Problem with wiring in LED brake lights on my camper

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Problem with wiring in LED brake lights on my camper

Post by skippy »

I have an older popup camper that i'm hooking up new LED brake lights on the back for brighter lighting . I'm using a 4 pin connector from the van & with the old lights everything worked but just not bright enough for me . the weird thing is ... i cannot get the brake lights to work . everything else works as should ... right & left directionals , running lights . but no brake lights & when i have the running lights on & you step on the brakes ... even the running lights go out ...WTF !!! i tested the voltage at the back of the van on all 4 pins . the brown lead (running lights ) gives me 12 volts , the yellow & green leads (right & left directionals &brake lights )these give me 12 volts when the directionals are on ... but when i step on the brakes these 2 leads drop to .50 volts ... actually all 3 leads , brown , yellow & green all give me that same .50 volts . i'm thinking this is where my problem is but can't figure out what the problem is .

the yellow & green leads are for directionals & brake lights from everything i've read but i can't find what the voltage should be when the brakes are on . i'm assuming it should be 12volts but who knows . i've checked all my connections & they seem fine & like i said ... when the old lights were hooked up ... i had no problems . i was wondering if something else is needed in the line cuz of the LEDs .

anyone have any ideas ?????

just went back out with a test bulb & tested my 4 pin on the van again ... i get a light on all three leads ... it lights on the brown lead when the headlights are turned on . i get a flashing light on both the yellow & green leads . but when i try for brake lights on the green & yellow i get nothing ..... unless the directionals are on then i can see the light brighten when the brakes are pressed ... but turn the directional off & nothing ! but i do get a brake light from the brown lead .... which is right cuz the normal bulb has 2 elements & both elements light up when you step on the brakes . but i get nothing from the yellow or green leads ... like i should ... unless the directionals are on .

somethings messed up here & now i know why my brake lights weren't as bright as they should have been ... i was only getting brake lights from the one element in the bulb instead of both .

any clues as to where i would start to fix this ???
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Problem with wiring in LED brake lights on my camper

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Not exactly sure where to begin except for starting with the ground. Make sure it is good, maybe even use a temporary jumper. When the brake and/or signals are on only the bigger filament should be on not both filaments. On the LED's I am not sure as I am not familiar with LED trailer lights. Most trailer lighting issues result from poor grounds though.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Thanx Dean ... i'll check that today . does anybody know exactly where in the harness the trailer wiring is spliced in ? my vans rear lights are working as should but the trailer wiring harness seems to be where the problem lies . i would rather not pull the back of the van apart if someone knows where that splice is . thanx Dean & everybody .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

What van are you running? If it's a 96 or newer the splice is in the jack compartment on the right rear corner. If it's the 95 conversion I sold you, there are splices on both sides near the tail lights.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Thanx Dean .... its a 97 . the 95's tranny went again ... & with 325K on the clock & with rust starting to take its toll ..... she sadly got parted out . she did give me & a buddy of mine a good long run . Freakin van ran like a top till the day it got towed off & probably still running :)

DAILY THOUGHT:

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Yup you were right Dean .... bad ground . luckily there was another larger gauge ground in the harness so i just used that one .

DAILY THOUGHT:

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Awesome! :cheers: Too bad about the 95...that was the 2nd favorite van of mine. That thing ran like a raped ape until the end. Loved the way it shifted, rode and would chirp 'em going into 2nd! :muhaha:
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned: