V8 swap to begin second week of July.

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

V8 swap to begin second week of July.

Post by markmitchinnh »

I will be doing my V8 swap sometime around the second week of July. I have to paint my wife car first. I am also waiting for a few parts I ordered to come in. I will take pictures as I do the swap.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Re: V8 swap to begin second week of July.

Post by markmitchinnh »

started it early, worked for 3 hours yesterday.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I will add a few more pics later today, seems when your van has front & rear heat and ac you may run into a few more snags as I have. The bracket for the sensors and such that sat on the pass side on intake manifold didn't fit so I welded a piece of steel to it and cut and grind-ed and drilled till it did fit. Then the fuel lines didn't fit so I installed a set of braided steel lines from a truck. Still to do: trans-lines, torque converter to fly wheel bolts, starter, drive shaft, exhaust, get to TDC and install distributor. I have to wait till the first to order the catalytic converter and a few smaller parts for exhaust. Oh and I have to attempt to cut the fan shroud too. Wish me luck!

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

SO I got the engine all in and trans but ran into some problems so I took the timing chain off, pulled the distributor and started all over again. I re-adjusted the rockers, too then went to start it and the battery was dead LOL figure. SO its suppose to rain the next two days so I will charge the battery while it rains.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Mark.Did you adjust the rockers with the timing chain off??. The only way to pre-load the lifters is to have both the intake and exhaust on the null side of the cam.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I actually had them adjusted wrong now they are all slightly loose. I will adjust them according to the manual for an 85 350 because thats what the heads came off of.