My V8 safari gt

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: My V8 safari gt

Post by Rockwerx »

Do you have a couple of vans DJ or did you paint the white one blue? Looks like you are just about ready to run it on the road. Your new engine combo should perform well! I bet that it will do well on fuel also. After you burn a few tanks of fuel could you please post your fuel economy figures for your new V8 combination? Good luck DJ!
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

Topic author
dj_joker_2002

Post by dj_joker_2002 »

Actually I have just the one van it was blue and silver and I painted it white with black trim. I have never painted prior to this so I chose white to cover my lack of experience. And yes I will check the MPG and post it.
THe tiny little pistons of the 305 should help MPG's

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I know you'd like that to be the case but don't think you'll see that with the shorter stroke 305,,it's a HP to weight ratio thing which is difficult to achieve with this motor. My guess is,,you'll be right on what the 4.3 was getting.
Now that I ruined your day,,what else can I do for ya ? :axe:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Rockwerx

Post by Rockwerx »

Rebel wrote:
I know you'd like that to be the case but don't think you'll see that with the shorter stroke 305,,it's a HP to weight ratio thing which is difficult to achieve with this motor. My guess is,,you'll be right on what the 4.3 was getting.
Now that I ruined your day,,what else can I do for ya ? :axe:
The 305 has the same stroke as a 350 V8 and also a 4.3 V6...3.48 inch...the 305 has a smaller bore. One big plus over the V6 is that it will run so much smoother and it should make a bit more hp and torque over the 4.3. So even if you get the same fuel economy as the 4.3 you will like it a whole lot better!
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

I sure thought the 305 had a little shorter stroke,,guess not
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

May be thinking of the 307 (no not the olds one) 327 stroke and a bore that's something like 3.935 if I remember correctly. 305 is a 3.735 bore and 3.48 stroke. The smaller bore helps with NOx emissions. Can't wait to see what power ya make with it Joker. With those heads you have some serious potential there, and should be able to get 1hp/CID if it's tuned up right and you have a moderate cam. There was a guy on thirdgen.org that had a set of those heads, and he made something like 278 at the flywheel with the stock peanut cam which is nothing.

wagonmaster

Post by wagonmaster »

As I recall the 307's were 283's with 327 crankshafts for a longer stroke. Supposed to help power in the face of emissions...Didn't work! They were pigs of the first order and terrible with fuel economy besides! :vom:
Joe

Freedom isn't Free!
My cars/trucks and bikes on http://www.picturetrail.com/wagonmaster55

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

They are actually quite different than a 283, as a 283 was a small journal engine while the 307 was a medium journal engine. The large journal engine being the 400 SBC. Then again, it's sort of funny all 400s were dogs from the factory they never made a "hi po" version of it yet that seems to be where the blocks from them go any more.

wagonmaster

Post by wagonmaster »

Actually, the cranks were the same as late 327s, large (for the day) journal crankshafts, while they used the small 283 bore. Early 327's were small journal while later ones were larger. I actually built a "mini" stroker for my S-10 a couple of years ago by offset grinding the crank to small journal size on a late model 350. With a small +.020 over bore, I had 362 Cubic inches and MEGA torque for the street! It's a neat trick that I highly recommend if anyone is building a large journal motor.
Joe

Freedom isn't Free!
My cars/trucks and bikes on http://www.picturetrail.com/wagonmaster55

HotrodDaddy43
I get chills without my van.

Post by HotrodDaddy43 »

I know this is a very old post but, What is the scoop in this van from?

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Funny you should ask, old thread or not, thats a nice GT.
But the scoop you ask about looks to be the same thing I was eyeballing up at work last week on my boss's Subaru .
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

That is exactly right-I was walking through a local auto salvage yard and seen a subaru smashed in the front left side. I bought the hood for 10 bucks and used the center (scoop area)
to weld into my stock safari hood. I am still working on it because I want to make it functional but with a way to open and close it to keep rain from entering my intake.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

I think there were some airplane engines that used water injection to make them go faster.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

timelessbeing wrote:I think there were some airplane engines that used water injection to make them go faster.
I'm confused.I didn't find any other posts about water injection. :-s
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

markmitchinnh wrote:to keep rain from entering my intake.
try to keep up, Gary :poke: