Safari Grill

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Safari Grill

Post by meetthespeakers »

::UPDATE:: LOTS OF PICS

Just finished installing the safari grill with sealed headlamps, and a Stull Billet Grill insert on my 98 astro. It is a direct bolt-on, took maybe an hour to cut out existing grill on the safari grill, mount the stull grill, and then swap out the fronts.Total Cost=$170 shipped and installed. Let me know your thoughts, I already think I need to paint the surround black, and possibly I should paint the grill black as well, thoughts? :partyman:

Safari Grill, you have to cut out the existing grill which is plastic to mount the Stull Grill. The Stull grill does not bolt on top.
How the Stull Grill attaches to the stock frame.
Old Grill, versus new one thats about to be installed.
New Grill installed, it's kind of a gray finish. My parking lamps are tinted with VHT Nightshade.
I photoshopped this to see how the grill would look black. Thoughts?
Last edited by meetthespeakers on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

justice
I sleep in my van

Re: Safari Grill

Post by justice »

it should be able to bolt on, and yes the logo is molded into the grill (minus the red reflector letters)
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I had a feeling the logo was molded in. So I guess if I wanted to remove it I would have to go with a billet grill that replaces it?

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

yeah, you would need the billet insert.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Yes it will bolt in place of the astro grill , when lockdoc put the newer nose on his now my 92 astro he first put a 95 astro nose on it & then switched to the better looking safari grill & lights .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

meetthespeakers wrote:I know this might be blasphemy but, will the GMC Safari grill (with sealed beam headlamps) bolt directly inplace of the Astro Grill?
Not blasphemy, lots of people like the big mouth look of the Safari grill. If I can find the grill, then the insert cheap I'd like to do it to Grumpy during it's A-Team van redo.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Well I totaled everything I want for the next phase. For a brand new safari grill, and the stull insert (replaces the stock one/doesn't slip over existing), its $265 shipped. Which isn't too bad.... Even though its just cosmetic.
Then it's new rims and tires, wings west body kit, and the volant cold air kit, and on and on and on...
Must.... control.... self.... and build garage first. 8-[

PharmAstrocist
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by PharmAstrocist »

LOL... I sooo remember that phase!

It really never ends... once a modder, always a modder!
Krispy: '90 Astro Cargo Shorty ----------------------Newest Addition: Kremey: Stock '99 Astro LS 8 Passenger, New CD/MP3 w/ 10" Woofer
Lowered
Rimmed
Kitted
Wired for Sound

ImageImageImageImage Krispy&Kremey

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

i just picked up that same grill not too long ago to replace my astro one......the immediate difference is that the astro grill has approx. four or five.....maybe three...can't quite remember right now......screws holding it in at the bottom just above the bumper....this particular grill does not
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Interesting... go on.... Did it still "bolt-on"? Or did you have to add screws/drill holes?

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

actually i haven't bolted it on yet as i'm hacking it up and making a custom grill out of it...... i'll also be using my existing composite headlights.....the top mounting points are also different as well as this grill goes across the entire front of the van and the chev grill ends where the composite's starts so it's just the middle section that has any mounting points........i hope that makes sense...however looking at the grill it's nothing a drill can't fix...if you give me till next week i'll try taking pics of the exact differences
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

I actually can't decide whether to retain the stock lights I have now, or to switch to the composite lights. The sealed beam grill looks like it doesn't come with the chrome trim, whereas the composite one does. Decisions...decisions. But yea, i'll wait, no rush here till it gets a little warmer.

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

meetthespeakers wrote: Image
ok, i went out and took a closer look....also took pics but forgive me haven't had a chance to upload them yet........ so as you can see on the pic you've posted the safari grill has four mounts across the top..........two in the middle, where the outer most protruded plastic tabs are and at the very outside edge above the headlights.........and then one in the middle below the gmc emblem.........

the chevy grill has three points by which it is fastened......all three in the middle and each between the protruded plastic thingys.....then the bottom also has a single mount but it's lower than the gmc grilll......i was mistaken and is only one.......it's a little bit below the bumper cover and turns out i couldn't access it with my body kit over top of it so i've left it free floating........i'll try posting pics first chance i get...but hopefully this helps.........

p.s. i've been looking at vans passing by and noticed that both the sealed beam and composite light chev grills have the same bottom mounting point
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Astro Grill
Safari

There they are (as far as mounting points, I went ahead and ordered it. If it's warm next weekend then I'll get into it. They messed up on the shipping charges so I scored the grill for like $85 shipped. Hopefully it will be straightforward.

Topic author
meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

The Grill arrived today in what looked to be the size of a refrigarator box. I called the place I ordered the Stull billet insert from, guess what, the fax order never went through from the company to stull since they are drop shipping it. Now I am gonna have to wait another week. Bastards. I'll let you guys know as soon as I get it mounted.

Oh P.S. For some reason I had no idea the whole grill was made out of plastic. I thought the bars where atleast metal. :whistle: