Project thoughts.

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
original_balzer
I get chills without my van.

Project thoughts.

Post by original_balzer »

I hope its not too tech for here but its an overall project so I didnt know where to put it. As some of you may know my 86 2WD astro is currently dead. So I been thinking about it quite a bit. I have a 94 GMC K2500 6 lug Its worn out for the most part. It has a new 4l60e trans and a bad engine.

So heres what I have been thinking. I could drop the sub frame and get everything mocked up to put the 350 4l60e and 241 t-case in the van. I could then get the engine rebuilt and put it all together still as a 2wd. Then as funds and time allows I could start a solid axle conversion.

So here are some questions.
With all the v8 swaps here, is it fairly straight forward to mount the engine in the subframe while its out of the van and have it clear once I put the body back on?

I was thinking it would be nice to use a subframe lift to make stuff like changing the spark plugs easier, BUT with a solid axle swap Im not so sure I want the extra hight. I dont want the van to be super tall. I am thinking a suitable tire to shoot for would be a skinny 33" so like a 255x85x16, witch is about 10 wide and 33 tall. What are your oppinions on this thought? I can use less lift on the solid axle swap but that limits my up travel, I dont want the axle bottoming out on the bump stops during normal driving.
Last edited by original_balzer on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
original_balzer

Re: Project thoughts.

Sorry had to run do something. Anyway my main concern for now is to get it mocked up. It would make the swap eaiser if I can just do the subframe in my garage as its a VERY small garage. It would be a good winter project. I need to know how to place the engine so it all clears without having the body there. And I need to decide on body lift or no body lift.
modifing the trasn crossmember for the 4l60 and the t-case should be pretty easy and straight forward.

Next is the wireing harness and all the controls for the trans and engine. That might be time consuming but shouldnt be too complicated. Has anyone done this? I mean robbing wire harness from one vehicle to use in another. I figure I could just use everything from the truck in the van the computer and all. That way I shouldnt have to have the computer reprogramed for anything, it all should work just fine. Well once I do the solid axle swap I might have to reprogram for the gear change.

Well let me know what you think, good or bad or a better idea. I think it would be a much more fun project than building another pickup. I would like it to be simular to the SPB when it was first converted to solid axle. This will be my next daily drive once its done. My 97 GMC is still a good truck its just getting old and worn out. It would be easy to put a new engine in it and fix it up again but a 4x4 astro would be WAY more fun and original than just another GM pickup.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I am moving this to the V8 Swap section for now. Once you get around to doing the SAS, we can move it to the AWD/4x4 section.

This sounds like an awesome project! I like the sound of doing it the way you are. I think using the 2wd subframe will definitely allow you to do this in steps. Place the V8 in the subframe just like you were doing it to any ole 2WD Astro. Don't place the engine any further ahead than what the standard V8 swap engine mounts do. To get the correct placement for the new rear cross member, stick the 2wd tranny on and bolt it down. The measure the angle the engine sits at. Then, once you bolt the 4x4 tranny and t-case onto the engine, you can jack it up to the correct angle and build the cross member then.

Subframe lift...you will need it! The transfer case won't fit without at least a 2" lift. It will hit one of the body cross members. Plus with the 2" lift you will be able to access the plugs, wires, intake and other top end components. It makes working on the engine sooo much easier.

The wiring and controls I am not familiar with as far as swaps go. I would suspect the entire truck harness and computer could be used. Others will chime in about that though.

There will be one nice benefit with doing the swap this way...you will get a low range for some serious pulling torque or trailer backing.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
original_balzer

What company sell v8 swap mounts? I kinda figured I would have to build my own.
I guess I havent paid enough attention! :withstupid: I will have to read some of these swaps a little better when I get time Im sure most of the info I need is here.

Thanks for the answer on the sub frame lift.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Jags That Run sell the motor mounts for the 2WD vans. They are cheap enough too! All the wiring and computer swap info is definitely here. You will just have to do a lot of reading and learning.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
original_balzer

cool thanks! That should make things easier as far as putting the engine in the correct position. I think I need to sell off some other stuff. I have too many projects.