Tramper Build data request

Topic author
Xephius
I get chills without my van.

Tramper Build data request

Post by Xephius »

Yo Peter,

I am thinking about building a Tramper like trailer for my Astro. Mine of course would have a 3" drop, be black, and have aerodynamic superiority over the current Tramper design. :yawinkle:

Would you be kind enough to post up (or link me to) some pictures of your Tramper build? I am wanting to formulate my plans now while I am getting the LT1 up and running. (BTW, I still want to line my little 360 LT1 up against your ZZ Monster)

Thanks in advance.

-X
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: Tramper Build data request

Post by Rebel »

Here we go. [-o<
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

Fun you should bring that up i was looking into building a place to start cutting up that 95 i have
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I'll see what I can dig up for ya! There are a few things I woulda done differently. Then again, hindsight is always 20/20 :smurf:

As far as running against ole ZZ, you shouldn't have a problem if you're 2wd and running around 400 horsies. Remember, I'm cutting 13.9's as is, but she's a fat, lifted un-aerodynamic pig. The engine develops 502 hp with open headers, not with my restrictive OEM manifolds (although the stocker s.steel manifolds have been modded for more flow, headers they ain't). I'm betting I make somewhere around 440-450 hp max! I'm a iron-blocked (though alum. headed) big block with a heavier 4L80 tranny, heavier NP240 t-case & heavier 9" rear, not to mention a front diff assembly as well. I'm sure I'm pushing 5000+lbs.

You should be able to make short work out of me if you're running just 400 hp in your 2wd. On the other hand, if you decide you wanna tackle ole ZZ on an incline while we're towing our respective Trampers, then bring it on sister :smurf:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Rebel wrote:Here we go. [-o<

You'd have figured that the mods of this site woulda put up a sticky warning newbs about how to NOT get me goin', huh Larry :muhaha:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Xephius

Post by Xephius »

Thanks for looking into the Tramper details. I think it would help.

After doing some more number crunching and a few changed in my build for reliablity, I am probably only going to be putting something like 350-375 to the rear wheels. But with rolling back some of the HP build features I can have better MPG and still run a 150HP shot of wet Nitrous and go when I need to. Hard to tell at this point, first I have to get it to idle....

Now, I did want to make note of something here... You keep talking about how "big" your tires are, and how impressive they are. While, mine not be as big as yours but I would venture to say, are more fun to ride on the the street. I mean, 10" wide is nothing to scoff at, and when they grab hold I have traction all day long. on that....

How do you deal with your springs? Do you have traction bars or ladders? I am thinking I need to ditch my fiberglass spring and replace it with some metal springs and a set of traction bars to help wheel hop. With the old V6 those tires got so much grip the wheel would hop badly on a good launch.

-X
-=John=-
1995 Chevy Panel Wagon - Stillen Body Kit, 3" Drop, Rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, 18" Wheels with Yokohama Wrappers. LT1- .060 Hyper Pistons, Blueprinted and balanced, all ARP, LT4 Hot Cam, 1.6:1 SS roller rockers, 52mm TB, Elderbrock Headers, PCM Tuned with LT4 Knock Module, Aeromotive AFPR, 2800 Stall, Hardened 4L60E, Posi 3.72:1 Diff
Getting:
100HP Shot Zex Wet Nitrous Kit.... Why? If you have to ask, you won't understand....

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I insisted on maintaining the ride quality of a stocker, so I used lift blocks out back to raise ride height. Because I didn't listen to Deano and simply slap in an extra leaf or so, axle wrap was so bad I actually encountered a situation where the tires literally rotated themselves into my wheel wells....and this within the 1st 30' of ZZ's maiden "run around the block".
I must brag about the ride being relatively smooth though, compared to if I'd added the 1-2 more leafs to raise my rear. This was my daily driver, I didn't wanna jar my bones loose every time I got behind the wheel. The roads in Quebec are an abomination, really!

Oh, and yes. Good ole-fashioned home-made traction bars. I looked into some new-fangled anti axlewrap system being touted as the best but the manufacturer couldn't promise me that their aluminum and bushing setup would withstand the salt we use here in the winter.

My tires are more than 10" wide. The rims are 10" but the tires (at least the 1st set of BFG A/T 325/60 x 15's) measured out to around 12" at the tread. My newer Kumhos (in the same size) are a bit narrower, though...
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Xephius

Post by Xephius »

Ok, I will give you that your tires are bigger, and wider, and you might even have better traction when it's wet and slippery such the common scenario in Canada. BUT, down here in Texas where it is hot, and the roads are (for the most part) very well maintained, things are a bit different. I think you will find that my 255/45-R18's will tear up the road quite nicely. I have yet to have anyone complain about the ride in my van. Not to say that big tires such as you have don't also have a place, but it tends to be playing in the mud.

I agree that good old fashion traction bars are probably the way to go. I plan on building a set such as they are outlined here...
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/Traction.html

I will be making a set of those, and I will do a write up on it.. Did you happen upon those Tramper build photos?

:cheers:

-X
-=John=-
Getting:

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

he'll get around to pics eventually since he'll be showing off.
the roads in quebec are.... something else i'm heading down there this weekend going to set my shock to absorb as much bump as they can.
texas roads are SMOOTH compared to what we get here lol except for those big holes they sometime leave open when doing road work (do you know the ones i mean the one that truly take most of the car into it and once your in you need a tow truck to get out.....)
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I'll post 'em up this weekend. There are so many to choose from, it'll take awhile to figure out which ones to post. I may have some pics of the traction bar build-up as well.

My tires are wider than yours, but I never claimed they had more traction on pavement. On the track especially, they gave me a real hard time. A/T's aren't exactly the "hot set-up" when it comes to on-road gripabilitification.
What? It's a word, really 8-[

Of course I'll be showing off, Cobra. After age 45, there's precious little else I can do :cry:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

i'm not sure i'm following the motive on comparing off road large fat tires on a lifted van to rubber band tires on a lowered van? other than being round, black and made of rubber.... it's apples to oranges.... no .. to grapefruits... nooo.. bananas ... tomatoes!? hmm, i'm hungry..

let's get back to the tramper secret plans lol .. mmwwoohahahaha :-k :peep:
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

You'd have figured that the mods of this site woulda put up a sticky warning newbs about how to NOT get me goin', huh Larry
:muhaha:

You'd of thunk.lol
Go for it bud,,you da man.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

cd0156

Post by cd0156 »

I think as far as horsepower you will be fine, as Petey pointed out, you are 2wd, so far less weight, also he went a little overboard with the ammenities.. (it is hard being out in the woods when you are used to being so prissy and pampered all the time, i guess..) You could easily shave some weight off the trailer.. especially if you are going with smaller tires and more of a lowered look. You may even be able to dump the rear axle and put a regular trailer axle in there.. (that diff has some weight to it..)

I would DEFINATELY change the fiber leafs over to steel ones without hesitation if you are going to be pulling the trailer and running higher horsepower..

Now hurry up and finish the van so we can see another trailer project!!! :bounce:
1999 Astro 4WD
NP231c Transfer Case Conversion, Custom Shifter and Front Driveshaft, 31x10.5x15 BFG AllTerrain, Custom Warn Front Bumper, DHC Rockrails, Superwinch 5000lb winch, Warn Spotlights and Flood lights on Custom Mounts, Thule Roof Racks Safari Rack and Kayak Racks, Alpine Touchscreen AM/FM/XM/CD/DVD/iPod, Eclipse Amps, Focal Utopia Component Speakers, Alpine TypeR 12" Subs, and probably lots more I am forgetting.... seems to happen more and more these days...

Topic author
Xephius

Post by Xephius »

Pay no attention to my rubber ramblings, they are really of no consequence to this thread. I am aware of the traction differential of on vs. off-road tires. I was just attempting (very poorly) to engage in witless banter. :dunce: So be it...

I am working on getting the van fired up... I just keep coming across little things that I want to get "right" while I am working on it. I know that once it is buttoned up and running I will be very hesitant to go back and do anything over because I will want to move on to other parts of the project. So I will continue to slog through it. #-o

I am thinking of adding a flat rear "deck" behind the barn doors wide enough to allow me to put a dirt bike up on it. Also I think this would help balance the trailer out a bit. But I am going to reserve my plans until I see the feedback from Peter.

-X
-=John=-
Getting:

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I would highly recommend that you get your new motor 'dialed-in' and running well, with a few thousand miles under its belt first.

Before adding a 17k + lb slug to tow.....
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc