Front Tow hooks

Topic author
midnighthunder89
I finally get the smurf thing

Front Tow hooks

Post by midnighthunder89 »

hello
I was going to a local junkyard this weekend and I thought about something that might attach to the safari with a little modding. Is there a way that the front tow hooks from a Blazer or similar truck could be out fitted? I don't know how they are factory mounted, so if anyone has a blazer or similar and can post pics that would be awesome. Do you think this can be done?
99 sle awd safari
Another addition to cash for clunkers.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Front Tow hooks

Post by peter »

LOLOL. You just reminded me that I had bought a pair over a year ago and still haven't installed 'em! Idiot ](*,)
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Jinmajay
I sleep in my van

Post by Jinmajay »

I have a pair for my project van from a 2005 3/4 ton GMC that I plan on using but I also have the the same trucks front bumper to put on. :-s

If you do plan on actually using them, I would attach them to the under side of the front subframe bumper mounts near where the idler arms connect. You will have to do some serious cutting and modifications to the stock bumper though...

Break new ground! Get'cha some and put them on.
The Tran man http://jayjensen.shutterfly.com/action/

1994 AWD GMC Safari, V8 truck van project
1998 2WD Astro
1999 AWD Astro

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

I installed the 3/4 ton chevy truck tow hooks on the front of my 2003 Astro AWD.

I did an earlier post with my eye bolt install which was too weak.
the new install is stout.

I will post some pics as soon as I get a chance.

basically the technique is to bolt a 1/4 steel plate to the under side of the cross member. on the AWD this is easy since there are already 3 hole (drain holes I supposed in the oEM cross bar. ) to make it easy, i ordered 2 pieces of structural plates made by the company called USP structural , the plate is PN KHST6, and cost about $20 each it is 6 inch wide by 25 1/2 inch long and is pre drilled with 12 holes near the ends. It just so happens that some of these holes line up with the oem Astro holes in the cross bar. just use piano wire trick to thread in some 5/8 inch diameter SAE fine. grade 8 bolts and secure the KHST6 stap then use 3/4 inch bolts to attache the second KHST6 strap in front of the first one.
then use 1/2 inch bolts to secure the chevy truck horizontal oriented tow hooks.

pictures will explain it all

later,

Astrophyscis

AstroVanLifeMontana
I am merely driving my van

Post by AstroVanLifeMontana »

Good morning Astrophysics,

I was wondering if you possibly had photos of your tow hook install on the front of your Astro van? I have a 2000 AWD astro that I want to set up with hooks on the front and would be stoked if you still had photos. Thank you!!
Attachments
-0R3CsMjVaYsHlPrQ-ZoctXEqMSaBg_UGujFx3Ac_Z4.jpg

Mmusicman
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Mmusicman »

I too am interested in front tow hooks.. and will be watching this thread.
Preferably though, I'd like something on the frame.. I do not want to alter the bumper.

@AstroVanLifeMontana: What part of Montana are you from? I live in South Florida, but my lifted AWD van came from Whitefish Montana. :)
-
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Over several years the toe hooks on my 2003 Astro AWD went through 3 revisions:

1. Sub frame cross bar is easy since 3 OEM holes are already there. Just use the thin wire to fish and pull grade 8 bolts thru. Then bolt on a heavy piece of Simpsom strong tie steel plate about 8" x 20" to sub frame cross bar. The bolt tow hooks to that plate. This method has draw backs since hooks are low, and recessed rearward front front edge of bumper. This method requires cutting a round or oval access hole in the lower plastic air dam portion of the OEM bumper skin. Which is easy, as one would do to mount fog lights in the air dam.

2. Carefully mark and cut oval hole about 4" x6" in front bumper cover with jig saw. This hole is the same size as the nice rubber grommets that come with Gates tail lights. Also, this method requires that you temporarily remove plastic bumper guard. Then on OEM stock thin sheet metal bumper cut the oval hole too. The idea is that the S10 Chevy blazer compact toe hooks will share one of same bolt hole as the bumper bracket. The other hole requires you to drill a 3/8" hole in frame. Not difficult. These tow hooks look great. The rubber trim is the finishing touch can looks nice .

3. Installed new aluminum I beam Romeo Rim bumper from a ford van school bus.
This new bumper is used without the OEM Astro plastic bumper guard, so it is the easy to mount tow hooks.

Pictures of my beige colored 2003 AWD are posted on site with all 3 versions.

4. Alternate idea. Get about 20ft length of 3/8" diameter vinyl coated wire rope and fish it in and across the sub frame OEM holes to form a loop. Bring ends out to front of bumper thru 4x6" holes that you cut in air dam. Finish ends with 3 swage crimp fittings to form loop at each end. Install 1/4" stainless steel eye bolts as the top 2 bolts securing the front license plate replacing the small OEM license plate bolts. Just use locking carabiner to secure the tow loop end to eye bolts for storage.
To use tow system just undo the looped ends and attach them to your 30 ft recovery strap(s) with D shackles.

AP

AstroVanLifeMontana

Post by AstroVanLifeMontana »

Dang, thank you so much for the info!!

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

I will try to post photos of tow hooks on my 2003 AWD. I have the Overland 2" lift .
Or you could search the Off Road section of this site and locate the thread for that topic from maybe 2 years ago.

AP