Anyone use air adjustable shocks?

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

Re: Anyone use air adjustable shocks?

Post by The Scotsquatch »

LOL! I'm Scottish and now sunburned to heck...be careful what you wish for!

When we do the Bristol Renaissance Faire in Kenosha, WI, while the weather isn't too hot, the mosquitos might as well be B-15's on crack...so count your blessings...lmao.

At least you don't have to deal with killer mosquitos up there when its snowing!...never mind the sweat, sunburn, and fireants!

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

Jersey John
I am smitten with my van

Post by Jersey John »

Just the AWD have torsion bars.
95 GMC Safari SLX "Mr. Cooper" (as my kids call it)

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Since you have coil springs up front you don't have torsion bars. The torsion bars are only on the AWD's.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

The Scotsquatch wrote:
I might also get the 2 inch lift from Overland, since its only 140 bucks! Then I could use 235-70-R15s with NO rubbing, or maybe even the 235-75s...hmmmmmmm...Anyone ever do their lift before? My van is a Florida van, so there isn't any rust on the bolts, but how long does it take? Is it something that can be done in an afternoon? Since its a body lift in the front and a shackle lift in the back, it doesn't look like it will alter the steering geometry AT ALL, which makes me want to do it! Any comments or wisdom of experience?

Kev
I did the 5" lift which took me a good part of 2-3 days, the Front 3" HD springs took the most time, The body lift maybe took 3-4 hrs including taking care of the front. If you get rear blocks or an add a leaf, that is maybe a 2-3 hour job so figure a day for it all if you take your time. If you get a hair and decide to do a 5", get the Overlands 1 1/2" front spring and 3" blocks...those HD 3" front springs are murder to get compressed and installed, very dangerous and scary, not to mention jar your teeth out!!!!

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

The rear shocks work great, with a smooth ride at around 40 psi, and it jacks WAY up at 90 psi for loading it down....very cool!

I got the front end reassembled with new stock shocks, and it did lift the front back to what I would say was stock...with a tape measure, it looks like I'll be able to install 235-70-R15s after all! Getting the front stock coil spring back in was a pain in the arse though! I figured I'd just reinstall them for now, since their unloaded height was 15.5 inches, which is what the OEM height was when new.

I know that standard shocks don't give you any lift, but my old shocks were so toasted, that with the new shocks, the van sits level now.

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

HeresPaco
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by HeresPaco »

I'm using Air-Lift air bags in the rear my '01 Safari. A HUGE necessity! They mount between the spring and the frame. They let me load the van up and also tow a camper or trailer at the same time.
Finger Lakes, NY
'01 Safari SLT Awd
'99 GMC Suburban LT
just call me "R/T"

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

I have stared at those Timber SES many times >.< More money. Man this thread wont help.

I do slightly regret not doing what T.Low did - those R9000 look nice and the adjustable ride is AWESOME! I am running with the R5000. The tabs I have but have not welded yet. It is for better ground clearance as well for folks not wanting to change the shocks from factory length but going to 4" lift they can use the tabs to push it back up.

Scotsquatch the 2" overlandvan lift is easy to put in. I started with that. You might want to think it over - I dont know what you plan to do with your ride but I eat my own words "it will be enough" grrrr ... wish I went straight to 4" lift LOL.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

Hey Phr,

Ours is a 2WD shorty that we use for our business at Renaissance Faires, and we tow it behind our motorhome, loaded up like a utility trailer, when we travel from faire to faire. I don't want a lift, per se, just room enough to fit 235-70-R15 dual purpose truck tires, both for load capacity, and for traction on some of the bad dirt roads that renfaires almost always seem to be on...lol. The back is all set now...with the adjustable shocks, there is more than enough room for the tires. With the new Monroe shocks in the front, unloaded there seems to be enough room. But at full lock, especially with the van loaded up, it worries me.

I was also looking at the Rancho R9000s. Seems to me that if the clearance is fine empty, but loaded they rub a bit a full lock over bumps, then with the R9000s, I could stiffen the ride when the van is loaded up, but soften it when the van is empty. That is going to be my next step if I have any clearance issues once the van is loaded up. I figure it won't be a waste of money, because even if I have to go with the lift later, the shocks will still work with the lift, and I can still tweak the ride under load, or with no load.

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Yah sounds like a plan! You might want to double check some numbers, see if the shocks for "stock" height can go with 2" lifts that way if it still rubs underload you can pick up the body spaces (1" - 2") and put them in and still be able to keep your R9000s.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

According to Overland, since a body lift doesn't affect the travel of the A arms, it doesn't really matter if I lift the body later: The shocks will still fit.

Thanks!

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

Great attention to detail, Phr!

I talked directly to the owner of Overland, and he explained to my somewhat mechanically-challenged self that when you lift the body, the suspension stays where it is unaltered...under the body. Its when you do extreme lifts with new steering/brake knuckles and new rear shackles and whatnot that you have to custom fit shocks.

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!