Larger master cylinder?

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
kevinfin
I am merely driving my van

Larger master cylinder?

Post by kevinfin »

Hello - Has anyone had any experience swapping out the master cylinder for a larger, more powerful one? My 1990 Astro is a heavily modified RV (Provan Tiger). It has discs all around on custom axles (the rear came from a 2005 Chevy express 1500 and the front is completely custom). The engine is being swapped for a L33. My mechanic believes we could get a larger master cylinder in but I will likely need to use a reservoir from an astro to fit under the hood. Any thoughts on swapping out master cylinders? Thank you for your time.

Link to some pics of the RV rebuild. I have not updated for new brakes, axle, engine though: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9130774@N ... 0063930736

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: Larger master cylinder?

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

Do you have hydra boost for braking assist rather than brake vacuum diaphragm?

What size wheels?

Maybe just get bigger brake rotors and calipers and 17" wheels to fit the larger brake pieces.

AP

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

WOW!

Kevin, I looked through your flicker pics and had to comment. You have created a beautiful RV.
I'm a big fan of frame / support upgrades for these vans particularly when altering the box like the tiger does.
Your interior work is awesome too, I like your ideas.

Your rear end is from a 1500, does that include the rear brakes as well? what have you on the front wheels? I'd start by looking at the brake systems from a 1500 and see what GM used on the heavier vans and trucks. Do what research you can on the web, Rock auto is great for the parts lookup and GM Parts East as well but you'll still want to pester your local auto parts guy so you can see the parts first hand to compare. Bring him coffee and doughnuts, he won't toss you out so fast...
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Topic author
kevinfin

Post by kevinfin »

Hey Astrophysics - Thank you for responding. Only have the stock, so no hydra boost. Will look into that. The wheels are 16X7. I’ve got the brakes from the express 1500 in the back, super beefy. And my mechanic is begging the front ground up, so those will be beefy too.

Hey WoodButcher - Thank you. Ton of work, but i am at a loss when it comes to the heavy mechanical stuff. I need to ask what he’s putting on the front exactly. My mechanic knows to go big! (I've lost my brakes TWICE in the mountains.) It’s going to be a franken-axle. I’ll get some pics and post if you like. Thank you for the tip on rock auto and others.

Incidentally, not sure how others do V-8 swaps, but this was done by dropping the subframe. We took that opportunity to streamline and reinforce the frontend and put in some stout engine mounts (custom). I’ll be updating those pics to show the new axles, brakes, track and sway bars, suspension, and other stuff I’ve been throwing money at…I’ll post you a note when i do.