Insurance with V8

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Insurance with V8

Post by sfeaver »

Those of you in Ontario who have put in a V8, what did your insurance company say? I havent gotten a word back from mine yet, but wondered if anyone had already crossed that bridge. Did they increase your rates, not care, or say no insurance if you do it?

Thanks,
Scott

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Insurance with V8

Post by astroturf »

I would not tell them.

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

astroturf wrote:I would not tell them.
:withstupid:

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

rlsllc wrote:
astroturf wrote:I would not tell them.
:withstupid:
+1
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

I don't know of anyone on this site in Ontario with a v8, so since you are waiting to hear back from them and thus ( cannot go along with the popular opinion to not say anything,lol ) you're going to have to tell us what the official word is.

Let me play the devils advocate here... if you were to put a 4 cyl in the van , would you have any concern about what they might say? :cheers:

Topic author
sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

Well they say it changes the structural integrity of the van so they wont insure it anymore if i put it in.

I guess they would say the same thing about the 4-cylinder as the van didnt come like that. But the subframe is based on an old B-Body car so it certainly can handle the V8.

Looking for another company, I'm sure someone will insure it. I know people have just done it and not said anything, but I worry if something does happen then I am not covered.

Scott

Topic author
sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

I wonder if I had put in a wheel chair lift if they would have said the same thing. That would bolt into the structure of the van, and change the structure. Or one of those hi-tops that always leak and change the structure.

Sounds like an excuse to me really.. I know they will try to get out of paying anyways even if the van was brand new and stock.

Scott

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

sfeaver wrote:Sounds like an excuse to me really.. I know they will try to get out of paying anyways even if the van was brand new and stock.

Scott
Exactly, they don't know jack about maintaining integrity in their own industry, nevermind what constitutes a lack of structural integrity in a van, like you said just an excuse.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I wouldn't say anything to them. If they tried to deny a claim, I'd sue them. Of course it would depend on why a claim was being made. Obviously if they can prove the engine swap contributed, then they are right to deny. But I would bet most claims that a person would have would be unrelated.

And if you do a factory-clean swap, I'd bet an adjuster would never even figure it out... The way the engine is tucked in these vans, you pretty much have to broadcast you did a V-8 swap for anyone to know based on visual inspection.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

well that is interesting i want to do a v8 swap and intended to get it appraised and insured for correct value when you find an insurance company that is willing, let us know who and how much
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

mdmead wrote:I wouldn't say anything to them. If they tried to deny a claim, I'd sue them. Of course it would depend on why a claim was being made. Obviously if they can prove the engine swap contributed, then they are right to deny. But I would bet most claims that a person would have would be unrelated.

And if you do a factory-clean swap, I'd bet an adjuster would never even figure it out... The way the engine is tucked in these vans, you pretty much have to broadcast you did a V-8 swap for anyone to know based on visual inspection.
I agree with the others and Matt--I don't see a need to tell them. I've even had one know-it-all who stated there was no way I could've put a V8 in my Astro; to him, it wasn't possible. Opening the hood would have done no good, I would have had to yank the engine cover off and show him the distributor and it wasn't important to me to have him believe.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

astrovan98
I am smitten with my van

Post by astrovan98 »

Well....for those of you who are not aware of anyone in Ontario with a V8 Astro, mine has a 2005 Silverado 5.3 LS series engine. It was a very sucessful project that has been more dependable than a new vehicle, and is 10 times the fun.
Regarding insurance, my agent told me that it did not matter what engine it has, because an engine is an engine. It used to be an issue back in the day, but that doesn't matter these days. If you recall, our vehicle ownerships used to define number of cylinders, but they don't anymore. Perhaps it's because of all the technology that has given smaller engines the power of some V8's.

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

I stand corrected... Have you got that Photobucket account yet? I'm sure there would be plenty of members interested in how this conversion went along, the most I could find was this info you supplied in a previous post awhile back...

"I haven't set up a Photobucket account yet, but I'll get to it soon. Here's some details of the swap.
2005 Silverado 5.3L LM7 truck engine with original PCM and full engine harness, LS 4L60E transmission, 2005 Tahoe exhaust pipe w/cats and custom fabricated balance of exhaust with Magnaflow 2005 Silverado 5.3L spec muffler and 3 " pipes.
Truck uses ALL emissions equipment and dianostic port for easy troubleshooting and repairs,

Hand fabricated engine mount adapter plates, standard transmission mount in original location, custom fabricated trans crossmember (to accomodate cross pipe for exhaust), factory 5.3L exhaust manifolds, modified 2005 Tahoe exhaust pipe with twin cats and all four O2 sensors, fabricated 3" exhaust with Magnaflow muffler, all original style exhaust hangers in all Astro original locations to support system, new 4L60E transmission for LS series engines, electronic throttle and throttle control module (my year truck and PCM needed them, but they work fine), factory spark plug wires, slightly relocated coil modules (still on rocker covers), original Astro A/C system located in original factory left hand top location, Additional relay circuit to operate factory A/C compressor clutch relay, relocated alternator to right hand mid top location, fabricated alternator mount system with additional idler wheel and manual tensioner (spring belt tensioner removed, no problems with belt tension), recored (thicker) radiator modified with throttle body vent tube in correct rad location, custom 4" intake arrangement, modified fan shroud utilizing original thermostatically controlled mechanical fan (no electrics here), modified underhood fuse panel to accept 6 new fuses and 2 additional relays required to operate the 5.3L engine (the panel has empty slots to accomodate the extras), modified top of doghouse to clear A/C hose, various insulated brackets to prevent spark plug wires from contacting doghouse, modified oil dipstick and tube assembly (trans and oil dipsticks in original underhood locations), Aeromotive adjustable bypass type fuel flow regulator (engine only has a feed line, no fuel return to tank), fabricated heat shields to protect underbody and other items from cat and exhaust heat, and a lot more which currently escapes me.

My truck ran for 10 years without a problem or breakdown, so the premise of my design was to duplicate as much of the factory design as possible (for the Astro and the Silverado powertrain), to give me another 10 years of troublefree operation. It cost as much as a very good used car, but it was well worth it. Started first time (after I followed the factory procedure to reprogram my VATS system). Even the VATS reprogramming was super easy, it just takes 1/2 hour to do, and 99% of that time is waiting for the PCM to do it's thing.
I am and Industrial Mechanic and Machinist by trade, so it wasn't difficult, just time consuming. With a bit of patience and time, anyone can do this swap. Buy the way, I did all this in my 20' x 30' home shop."