Anyone use air adjustable shocks?

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Anyone use air adjustable shocks?

Post by T.Low »

The Scotsquatch wrote:So...forgive me if I just don't know all the lingo yet...lol. What is a Timbren?

And also...all FOUR of your shocks are adjustable from the dash? And if so, how much was the total that it set you back, and does your Rancho guy make them for stock vans with no lift?

Thanks guys! This forum rocks!

Kev

Looking at the email quote from Overlandvans Dan, the shocks were $372, the Dash kit an additional $137 (please don't do the math in front of me, I don't want to know!).

I may have gotten stock length shocks (Overlandvans Dan sent me the shock relocation brackets so I could move the brackets to the backside of the axle for more ground clearence) I'm not sure. Dan may know.

The red button on the dash kit pumps air into all four shocks at once. Then there are two black buttons to let air out to soften the shock: one for the front two shocks, and a second button for the rear two shocks, each with its own gauge.

Note: these do not raise and lowere the height of the truck like traditional "air shocks" do, rather they just adjust the ride stiffness.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

T.Low wrote:
Cobra wrote:i have that same stuff on the way to me was planning to mount the controls higher tho

It was installed during the course of a complete lift kit install :rolleyes: , so we chose "timing" over "creativity", (Bro In Law:"Hey, crawl out from under there and tell me where you want this mounted...here, here, here, or here?"...Me:"Go with that spot there". Bro In Law: "No, its already 4:30, that'll take too long". Me:"Where do you want to put it?". Bro In Law:"Here". Me:"I like it, put it there")... and it worked out well. I would be interested to see your mounting spot. Always curious about dash mods.

I plan to take out the ashtray and the ashtray mount hardware, install a small lip on the outter edge, and some felt, and use the cubby as a spot for my cell phone.

Cheers
i wanna mount it above my windshield with a couple other things but... i know nothing about fiber glass so it's going to be a hell of a learning experience....
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

Post by The Scotsquatch »

Thanks guys! Our van needs new shocks front and rear anyway, so I'll probably get stock shocks for the front, but I'm still deciding between the 2000 lb Timbrens, or the air shocks for the rear...either way, you guys are great! Thanks!

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

If you need new shocks and spend money on Timbren thingies, you STILL need new shocks....
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Hey do you guys hit Bristol Renaissance Faire in WI? My family tries to go at least once every year.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

Yes we do Bristol! If you guys happened to be there this past year, it was our first year there! We are way out by the joust field, hidden by the military encampment, where Starfire Swords used to be...we love that faire!

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

Yes HPStan...I'll be replacing the rear shocks no matter what, but I'm still debating between Timbrens or the air shocks...Overland has some nice Rancho shocks, very affordable for all 4 of them, so I might get them and then get the Timbrens...I'm still debating.

I might also get the 2 inch lift from Overland, since its only 140 bucks! Then I could use 235-70-R15s with NO rubbing, or maybe even the 235-75s...hmmmmmmm...Anyone ever do their lift before? My van is a Florida van, so there isn't any rust on the bolts, but how long does it take? Is it something that can be done in an afternoon? Since its a body lift in the front and a shackle lift in the back, it doesn't look like it will alter the steering geometry AT ALL, which makes me want to do it! Any comments or wisdom of experience?

And Overland makes a VERY cool roof basket...I talked to the owner today, and we are talking about a custom one, shipped in peices (to keep cost down) that I would weld together myself and then finish myself, since I'm going with heavy duty contractor racks instead of the stock racks...I'll let you all know if we decide to go that way

Thanks again guys!

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Missed it last year, spent a bunch of money on Mickeyworld instead. I'll be looking for you this year.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

Let me know, Aaron! I'll get you some free tickets!

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Well that seals it, we are definitely going this year and I'm going to make sure the Astro takes us there. Been using my wifes Jeep for most running about.
Aaron

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

I also have rear air shocks by Monroe, or maybe KYB, anyway they do work well. I mounted the schrader fill valve on part of the trailer hitch bracket.

the front and rear Ranchos sound interesting. My AWD 2003 astro is stock height for now. I may get 2 inch overland lift. will the ranchos work to raise a stock AWD astro? The AWD shock clearance up front is kinda tight.

Astrophysics

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

I recommend KYB gas-adjust (white ones) for the front and Gabriel Adjustable Hi-Jackers on the rear a great combination for towing and preventing your rear end from sagging......
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

Yay! I finished the install on my rear shocks today...Monroe Air-Maxx or something like that...adjustable with a schrader valve. And they work great! Even before I added any air pressure to the system, the rear ride height was higher than it was with the old shocks! At 90 psi, it rides very high but with a stiff ride...and 50 psi, it still rides much higher than stock, and has a nice cushy ride.

I'll be doing the front shocks with new coil springs in the morning...I was going to do them today, but my coil spring compressor turned up missing, and none of my friends down here have one...guess I'll have to rent one in the morning!

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

I tried to replace the front coil springs. I had the front end dissassembled, had one coil spring out with a rented spring compressor...and then opened the box I got from NAPA...they were the wrong springs! The part number on the box was right, but the springs in the box had a smaller ID than the originals, were a smaller diameter, and even shorter than mine! The good thing is now I know the springs are OK...unloaded my springs are 15.5 inches...which is what the new ones were supposed to be.

So, a hand injury from a loaded spring THWACKING me with the lower control arm, a whole day wasted in the hot Florida sun, and nothing but a broken lug stud to show for it...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

I guess I'll bring back the cheap NAPA shocks too, and order some heavy duty ones...maybe Ranchos.

I couldn't even install the shocks, since two lower bolts broke, and the hardware stores were closed by the time I had the front end reassembled...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR again!

An Overland front end body lift spacer kit is looking better and better!

BUT!!! On the lighter side, the positive side, Brian's "Bright Side of Life"...lmao (gotta love Monty Python!)...I DID discover that my Astro has all new brake rotors, new pads, new calipers, new rear drums, new shoes and hardware, and all new brake lines. Some previous owner did all the brake work not very long ago! They did bypass the ABS system, so it has standard brakes, but its all good to me! I don't like ABS anyway!

Where the heck is the torsion bar adjusters on this thing? From all my reading, I thought even the 2WD versions had front torsion bars...is it just the 4WD versions that have torsion bars?

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

If you could send some of your extra "hot Florida sun" to southern Wisconsin, we could sure use it. It is supposed to snow again this weekend,,,,, MERCY !!!
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....