The V8 Club-a list of members

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Re: The V8 Club-a list of members

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Count me in, V8 daily driver lots of engine mods and all California Smog Legal, still in white primer tho`......

`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

nope only the old folks have the spare cash to throw a V8 in now if you intend to donate an LS1 or LQ9? i might be able to convince my little asian mechanic to let me use his garage

damn you got that in before my reply
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

I've clocked more than 3000 miles on my rebuilt 5.7 AWD astro. Still running strong. Need to complete fine Eprom tuning and install a vaccum assist FP regulator. Gas mileage isn't bad if I keep my foot off the pedal, but I just can't resist making people do double takes.

I hear you on the motor Rob. Everyone I know that has had an engine rebuilt by a so called rebuild shop has had issues before long. That's why I did mine myself. No one is going to give more specail attention to your stuff then yourself. It also gives a special feeling when you turn the key and she fires up with minimal effort. O:)
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

It also gives a special feeling when you turn the key and she fires up with minimal effort.
Chris is right,,kind of like your first crush. :muhaha:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Rebuilt and modded my 4 bolt motor also, gotta love that torque as it barks the tires shifting into 2nd and 3rd it pulls like a steam train. Insulting all the silly "ryce-boyz" around here at the stop light drags......
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

Darren
Those silly Rycer boyz...when will they learn? lol

I was beat at the track by a Honda in my first V8 van (the only time it has been beat by a rice mobile...except for passing fuel stations!) . I still had the last laugh though. The guy told me that he had to run nitrous in every gear to get passed me for the win (I had him out of the hole till after the 1000 foot mark). He then went on to tell me that he had spent over $22,000 on his engine and transaxle. He asked me how much I spent on the van to get it to go so quick. His chin hit the ground when I told him I had spent less than $3500 on my WHOLE van! If you spend your money in the right places (and have some luck hooking up off the line) it is possible to get these vans into the 13 second 1/4 mile range. I have since built faster and quicker combos...but they did cost a bit more than my first combination. If you learn how to do things yourself you can save a lot!

Rob, What is the matter with your V8 combo? People have told me to my face that I am a lying about installing a V8s into my vans. I made them put their money where their mouth was! Put up or shut up if you don't know what you are talking about! The rest of the non-believers were not worth wasting my breath on.
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

ASTROJOE LT1
I am merely driving my van

Post by ASTROJOE LT1 »

Did my swap in 2003. It is still my daily driver with no major problems so far.The $ 4.00 a gallon gas is starting to take a bite.
Joe

89 ASTRO CL Shorty,95 Corvette LT1 Engine,4L60E,

ImageImage

Topic author
GEJ

Post by GEJ »

ASTROJOE LT1 wrote:Did my swap in 2003. It is still my daily driver with no major problems so far.The $ 4.00 a gallon gas is starting to take a bite.

Joe,every time I see that engine photo,It's like one from a front cover.Well done.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

dafrogtoad
I get chills without my van.

Post by dafrogtoad »

yep..that's the pic that inspired me to paint my engine yellow w/black trim.
Thanks!!
350 hp full roller SBC
Vortec iron heads
Modded TBI, 65 inj. Aeromotove Fuel reg. Speckter/K&N filter
4 core rad. Stewart WP
Heddmans, Dynomax Ultra Flo X
Tach
Alpine
Lund Moon Visor

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

GEJ wrote:Joe,every time I see that engine photo,It's like one from a front cover.Well done.
Yes, it is very pretty.

If I would have known about Astro V8 swaps back in 96 when my 86's oil pump died, probably would have never traded it in on my 94, which I shouldn't have sold either.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

GEJ wrote:
ASTROJOE LT1 wrote:Did my swap in 2003. It is still my daily driver with no major problems so far.The $ 4.00 a gallon gas is starting to take a bite.

Joe, every time I see that engine photo, it's like one from a front cover. Well done.
Do I ever agree with Gary. Beautifully done, Joe.
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Agree with everyone else,,great job Joe and soooooo clean. I have to page up just one more time to take a look every time I see one of your posts. =D>
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

mikedamech

Post by mikedamech »

Oh, me me me me me. I love the power. I got to get a tach though, raced a Colorado through an intersection that goes into one lane and I think it was doing 7000 RPM, it wouldn't shift out of first. He never saw that coming.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1
94 Astro stock w/Flo master.

dj_joker_2002

Post by dj_joker_2002 »

I just got my V8 van on the road recently its now got 1800 miles on the new engine, trans and tires. minor problems such as alternator and leaking power steering pump but all is good. New exhaust will be done in two weeks. 68600 hedmans, into 2.5 Y with 3 inch out to converter, then to a cherry bomb turbo out to dual 2.5 pipes coming out under bumper.

catfishjn69

Post by catfishjn69 »

just thought I would speak up been keeping a low profile lately. My v-8 astro primary purpose in life it to pull my bass boat so it only gets around 3000 mile a year.
catfish
Jeremy from Indy home of the Indy 500, Brickyard 400, US Nationals, and of course the Colts
My astro is a 93 with a 355, world sprortsman heads, Performer cam, carb, manifold, Forged pistons, headers backed by a 700r4