Roots type blower in Safari Van

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
my4ateyour8
I am merely driving my van

Roots type blower in Safari Van

Post by my4ateyour8 »

I have some questions regarding the installation of a Weiand 144 or similar type roots blower on a V8 in a Safari van. Mine is a 1985 that will be converted to 4x4 soon with a V8, 700r4 and a part time transfer case. I will also be installing the front diff from a S10 so I can unlock the front end. I have most of the parts rounded up and am getting ready to start. But before I build the engine I need to make a decision. I would like to install a Weiand 144 small style blower on top and so I will need to build the engine to run well with a blower.

It looks like I will have enough room on top since I am planning a 2 inch subframe lift but I am wondering about blower drive clearance at the front of the engine behind the radiator and AC condensor. I would like to retain the factory air conditioning and the other accessories. Where would I look for the info regarding the space needed for this blower drive set up. I have made a search (not very extensive yet) for this info on the internet but have not found what I have needed. I am not asking for anyone to do my homework for me but only if one of you have already done this or knows a little about it would you please let me know what problems you may have encountered.

Thanks
BC

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Roots type blower in Safari Van

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Welcome BC.

I am clueless on the blower. As long as the blower drive doesn't stick out past the engine crank pulley, there will be enough room. You may need to run electric fans but many V8's have been swapped into these vans. Some of those guys will help you there. Look in the "V8 swap" section.

The 4x4 stuff I can help. First thing I see an issue with is that your 2WD subframe is not going to accept a front diff very well. Are you planning on getting an AWD subframe? If so, the rest will be pretty easy. You will also need a 4x4 or AWD transmission.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

With that much power I'd skip the S-10 stuff and go straight to (no pun untended) a straight front axle, and ditch the wimpy 7.5 hanging out back. Know anything about that, Dean?

I also feel that you will need more like 5"-6" of lift for the subframe to have enough room for the blower.

Other than that, I envy your project. :cheers:

Topic author
my4ateyour8

Post by my4ateyour8 »

Hey Lifted, thanks for the response. I got so carried away on making a short overview of my project and trying to skip the boring details I forgot to mention that I have located a complete front AWD subframe at a salvage yard, including, well, everything, and also I forgot to mention that I am going to toss the 2wd subframe. I also have a NP 2?? transfer case (I can't remember which one) that should handle the load. (It's not the small S10 one though.) As for the transmission I will pull one off the shelf and build it to handle the power. I build transmissions for a living.

Roy, thanks for the reply. I was hoping to keep the power levels reasonable and be able to keep the s10 stuff. I know that some of the S10 stuff is strong enough but maybe I should rethink this. I want to keep the IFS and I hope that a 5 to 6" lift is not required. There is about 10 inches from the manifold (base of the carb) to the bottom of the doghouse right now. I was hoping that 2 more inches would be enough. I did not want to hassle with more of a body lift than 2 inches.

I know that this will irritate some people but I am not planning this for serious offroading. I have a motorsports photography and journalism business (on the side) and I would llike to have a distinctive vehicle that is not a Hummer or a Dodge Magnum (can't afford one of those anyway) so I convinced myself that the Safari would be a good choice. I may occasionally need 4x4 for this but not for hard work, but, I have been planning on pulling a trailer sometimes. The stock Safari has a trailer rating of 5000 lbs., I believe, so I assumed that it would be strong enough for my uses.

I value the input and answers I have received. I know I am a newby here but I still consider you guys friends. Been a lurker for several months anyway.

Thanks again
BC

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Great plan so far BC.

I would definitely plan to swap out the weak 7.5" rear axle before planting the power to the ground. Peter installed a custom Currie 9" and had all the dimensions. He runs a 502 BBC. Smiliesafari installed a custom 12 bolt rear and the cost was around a grand. Mr Roboto installed a Ford 9" straight out of an E-150 van and only had a conversion u-joint and wheels to come up with. The wheel bolt pattern issue could be fixed with Moser or Dutchman axle shafts. I installed a Dana 60 out of an E-250 van but is running 8 lug wheels. :D

Since you are doing very minimal off-roading, you can get by with the stock Astro or S-10 front diff parts. You will just need to remember that the front axle will be the weak point as long as you swap out the rear.

Is it built yet? :muhaha:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

I agree with Dean after reading your last post. If you're gonna be fairly easy on it, the front end should be fine. If you're gonna tow, I'd still replace the rear axle. They do ok with the power of a 4.3 twisting on them, but add the torque of a blown V8, and I think it will be unhappy in short order (when towing).

As far as the clearance on the blower, find out how much it moves the carb or TBI up from it's original position. That's the amount of lift I'd consider. More than 3-4" and you should consider the welded spacers like Peter used in his van for 5" of lift. It's super strong.

ps, I drove an astro with a 4x4 2-speed case and front end disconnect for 2 years and the only "off-road" it saw was my yard, so no irritation here, lol.

I'm still green with envy. I gotta finish this flippin house! Grease and wrenches are so much better than joint compound and finishing knives!

Topic author
my4ateyour8

Post by my4ateyour8 »

Hey Lifted

Thanks for the info. I am hoping that I can change the rear at a later date and use the original for now.

As for the question, "is it built yet". Heck no, it's still sitting in my driveway while I try to get some work done on customer's cars, again in my driveway. (My wife thinks it's her driveway but actually the garage is her's but I have that full too.) I will be moving into a shop soon with a partner; since neither one of us can find a job right now we decided to start up on our own. Hope we are making the right decision. Then in a few months I will start on the van. Just aquiring knowledge right now. Buying up parts too.

Also note to rlsllc, the reason why I suggested that there may be irritation is I consider a 4x4 built only for looks to be about the same as a trailer queen. An item of contempt rather than admiration.

I'm hoping that 12 inches is enough room for the 144 blower. I may consider more front end lift if need be.

Thanks again
BC

reaper
I sleep in my van

Post by reaper »

I know someone who runs a underhood/non modded firewall/frame blower set up.
He does not run A/C.
He is not a member here,But I can contact him & perhaps provide more info here.
90 Astro Cargo V-8
90 Artro RS - V-8 Now running!
& a bunch of tractors
"there's nothing like a V-8 Polluting the Environment"

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

The clearance is tight, if you're good you might be able to do it. If you have a pusher fan it would be easier. Swapping to a late model clip if you had an early van may be a help, either that or you could probably get another inch or two moving the engine back before the dist hits the dog house. The other option is moving the radiator where the A/C condenser is if you're not running one. At that point it'd be pretty easy IMO.
Attachments
100_0243.JPG

badassastro
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by badassastro »

When I changed to the Corvette TPI engine, I had to modify the doghouse. Corvette engines run a bigger distributer.
85 pro street Astro, parted & scrapped
98 pro street Astro, 33x22 rear tires, all aluminum 335 hp LS1 motor
PRO STREET 4 LIFE

fasteddy

Post by fasteddy »

Run a hair dryer and clearance is no issue.