New to this for and the Astro/Safari platform...quick questi

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
sc-surfer
I am smitten with my van

New to this for and the Astro/Safari platform...quick questi

Post by sc-surfer »

Hi all. I'm new to the Astro/Safari platform but not to off-road vehicles etc. Coming from the VW Syncro world and currently running a Ford 7.3L truck. Since selling my Syncro after 20+ years I've been missing the benefits of a van and I love ugly little vehicles...so Astro is perfect!! Also looking forward to the MUCH cheaper cost of ownership and upgrading vs. the Syncro world.

I'm currently sourcing an AWD van and since I know very little about the GM motor in them I'm wondering what the longevity is in these motors. I'm toying with buying a CHEAP but clean high milage van vs. paying premium price for a low milage one. Ultimately I'm not afraid to swap in a new long block at some point, but w just don't know what to expect.

Any info on longevity, failure prone parts, things to look for or avoid would be GREAT. Currently looking into a 2001 AWD pass. van for $1600. Lots of miles but otherwise clean. At that price theres a lot of budget left for upgrades...or is that a bad idea? Seems low milage AWDs fetch more like $6-10k around here.

Thoughts and advice appreciated. Really looking forward to learning and modifying a new platform!!

Thanks all.

Monte
2003 Astro AWD 27x.xxx Miles
Journeys 7" lift set to about 6in.
BFG 30 x 9.5s on factory 16" wheels

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Re: New to this for and the Astro/Safari platform...quick qu

Post by Captn. Crunch »

The 4.3 is a 350 with the front two cylinders lopped off. It will run forever as long as it isn’t overheated or run out of oil. The biggest concern with the 4.3 is the lower intake manifold gaskets and orange dexcool. If you can find a van with intake gaskets replaced you’ll be good to 300,000 miles with regular maintenance and green coolant.
P.S. welcome to the astrosafari world. Read on and enjoy the ride!!
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Topic author
sc-surfer
I am smitten with my van

Post by sc-surfer »

Good to know.

What happens at 300k? Just the usual internal engine wear?

Are intake gaskets unusually difficult on these vans? Seem like an easy issue...unless it's not.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

As with all things mechanical, even the most well cared for machine will fail. Compression will drop off, lifters will take longer to pump up I’m sure you know the drill. The 4.3 is a robust power plant that will serve you faithfully as long as it can and only the A/S gods know how long that is. The 4.3 was a very popular engine that GM put into all kinds of vehicles so replacement will never be an issue. The 5.7 fits right into the vans engine compartment if that suits you also
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT

Topic author
sc-surfer
I am smitten with my van

Post by sc-surfer »

Indeed. Thanks.

Gonna keep up the search. I'm willing to wrench, but also willing to pay a little more for the right van...Going to be a fun project!

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Great! We’ll be here ready to help
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Hey Monte. Welcome.

These aren't the youngest vans. Plastics, rubbers, electrics just break down over time. I don't know if rust is an issue where you are. But I would spend a little extra to get the newest, lowest mileage van I could find in order to get a head start. Axles and brakes were improved in 2003 so I would try to get that. I'm not sure if they ever went distributor-less, but that would be nice to have because they are a source of headache.

The engines last a decent amount of time and are much stronger than VWs. The transmissions suffer sooner so you could be looking at a big bill for that if you go high mileage. As was mentioned, intake and head gaskets are a weak spot on these. The SBC engines run hotter on one side than the other and it eventually leads to gasket failure. The intake isn't a big job, but head gasket is kind of a bummer. The original Dexcool that came with engine had issues if you left it in there. The new stuff has an improved HOAT formula which is actually pretty good and lasts a very long time as long as you stick to the 5yr replacement interval. I have it in my new GMC and no issues.

To give you frame of reference, I bought my AWD van with 107k miles, when it was about 8 yrs old, for around $4,500 USD. $6k+ sounds pretty steep to me. It's not a huge issue for you lucky yanks, but it is a gas guzzler.

Good luck.

Topic author
sc-surfer
I am smitten with my van

Post by sc-surfer »

I'm going to look at a 2000 with 147K on it. Gutted from the dash back (which works for me). Transmission only engages 1st and 2nd (and reverse) but won't shift higher. While I'm willing to put a new rebuild in it, wondering if this is a common or know problem that might be solved without a complete rebuild.

Thanks as always!

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Disclaimer: I'm not a transmission expert.

Kind of sounds like a bad solenoid which isn't a big deal, and maybe you'll get lucky and you'll fix it and it'll go for another 5 or 10,000 mi. But here's the thing. It could be a sign of things to come. You don't know what this van's been through. You don't know if this tranny has been pulling yachts its whole life or whatever. (or do you? Did you get a full service history?). You don't really know the condition until you open the thing up. Did you check the fluid?

When you go to the trouble of getting a tranny out and it's sitting on the bench with that many miles, you overhaul it, or get a rebuild. You don't put it back in with used components.

I hope you aren't paying more than a few thousand because it's going to be a money pit in my opinion.

Topic author
sc-surfer
I am smitten with my van

Post by sc-surfer »

IF I do pick it up...no, it's not pricy. $1000 with a brand new set of Corbeau seats included. Plenty of budget left for rebuild. The 'low' miles on the motor and straight body are the big selling points. Definitely will have the tranny gone through but would love to have it drivable for a bit while I work on other stuff. Definitely will not be going to Baja until it's rebuilt and has some test miles on it. Pretty much plan on doing intake/gaskets right away too.

It 'seems' like a good deal to me...but then I came from a VY syncro where EVERYTHING costs a fortune. Talk me out of this van if it's not a good deal.

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

It might be a good deal. It might not. It's a crap-shoot.

It also depends on you. If you're hard up on cash, and you can install a transmission yourself then maybe it's worth it. Personally I wouldn't touch anything with a broken engine or transmission. It's not worth my time. I'll would rather go to work for another month to save enough for something in good condition.

As least compression test the engine to get an idea of what you're dealing with before you buy it. Otherwise you could just be ending up with a heap of crap that needs another $6k to get it running.

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Any used vehicle is a crap shoot. I paid premium price for my 99 and drove it home. The next morning it wouldn’t start. She tested my patience for over a year and when she finally figured out that my patience and to a lesser extent my wallet were inexhaustible, she became a dutiful daily driver. That was ten yrs ago and she’s still running strong. Road cancer has eaten her to the bone so it’s time to move on but the moral of the story is this...
If you have the time and the money you can fix anything. Parts for these vans are plentiful and reasonably priced. If you have something else to drive while getting your van to where you want it mechanically then pull the trigger. When you’re done you will know it inside and out and you will have made it yours. Corrosion is the killer with these unibodies so pay close attention. Products like Black star rust converter or POR will keep you from having to throw away a mechanically sound vehicle
Captn. Crunch
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT

Topic author
sc-surfer
I am smitten with my van

Post by sc-surfer »

All good and all true. Still looking but will find 'the one' for me.

Thanks

okie1
I sleep in my van

Post by okie1 »

Took me over 3 years to get the one I wanted, was worth the wait, that was almost 8 years ago & still happy with my choice. :cheers: :cheers:

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Me too. It took a couple of years until I found my Savana, with 30k and the configuration I wanted. I'm happy I did.