tune port swap ?s

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
regal200021
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

tune port swap ?s

Post by regal200021 »

hello guys i found a tune port out of an 89-90 camaro its a 350 what all am i going to need .... any one done this swap i got the mounts ... will i need fuel line.... fuel pump... any help would be great thanks

Regal :partyman:

95 astro 4x4
5 inch lift in front and 7 out back all made by me :)
31-11.5x15s tsl swampers
here are the pics....
more pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/regal200021

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: tune port swap ?s

Post by peter »

You'll need the car to make the swap painless. Wiring harness, computer, high pressure (40-60 psi) fuel pump and all the associated sensors.
I'm ashamed to admit that I've forgotten the name of a long-time member who did this swap.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

What kind of transmission came in the camaro? I've got a TPI from an '85 Firebird that I was thinking of putting in an astro, but I know the '85 had a 700r4 and my van has the 4L60E, so even with the computer from the car, I'd still have the transmission problem, so right now, I'm looking for an older model astro to dump the TPI engine in.

I think, (not sure) you might be able to get around that by using a stand alone fuel injection system. But that's not going to be cheap.
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

You'd probably need a stand alone transmission controller (both of you) unless you wanted to do a full manual VB then maybe not. I know with the 4L80Es you don't need an ECU if you do this. Besides that, the SD (87-92 I believe) is a lot easier to swap into a TBI van electrically IMO. The Speed Density setups are very close to the TBI system used in the Astro vans and should not require a ton of adaptation to make it work. I would probably strip the harness down and use a 1227730 or 1227749 box with some tuning software. You would also need to add the knock module and associated electrical for it b/c the later model ECUs had a different impedance knock sensor and the circuitry was integral to the ECU in many cases. The simplest way to see how plausible it is is to get the diagrams of the car and the harness and do a comparison.