Pop Top Roofs

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Pop Top Roofs

Post by T.Low »

Bryan, glad to see you come out; the closet is no place for someone with your expertise and professionalism. :cheers:

I didn't bother to mention GTRV in the DIY parts conversation because when I brought it up to Mike ( albeit 5 1/2 years ago) he was pretty clear about not selling DIY tops. It's great to see your enthusiasm for getting your parts out into the hands of capable ( or courageous, at least :rolleyes: ) van owners.

As for me, I'm really glad I could drop mine off with you and go mtn biking and paddling instead of hoping I was cutting and attaching my roof correctly.

I must say, I went to one GTRV Owners rally, and every single one of those people were absolutely head over heals in love with GTRV.

Looking forward to seeing you van.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

PhillipB
I am merely driving my van

Post by PhillipB »

Bump. Has anyone taken up Bryan on his offer to supply parts for DIY camper top conversions? Anybody on the East Coast (Philly) interested in a group order to split freight costs?

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

PhillipB
Wow this is an old thread. I've always admired those pop tops. I'd love to throw in with you if I wasn't so deep into the "power to all four wheels-low range-cast iron diff-save the AWD" scene. Nice to see someone working this
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

I'm interested in a T-top type conversion, not sure if GTRV offers that style for Astro like CCV. I like the look of the GTRV roof more than the CCV but for me I think the CCV T-top would be much more user friendly with the additional height and space.

$500 isn't terrible for freight but I could also probably get to CCV and back for close to that in fuel. I'd certainly like to be able to source parts and perform the labor myself though. I guess I'd be interested in knowing what a kit would cost.

Captn, the thread's not that old, I remember it like it was yesterday! Kinda... :D
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

The thing about the CCV I think, is that you can leave your memory foam and sleeping bag up there when you close it up. You cannot do that with the GTR be, so it needs to be folded and stored down below. That, to me, is huge. I would prefer the straight up CCV.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Ozarker

Post by Ozarker »

I think I saw where the OP had a donor van, but if there was one that would be topless anyway, I'd cut the top out about an inch+ around the existing pop-up top and weld or screw the top over the hole of my converted van roof. Then, it's just body work using the entire pop-up system. You might get any need part from that manufacture or fab them.

I need a pop-up for mine as well, I'd hate to make the whole thing but just might! :)

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Wiley »

T.Low wrote:The thing about the CCV I think, is that you can leave your memory foam and sleeping bag up there when you close it up. You cannot do that with the GTR be, so it needs to be folded and stored down below. That, to me, is huge. I would prefer the straight up CCV.
An old but good point, does anyone have a pic of it stored up, and how much space it would require? There would certainly be times when I would like to chill in the van without having to pop the top.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley