Anyone use air adjustable shocks?

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

Anyone use air adjustable shocks?

Post by The Scotsquatch »

Hey guys. Anyone ever use air adjustable shocks on their Astro? We have a 91 Astro, and we load it down with our whole workshop when we tow it behind our RV...but we want a nice soft ride when we aren't using it as a trailer...so we don't want to lift it or add a leaf spring or anything...and airbags seem really expensive. Anyone ever use the adjustable air shocks, and if so, what brand is good?

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Re: Anyone use air adjustable shocks?

Post by Rebel »

Check with Darren(SoCalliV8) think he may still be running air shocks.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

On my Tx / Cali trip pulling a trailer with the tongue weight from hell the LS1 'Stro just kept getting lower in back so I stopped at an Auto shop and had Monroe air shocks installed. Totally solved the problem and it rides normally when not loaded. I see them on eBay for around $50 but it cost me $300 on the trip. Still worth it as it solved our problem.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Cheaper option might be to go with some Timbrens, nothing to leak.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

I installed the Rancho 9000s adjustable with indash remote with my 4-5" lift kit a week and a half ago. I only had the van for a month before making the change and really didn't put too many miles on it with stock suspension.

Observations so far:

Price: I bought the lift kit from Overlandvan Dan. http://www.overlandvans.com . He is a Rancho shock dealer so I didn't care to price them elsewhere, I want to give him my business since he is the one building Astro lift kits. $93 a shock, plus $135 for the remote, wich includes the air compressor, all fittings, hoses and remote guage, and one million little black zip tie fasteners.

Install: Not too bad. There was really only one spot that made sense to me for the mounting of the little aircompressor; in the motor compartment between the radiator and the battery. Not too many options for the remote mounting either. I'm happy with my choice to put it at the bottom of the center console. Its out of the way, easy to read and to reach, and I think it actually looks good. Wired it so that it automatically lights up with the key, but not draining power when key is off.

Performance: So far so good. The button in the dash remote turns on the compressor, the air turns the valves to adjust the shock stiffness. You can then seperately let some out of the front or rear pairs individually to adjust the ride. Front can be softer and back stiffer if towing, etc. I have only taken the van off roading twice since install, but I can notice a big difference in the adjustment. Haven't towed anything yet, so I cannot coment firsthand on towing.

Overall: I am glad I did it. I like the performance, as well as the novelty of the interior adjustment. I've already forgotten about the extra money, but I am still enjoying the shocks.
guage placement.jpg
guage placement.jpg (48.01 KiB) Viewed 9099 times
rancho gauge.jpg
rancho gauge.jpg (56.22 KiB) Viewed 9105 times
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i have that same stuff on the way to me was planning to mount the controls higher tho
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Cobra wrote:i have that same stuff on the way to me was planning to mount the controls higher tho

It was installed during the course of a complete lift kit install :rolleyes: , so we chose "timing" over "creativity", (Bro In Law:"Hey, crawl out from under there and tell me where you want this mounted...here, here, here, or here?"...Me:"Go with that spot there". Bro In Law: "No, its already 4:30, that'll take too long". Me:"Where do you want to put it?". Bro In Law:"Here". Me:"I like it, put it there")... and it worked out well. I would be interested to see your mounting spot. Always curious about dash mods.

I plan to take out the ashtray and the ashtray mount hardware, install a small lip on the outter edge, and some felt, and use the cubby as a spot for my cell phone.

Cheers
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
The Scotsquatch
I am smitten with my van

Post by The Scotsquatch »

So...forgive me if I just don't know all the lingo yet...lol. What is a Timbren?

And also...all FOUR of your shocks are adjustable from the dash? And if so, how much was the total that it set you back, and does your Rancho guy make them for stock vans with no lift?

Thanks guys! This forum rocks!

Kev
Kevin Smith

Siege The Day!

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Freakin' right it does. Mostly 'cause of me, but there "may" be a few other members who's participation is as crucial as mine :muhaha: :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

holy smokes, who could that be ?????????????
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Timbren is a brand of rubber springs that mount in place of the van's bump stops. There are two types available for Astro/Safaris. The 2000 lbs version is designed not to effect the vehicle's unloaded ride as they sit with about 3/4" away from the body unloaded. The 6000 lbs version is in constant contact with the body. Both versions will set you back about $180, but the are quite easy to install and require nothing to power or charge them.

This animation is upside down compared to the A/S version. On our vans it mounts to the axle.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump

tim k
I am smitten with my van

Post by tim k »

I installed the monroe air shocks they were around $60 and it brought my van from around 12 inches of clearence to 17 inches under full load and I keep a lot of weight in my 96 cargo van the ride diffrence isnt too noticable and the install was fairly simple the hard part was trying to find a place to install the air valve
86 safari
96 astro cargo van
97 silverado (new toy)
01 awd safari

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Ebay Motors
Item # 300093532255
$54.00
Not sure how $180 for a couple rubber pads is cheaper but this "new math" has always escaped me.
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I installed the Monroes also. I put the fill valve inside the gas filler door. I carry around 800-900 lbs all of the time. The air shocks solved the sagging rear problem and there's no noticeable difference in the ride or handling. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

HPbyStan wrote:Ebay Motors
Item # 300093532255
$54.00
Not sure how $180 for a couple rubber pads is cheaper but this "new math" has always escaped me.
Ebay: MA758 Air Shocks Chevrolet GMC Astro Safari Mini Van

OK, I'll give you that.

$54.99 Buy It Now
$16.78 Shipping
=====
$71.77 Total

Is there anything else needed?

From Monroe's website: A pair of Max Air shock absorbers can maintain ride height when up to 1,200 lbs of additional weight is loaded.
Aaron