Pop Top Roofs

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
Jon_Lightning
I am merely driving my van

Pop Top Roofs

Post by Jon_Lightning »

I would like to convert a high top conversion van into a pop top camper. This would be similar to a VW Westfalia Camper. I would like to hear others thoughts on this type of project.

Pros
There are a million Astro Vans out there for cheap
You already have a fiberglass top
The hole is already cut in the roof
Most conversion vans come with a rear seat that converts into a bed.

Cons
Finding all the necessary parts to make this conversion
(Rear lift hinges and lifting mechanism)
Insurance

I know I could just buy a Westy but the GM engine is so much better
The vehicle is better suited for towing
Parts are cheap
Service is available everywhere

Let me hear your thoughts all.

Thanks
J Lightning

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Pop Top Roofs

Post by T.Low »

I've always thought it seemed like a good idea.

One thing I've read by Colorado camper van is that the conversion tops are very difficult to remove in the first place.

I'd think between Colorado Camper Van and GoWesty, you'd be able to source parts.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

I don't think it would be that bad to remove the top T.
I'd bet if you took all the screws out then threaded a thin cable between fiberglass and sheetmetal two people could "saw" through the adhesive.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Sawzall and an angle grinder will work miracles too.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
Jon_Lightning

Post by Jon_Lightning »

Hmmm, guess I never thought how the existing fiberglass top is fastened down on a conversion van. What parts do you think would be needed to make a conversion like this happen. Seems like parts might be the hardest part of this project? Think there would be interest from others on this forum.

Let me know.

Lightning

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Hinges, latches, gas struts, fabric, framing, and a bungee cord.
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
Jon_Lightning

Post by Jon_Lightning »

This all sounds simple. I have not had much luck sourcing the rear lift hinges. Items like struts and bungee cord can be found at a number of locations. I suspect the VW lift hinges would not work as the profile of the roof is probably different? Canvas could be special ordered or made by a local shop. Help with sourcing the hinges.

No offense Westy owner but why you think those old tired worn out vans are worth so much money. Lordy they be expensive. If I wanted a piece of junk I could spend a whole lot less money. Just saying.

Help me out guys.

Lightning

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

What did Colorado Camper Van say a bout parts? Can he sell you a complete DIY kit?
ImageImageImageImage

Mathil

Post by Mathil »

I can help out with hinges, or a full pop top kit if you like. I make hinges that are essentially the same as the Reimo hinges used on westfalias.

Shipping is an issue with a pop top. Last time I shipped one it was a package about 1'x5.5'x10', weight depends on what parts can be fabricated on site.

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Mathil, where are you located?
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

Mathil

Post by Mathil »

Vancouver, BC.

Topic author
Jon_Lightning

Post by Jon_Lightning »

Good Morning I am merely driving my van

I would be interested in knowing about the availability / or purchasing hinges and or a top and hinges. Is this the forum for this discussion or do we need to take this elsewhere. Don't wanna get booted but I suspect others may have an interest also in converting a van or an already converted van into a pop top.

Shipping may be able to be worked out. There are web sites where people bid on moving less than truckload shipments.

Let me know. This is kinda exciting on finding people who have this same interest. The timing of the response is interesting. I just got back from Montana. Basically I was in your neighborhood.

Sincerely,
J Lightning

Mathil

Post by Mathil »

I'll come out of the closet, and say that I'm Bryan Wiesendahl, owner/operator of GTRV.

I joined this site because I'm currently building my own 4WD conversion camping/hunting rig based on an Astro. I chose the astro because of the easy 4WD conversion, the nice size, availability of affordable chassis, and the fact that we've had a pop-top mould kicking around the shop for the past 15 years or so... We've gotten rid of our other "older" moulds because of lack of demand, but I wouldn't think of getting rid of the Astro because of its practicability and it's popularity. We've stopped doing full conversions on Astros (mainly because the cabinetry was 'out of date', and most people don't want to pour 20,000$ into a 5,000$ van) but still do quite a few pop-tops and "weekenders".

I can offer a "kit" based on the parts you can't make yourself, economized for those who are handy enough to do some installation/fabrication. This could include, or exclude if you choose to make certain parts yourself, the fibreglass top, the hinges, the tent, the struts, the reinforcing ring for the roof cutout, etc.

With kits I require some kind of guarantee that you won't make copies of my pop-top fibreglass, and thus by extension my mould. If you look at the time we came out with our Ford conversion, and then see when PleasureWay came out with their "traverse" model, you'll see that they acquired one of our vans and took copies of our roof. Been there done that, don't want something similar to happen again.

As it stands, our installed pop-top runs around 5000$. The amount you save in a kit would depend on the parts you build yourself, and the labour I don't have to spend to install it.

I'm also a dealer for Reimo, and could order in official Reimo roof hinges (the ones I make copies of) if sufficient interest was shown. I don't believe any other company, like the bus depot, brings them in. I started making them because the hassles of paying for, and shipping them from Germany became more than the hassle of making them myself.

I've experienced sticker shock dealing with other communities who were trying to organize group buys and part development, namely the Delica van owners. I know it's like trying to herd a group of cats trying to get a group buy together. I'm not here to organize such, but am here to consult and help people get what they need at the best price they can. I've benefited from the likes of T.Low and other customers who have forged the path in other areas, and I'm sure I have some knowledge/capabilities that I could extend to the community.

I tried to find a thread dealing with vendors and sellers on this forum, but couldn't find one. I know some boards are very strict with what they allow, so if I've crossed any lines a mod can contact me and let me know what I should do. Just trying to help!

FYI, last time I used a LTL shipper for an astro roof, going from Vancouver to San Francisco, it was around 500$. It's a big, heavy package that either needs 2 burly men or a forklift, so it's a bit harder to ship than, say, half a truck full of 12"x12"x12" boxes.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Mathil wrote:I'll come out of the closet, and say that I'm Bryan Wiesendahl, owner/operator of GTRV.

I tried to find a thread dealing with vendors and sellers on this forum, but couldn't find one. I know some boards are very strict with what they allow, so if I've crossed any lines a mod can contact me and let me know what I should do. Just trying to help!
Welcome Bryan. We don't have a vendor/seller area except for the the "For Sale" section at the bottom. We have no problem with you selling the parts here as long as it stays Astro/Safari specific. We don't need or want the hassles from anyone and everyone coming here possibly looking for parts or prices from GTRV.

Please post up lots of pics and info of your pop-tops so you can drum up some business for the DIY'er here who can't or won't spend the $5k for a complete top.

I am moving this thread to the "Body/Exterior" section.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Welcome to the forum Bryan.
LOL, looks like we have another guy that's going to pour 20 K into a 5 K van.... No better advertisement than running your own. I had a thought maybe you could use for a DIY kit, I don't know if it's feasible but you might work with it.
To use existing high tops possibly cut all round and apply mating extrusions on the upper and lower pieces. If you could source and or fabricate the approximate radius for the corners who ever installed could adjust to fit.
Dunno, might be to complex to sell as DIY, even super simple things people will screw up and blame the kit.
Here is an example.
http://www.hamgadgets.com/blog/2013/11/ ... -the-cake/

Keep up the good work.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)