Phantom Rebel V8 Swap

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
AquaAngel
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Phantom Rebel V8 Swap

Post by AquaAngel »

Smiliesafari wrote:Just watched the vid. Very well done. Sounds great. Congrats. :supz:
Cheers :cheers:
thank you :D More to come later on my digital dash conversion
93 Astro Van army blue [V8/350/5.7L]
------------

Chevy owned:
93 Astro cargo Van "Phantom Rebel"
98 GMC Safari AWD
09 GMC C5500 6.6L, Duramax "3 ton truck"

Topic author
AquaAngel

Post by AquaAngel »

Almost a year now that the van has hit the road and it has not seen any tow truck yet! Really proud of this.
Still some minor little things that needs to be worked on and i'm currently working on it. In the mean time. Here is a recent pics of DA BEAST...
Attachments
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG
------------

Chevy owned:
98 GMC Safari AWD

Ballenxj
I am smitten with my van

Post by Ballenxj »

Yup, That is one sweet van. :cheers:

Topic author
AquaAngel

Post by AquaAngel »

Ballenxj wrote:Yup, That is one sweet van. :cheers:
Thank you my friend :cheers:
------------

Chevy owned:
98 GMC Safari AWD

Topic author
AquaAngel

Post by AquaAngel »

After such a good ride and all? i have decided to give my toy a new intake manifold.
Happy birthday Phantom Rebel.

it has been some time since i posted here, but i finally got my tranny rebuild for a v8 powered motor. feels much better

Ya, this a Holley street dominator intake manifold. Can't wait to install that bad boy.

that and many other thing like 50" LED bar? and more LED lights "Spot and drive" from Rigid.

More news on my facebook page :D
Attachments
new intake manifold
new intake manifold
------------

Chevy owned:
98 GMC Safari AWD

Topic author
AquaAngel

Post by AquaAngel »

New intake manifold is installed and got it out of the shop for the final timing work on it. I'm finally done with the mechanical part of it anyway, also installed my new set of LED lights.

OH and forgot to mention that i finally got to the bottom of my running rich problem.
Remember the AirAid from PowerAir? well, it was the problem. i put another Aluminum Spacer with no tornado design "polished bore" and the van no longer runs rich. it was the adapter since day one. :rolleyes:
Attachments
Love the 50" LED bar
Love the 50" LED bar
YA Baby
YA Baby
IMG_0837.JPG
IMG_0835.JPG
IMG_0832.JPG
------------

Chevy owned:
98 GMC Safari AWD

Topic author
AquaAngel

Post by AquaAngel »

K i think i may have found some issues with the van. the SES light is not on, but i put a paper clip on my obd1 and i have a code 32 "EGR" and 42 for EST. EGR i know already as Lordco gave my a intake manifold gasket where the EGR is blocked off, but the code 42 is the one that keeps fucking up my van. need some help to fix this
------------

Chevy owned:
98 GMC Safari AWD

AstroWill

Post by AstroWill »

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

I really don't know but snooping around the search engines this seemed like it may be helpful. Good Luck!
http://www.answers.com/Q/GM_Scanner_fou ... you_fix_it
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Topic author
AquaAngel

Post by AquaAngel »

WoodButcher wrote:I really don't know but snooping around the search engines this seemed like it may be helpful. Good Luck!
http://www.answers.com/Q/GM_Scanner_fou ... you_fix_it
Good stuff, will definitely read deeper and get to the bottom of this

Thank you :cheers:
------------

Chevy owned:
98 GMC Safari AWD

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Anytime.
It looked like something worth chasing down. I get pissed when people tell you to "google it". Sometimes we don't have the right search terms in our head when we sit at the PC, or we overlook a possible fix because we're chasing another rabbit. It sucks to be the guy who bags the rabbit on a fox hunt...
Do you have the FSM for both the van and the vehicle the motor came from? With my '93 adventure I saved the VIN from my donor and bought both FS manuals, the Safari and the one for the donor G20.

When I finished the swap she fired right off, once and not again. In the donors FSM I found info that led to the dizzy, I bumped it on the way out of the donor and didn't know I had done damage, because she fired once I didn't think about it again. The manuals trouble shooting page had me test the coil on the dizzy, ignition module maybe? I don't recall the name but part of the dist in any case. Did the tests and replaced the dizzy all was right with the world. Well worth the investment for that manual.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Topic author
AquaAngel

Post by AquaAngel »

WoodButcher wrote:Anytime.
It looked like something worth chasing down. I get pissed when people tell you to "google it". Sometimes we don't have the right search terms in our head when we sit at the PC, or we overlook a possible fix because we're chasing another rabbit. It sucks to be the guy who bags the rabbit on a fox hunt...
Do you have the FSM for both the van and the vehicle the motor came from? With my '93 adventure I saved the VIN from my donor and bought both FS manuals, the Safari and the one for the donor G20.

When I finished the swap she fired right off, once and not again. In the donors FSM I found info that led to the dizzy, I bumped it on the way out of the donor and didn't know I had done damage, because she fired once I didn't think about it again. The manuals trouble shooting page had me test the coil on the dizzy, ignition module maybe? I don't recall the name but part of the dist in any case. Did the tests and replaced the dizzy all was right with the world. Well worth the investment for that manual.
I have googled it several times and trying to figure out why my project ran like crap as it does run rich and when i try to step on the gas, well it bugg down until it almost back fire then it kicks in. when cold it stalls at the stop sign or red light, so that is very irritating and need that fixed.

I have replaced everything on that van, new sensors, new ignition, well everything, not saying that new stuff don't fail, but again, will chase down the wires before i can conclude that it is a Hardware problem. i think it is wiring as i had to extend the wire for the temperature sensor as the V6 was on the passenger side, with the V8? it is now on the driver side, so i had to extend that wire, it may be the source of my problem. [-o<
------------

Chevy owned:
98 GMC Safari AWD

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I notice you have mentioned a few times that it runs rich and youve tried to lean it out but it still runs rich.
What Size injectors are you running? they come in different flow rates.
Have you played around with your TBI unit at all, or tried any other injectors?

My thinking that a rich exhaust, and NO egr valve is gonna drive the computer nuts trying deal with all the excess fuel and soot , and the EGR thats supposed to do that is missing so it cant. If you got it running NOT SO rich, it may help a lot in fixing the bog and stall problem.

When My EGR valve was Plugged up, it would stall when going slow in parking lots or at stop lights and I had to work the gas pedal just right, to get it up to speed without bogging etc. After I replaced my EGR valve it was fixed. Your EGR is not there anymore which lots of guys have also done.
Anyways, I dont know that this is your issue, but My maybe 1 Problem could be that your engine is running quite rich, and the computer wants to fix that but cant without the EGR valve, so you might try to get it running way leaner?

And definitely be sure any spliced sensor wire is in good condition.
BTW, Your issue sounds just like this poor fellow in a separate thread...

You 2 should get together on a cure for this !
http://astrosafarivans.org/bb2/viewtopi ... 51&t=10165
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
AquaAngel

Post by AquaAngel »

i did mentioned that it has run rich, but this thing has been acting up wether the egr was blocked or not.

Another thing that i'm wondering is ...... does it matter where the Knock sensor is positioned? as mine has to be on the driver side a little under the headers pointing down? silly question, but i rather ask.

Could my new MSD ignition coil be failing as it is kind of new, but i have heard some bad feed back about it
------------

Chevy owned:
98 GMC Safari AWD

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

My knock sensor is fine, same place.