott & Heather
2001 Astro AWD LT
All about me, my girl, & our van with loads of pics:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5281

Great A'Tuin

Post by Great A'Tuin »

I saw a Tiger last September when I was coming over Snoqualmie Pass. I was towing a car to North Bend to deliver to the new owner who lives in Bellingham (not Tom L.).
I never knew such a critter existed.
Make mine AWD.

john
john

2000 LS AWD
2.5" lift, 3.73 G80, Bilsteins, 235/75-15 Toyo A/T's, 2500 Brakes, Skid plate
Ultra-Gauge, Long/Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Electric fans, Bed Kit. 265,000 miles.

kamenz
I get chills without my van.

Post by kamenz »

John,most of them are AWD.Was the one you saw a Astro or a full size truck? Mine is build on a 2500 Silverado and I was on the road at this Time.Yes I 90.
Kamenz

1998 Astro AWD Conversion

Great A'Tuin

Post by Great A'Tuin »

It was an Astro! That's what caught my eye. I only saw it for a few second as it went by the other direction...
john

2000 LS AWD
Ultra-Gauge, Long/Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Electric fans, Bed Kit. 265,000 miles.

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

I'd love to see that pop top version in a custom lifted and kitted out for overlanding. Even its if just photoshopped. ( :whistle: :rock: If I had a million dollars... \:D/ )
ImageImageImageImage

Great A'Tuin

Post by Great A'Tuin »

If I could ever find/afford an AWD Tiger, the first thing I'd do is lift it, V8 it and have it ready for serious Overlanding.
But I think the only pop-top I'll be able to afford is an Autohome OverZone...

http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/overzone.php
john

2000 LS AWD