Newbie on the fence!

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
astrodamus
I am merely driving my van

Newbie on the fence!

Post by astrodamus »

Hello all! I have a 98 Astro cargo 4.3L, that I know will need to be pushed by 6 very soon. :cry: I've been combing the internet researching V8 swaps and what I've notice was that a majority of the swaps was done to pre-95 trucks. I ran across this site: http://www.allnitevans.com/astroproj/astropage1.html and it almost scared the V8 out of me. [-( To some up the site from "my understanding", It was going to be a nightmare of a job to swap out a post '95 engine. :toimonster: I know that it takes money to get the job done, but I don't want to end up spending new car prices in the process. Because just like 95% of the good folks on this site, I'm on a tight budget. :-k I've always wanted a V8 powered Astro, so I took the first step, I bought one only to be told that I bought the wrong year..wow! #-o Any help or direction that you all give me would be greatly appreciated!!! :prayer:

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Newbie on the fence!

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I wouldn't put any faith into the ONE write-up you posted. This guy did NO research before doing the swap. Heck, he even stated "Astro had V-belts and serpentine belts ,on some of the older models,both V belts and serpentine on the same engine, the newer ones use just one belt, a long, unwieldy, frustrating,hard to position, Serpentine belt that runs everything. I wanted to use indivdual belts,I hated the idea of depending on one belt for all my accessories, all my eggs in one basket, so to speak.". I don't know about anyone here, but in my 22 years of driving, I have NEVER seen a serpentine belt break. I have seen where an idler pulley bearing fails and the belt comes off, but never a belt to break or fail. Another issue is the right side heads on pre-87 engines not having the bolt holes for the accessories, this is common knowledge if you do the research first.

There are MANY guys on here who have done swaps and will help along the way. Will it be easy...probably not, but then again if it was easy, everyone would do it.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:I wouldn't put any faith into the ONE write-up you posted. This guy did NO research before doing the swap. Heck, he even stated "Astro had V-belts and serpentine belts ,on some of the older models,both V belts and serpentine on the same engine, the newer ones use just one belt, a long, unwieldy, frustrating,hard to position, Serpentine belt that runs everything. I wanted to use indivdual belts,I hated the idea of depending on one belt for all my accessories, all my eggs in one basket, so to speak.". I don't know about anyone here, but in my 22 years of driving, I have NEVER seen a serpentine belt break. I have seen where an idler pulley bearing fails and the belt comes off, but never a belt to break or fail. Another issue is the right side heads on pre-87 engines not having the bolt holes for the accessories, this is common knowledge if you do the research first.

There are MANY guys on here who have done swaps and will help along the way. Will it be easy...probably not, but then again if it was easy, everyone would do it.

X2 from me.You "could" buy a newer non Astro vehicle,but never have what you really want.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I've been doing custom engine swaps for more than 30 years. Here's some things to consider.
1..Do you have the skill to accomplish this project?
2..Do you have the tools necessary to do the work?
3..Do you have the space to dedicate to this project for however long it takes?
4..Do you have enough money to see this project to completion.
5..Do you have and are you willing to spend however much time is required?
6..If you are married is your wife on board?
7..Do you have a very clear vision of what you are expecting this project to accomplish?
If you can say YES to all of the above then this swap is a walk in the park. It's a very common swap. All of the problems have already been worked out. Do some searching on this site. All of the questions that you might have will have been addressed. If you can't find answers just ask. This is a very accommodating family of Astrosafarian brothers and sisters. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

6..If you are married is your wife on board?
:yawinkle:

boy Skip,,that's a must or at least "I guess it's okay" from the better half. :muhaha:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
astrodamus

Post by astrodamus »

Thanks everyone for responding! I appreciate the your time. You guys are great! :guitar: Like i said before I always wanted a V8 powered Astro and by golly I will have my cake and eat it too! :drinkers: But on the real side of things, I will start looking for a donor truck instead of just looking for an engine. I see now that this would have been one of my many mistakes in my swap process.

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

astrodamus wrote:so I took the first step, I bought one only to be told that I bought the wrong year

I personally think you bought the right year since i intend to do a V8 swap when this stupid work horse of an engine dies (might be a while) I would only do it on a 97 or 98 but that's just my opinion. The right people to ask about swaps are definitely here if they haven't done it yet they'll know where to find the information
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

Topic author
astrodamus

Post by astrodamus »

Cobra wrote:
astrodamus wrote:so I took the first step, I bought one only to be told that I bought the wrong year

I personally think you bought the right year since i intend to do a V8 swap when this stupid work horse of an engine dies (might be a while) I would only do it on a 97 or 98 but that's just my opinion. The right people to ask about swaps are definitely here if they haven't done it yet they'll know where to find the information
Thanks Cobra!

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:I wouldn't put any faith into the ONE write-up you posted. This guy did NO research before doing the swap. Heck, he even stated "Astro had V-belts and serpentine belts ,on some of the older models,both V belts and serpentine on the same engine, the newer ones use just one belt, a long, unwieldy, frustrating,hard to position, Serpentine belt that runs everything. I wanted to use indivdual belts,I hated the idea of depending on one belt for all my accessories, all my eggs in one basket, so to speak.". I don't know about anyone here, but in my 22 years of driving, I have NEVER seen a serpentine belt break. I have seen where an idler pulley bearing fails and the belt comes off, but never a belt to break or fail. Another issue is the right side heads on pre-87 engines not having the bolt holes for the accessories, this is common knowledge if you do the research first.

I have seen one break on my Safari. At work I've have 5 break in the last 2 months.... All on our 550s and 650s. Throws ya right off suddenly losing power brakes and steering all at once. But I still prefer them to v belts.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

potskie wrote: .... All on our 550s and 650s...

You mean like E60s and E63s? Where do you work, Potskie?
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles