Stuck rear hatch

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Snowgeek
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Stuck rear hatch

Post by Snowgeek »

I am in a similar spot...... occasionally mine won’t work.... however it has for the last 2 years. I made a flap from the plastic surround so that I could get to it when it acts up.

I haven’t ever come up with why it happens.... sure is frustrating when you don’t have a work around.

Let me know what you come up with.

Ryan
2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here

WE7X
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Stuck rear hatch

Post by WE7X »

I finally found the 'Round-Tuit' needed, in conjunction with a day of fair weather.
I opened up the back hatch and removed the hatch inner panel, wiper assembly and bush-button/lock switch.
Having a 'spare' switch assembly in hand, from a Pick-A-Part, I suddenly realized the donor lock was going to have a different key, than mine. So, I carefully removed the key lock portion form the electrical section (I would strongly suggest looking carefully at the four little latching tabs, that hold the plastic switch on the metal lock housing. One is slightly narrower than the other three, and identifies the orientation that it MUST go back together)
Mine came apart easily, and the original lock assembly attached back onto the donor electrical portion with no problem.
The switch assembly on the 1998, uses a four wire connector. The Orange and Purple are the two wires which are connected together by the push button is operation.
Several times I have been inside the van, and wanted the back hatch to open, but there was no way to do that from the inside. So installed a small pushbutton switch on the interior trim panel, just above the left bolt of the interior pull handle for the hatch. This added (Normally Off) pushbutton, on the interior panel of the back hatch, is wired to the two (Orange and Purple) wires mentioned earlier. When the added pushbutton is operated, the hatch solenoid is operated and the hatch is released ( just like the exterior pushbutton) and the hatch can easily be pushed open from the inside ( assuming your gas struts are still functional)
WE7X aka Rod Johnson
Forest Green Metallic '98 LS AWD
Issaquah, WA